PDA

View Full Version : How To Fit Koni Shocks On The Rear Of St182

tripod23
02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
hi guys - iv just received a pair of koni rear shocks for my st182, thinking it was a case of cutting the original housing to insert the koni. but it appears after some measurments that the konis are too long.im sure iv read that some of the guys have modded the genuine toyota housing to allow the fitting of other brands of shocks. i think i read that someone had extended the top of the housing and welded a piece in place. - but is it safe to cut the sealed factory strut with a hacksaw. on the koni website iv noticed that they are saying these shocks are for kyb only.............has anybody had these problems and could you please give any advice . i dont really want to buy kyb struts as well just to accept the koni insert , any help would be great cheers guys

METDeath
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
hi guys - iv just received a pair of koni rear shocks for my st182, thinking it was a case of cutting the original housing to insert the koni. but it appears after some measurments that the konis are too long.im sure iv read that some of the guys have modded the genuine toyota housing to allow the fitting of other brands of shocks. i think i read that someone had extended the top of the housing and welded a piece in place. - but is it safe to cut the sealed factory strut with a hacksaw. on the koni website iv noticed that they are saying these shocks are for kyb only.............has anybody had these problems and could you please give any advice . i dont really want to buy kyb struts as well just to accept the koni insert , any help would be great cheers guys

KYB makes the Toyota shock for our cars. What I personally did was went a junkyard (breakers) and got a pair of shocks for $30 and modified those, and then had them powder coated. I personally drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the housing first. Then I proceeded to use a cutoff wheel on an air compressor tool to cut as close to the weld sealing the top as I could.

When you to this, make sure to have something nearby to catch the old oil/coolant, so that you don't make a mess. When I installed the Koni I made sure to use a thread locker on the bolt holding it in. Make sure the dust boot is covering the top of the housing so that dirt can not get into it. Then simply install as normal.

tripod23
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
right i under stand it now - just to confirm where i cut , there is a very straight line all the way round the top of the tube just below where the welded top is situated - would you say that is where the cut should be done - because any hire up the tube and it appears to taper inward slightly towards the welded top washer / nut....cheers many thyanks for your quick reply

Shadowlife25
02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
We have this info stickied.
Look here:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6031

RedRkt01
02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
You Konis should have directions on how to peroform this modification. If you don't have it then I will post it up here for you. The directions should cover everything you want to know. I recently read them and know for a fact that it tells you exactly where to cut the tube. Lemme know if you need anything from me.

tripod23
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
if you could post it up that would be great - as the distructions that come with the shocks in the box are not very good in explaining. im 99 percent sure what to do but as you can imagine once there cut there cut . im also guessing that the cut is not that acurate because of the nature in which they are fitted ie they dont have a screw top so i was thinking that as long as they are the same length as the original ones [ which i will cross reference when i get them out ] then the job should be good.im also going to get them stripped and derusted to bare metal and powder coated - i will post pic up of the job as i do it. - i went for konis thinking they were the best i just hope i havent wasted my money......................thanks for all your input guys - i havent posted for a while and the quick response is awesome keep up the good work [ simon ] st182 uk gti

RedRkt01
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I'll get that posted for you as soon as I can. That may be a couple of days as my computer at home is on the fritz.

As far as inserts go, Konis are the best.

Shadowlife25
02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
See post #4.