PDA

View Full Version : turbo fwd

celica1990gts
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
i was just wondering if there is any celica owners out there autox a turbo fwd. the reason i ask is because i would like to turbo it but i have a feeling that i would have a problem coming out of corners and loosing traction from building up boost. would i be better off going with a 3sge swap and running all motor? let me know your thoughts. thanks

Mafix
03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
ia oing to bu s it turns out it isn't good. the weight on the front end is way too much, terrible power without the turbo spinning and way too much with it spinning.

celica1990gts
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah its a big delema cause i love the feel of a turboed car but i love taking corners fast without burning up tires so im thinking of just going with a na 3sge swap with basic add ons such as exhaust, intake, cams, ect. and a bunch of suspension mods to further the handling. i know if i build a turbo motor i still won't be as fast most of my friends cars but they do have a hard time keeping up with me in the corners with my 5s. and the corners are way more fun to drive than a straight line. does anybody know where i can get a 1990-1993 3sge swap from for cheap

Lagos
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Just because the car is fwd doesnt mean its just going to spin. You control the power with your right foot. Id take a turbo fwd car over an NA fwd car any day of the week.

cms-gt4
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
The Cobalt SS & the Mazda Speed 3 seems to do well at autox. I am sure if you set the car up right and learn to drive it right, that it would be just fine.

celica1990gts
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
The Cobalt SS & the Mazda Speed 3 seems to do well at autox. I am sure if you set the car up right and learn to drive it right, that it would be just fine.

isn't the mazda speed 3 awd? and the cobalt is supercharged so wont that have an effect on power in the lower rpms?

cms-gt4
03-02-2009, 02:28 AM
MS6 is awd. MS3 is fwd with the same turbo I4 engine. The current Cobalt SS is turbo. http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

celica91gts
03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
let the clutch slip a bit instead of just letting it catch hard. it helps me keeps traction when i rev match and downshift before a corner. also helps you turn because your car's weight isn't thrown around so violently.

Slider
03-02-2009, 07:16 AM
I believe both of the MS3 and the Cobalt SS come with LSD. So they might have an easier time. On the really tight corners you would probably spin the inside tire if you're not careful. With some good tires and modulation you will be fine, especially with the small stock turbo.

celica1990gts
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
I believe both of the MS3 and the Cobalt SS come with LSD. So they might have an easier time. On the really tight corners you would probably spin the inside tire if you're not careful. With some good tires and modulation you will be fine, especially with the small stock turbo.

i had planned on going with a 5s build with a borg warner t3 turbo, but since this is also my daily driver i am starting think that a turbo build would be the worst thing to do at this time. i think going with a n/a 3sge swap with a few minor mods would be in my best intrest. so now i'm just trying to locate a jspec 3sge gen 2 motor, wiring harness, and ecu for less than a $1000

KoreanJoey
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
If you decide to try and autocross w/ a turbo FWD car just make sure not to put an enormous turbo that takes all day to spool and as a very nonlinear power progression.