PDA

View Full Version : soda blasting

twinkletoestheirishninja
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
so im about to paint my 6th gen a completely different color and was looking into ways of striping what Ive got now. my friend who is selling me the paint supply's at 80% off retail told me to sand blast it, but i was watching two guys garage and they mentioned soda blasting. using baking soda which strips the paint but doesn't scratch the glass or gouge the sheet metal.

just wondering if anyone had herd of this method. dose it work and is it just plain old baking soda that's been sieved?

Carolina91GT-S
03-11-2009, 03:21 AM
I haven't done it but I have investigated it. It works like sand blasting but you don't reclaim the media, it is safe to just let it fall where it may. It is not as aggressive though so it will take forever to do a whole car this way. I have been considering it though since I do want to do a color change as well.

Up date this thread if you decide to go for it.

joe's gt
03-11-2009, 04:10 AM
What condition is your paint in right now? I have painted my own car, panel by panel method, cuz I was in the process of doing a swap and body preparation is 10 times more important than the spraying itself. The finish is only as good as the preparation that went into it.

If your paint is in good condition with just minor oxidation and no rust, you can safely sand it down with an orbital, spend some time hand sanding, and finish it off with 600 grit wet sanding. That should provide a nice surface for the primer to adhere to. Whatever you do don't go too smooth, because the primer needs a slightly rough surface to adhere to.

If your planning on stripping it down to the metal, which isn't necessary if your paint and body are in even decent condition, I don't have much experience with that, so can't help you there.

My biggest (sorry for being redundant, but I can't stress it enough ) advice is spend the time on the sanding, bondo, and whatever other body preparation is necessary and you won't be disappointed. The scenario is to spend all that money on paint and supplies just to have to do it all over again because dents and scratches were showing through from inadequate body preparation.

Good luck man. It is a very rewarding experience. Not to mention, if your good at it, you can make a shit ton of money doing small jobs for friends and such on the side.

twinkletoestheirishninja
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
hey thanks, the paint isn't in great condition the previous owner didn't take care of it. there are numerous stress fractures, minor rust, a busted drivers side fender, and the clear coat is peeling in a few spots and and some SOB at work keyed my car yesterday from the fender all the way to the quarter panel. i might try to just paint over it and will update when i do just trying to finish my kit.weather finally warmed up here from 0-30 degrees to 50-70 so soon. woot!