PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte all- trac (awd) tranny / in a 1988 GT FWD Chassis

MR. FWD
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey, I have a question, i hope someone can answer. I have a 1988 GT FWD.

1.) Will a 3sgte alltrac (awd) tranny fit and mount space wise in a 88 GT FWD body ?

2.) If i take the rear drive assembly(used on awd, for the rear wheels) off the back of the tranny, and cap it off with a cover plate, will it send all the engines power to the front wheels, or will it still send power towards the rear of the tranny causing loss of power to the front wheels ?

Thanks !

Freshnicity
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171&highlight=fwd+conversion

^Everything youll need to know, should answer your second question.

Not sure about the first question though, dont know if it will fit.

burnyd
02-26-2009, 08:22 PM
you can research on your own your second because it has been asked so many damn times that you can search or simply check the stickies...

but, there are three mounts on that transmission... the mount under the rad will work with a GT style mount perfect. The rear mount will work if you have the crossmember from a alltrac... the top mount that is connected closest to the drivers side fendor will have to be made.

VikingJZ
02-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Dude, Dan, chill.

We're not ClubLexus here.

Being helpful like Fresh is makes us better than the forums that DON'T like being helpful, and resort to telling people to search.

To MR. FWD, welcome to CelicaTech. The thread that Fresh posted does indeed have all the info. There's lots of information on these cars, so peek around if you get a chance, and ask questions when you need to.

Good luck!

burnyd
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
^^ This or a variation like this gets asked almost 3-4x a week.

MR. FWD
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Thank you Gent's ! APPREICIATE IT.

StormyBklyn
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, how about this variation of the question (don't think I've ever seen this asked before)...

Can you take a frame from an ST185, as well as the drivetrain, and put the body panels from an ST184 on it? For example, take the shell off of an All Trac, and put on the body panels from a convertible? That might be an interesting project, if it's doable. Convertible All Trac. :lolhittin

For some reason I don't think it would work, though. I wouldn't imagine the body panels would line up, or that there would be room for all the extra mechanics of the top.