PDA

View Full Version : Rhd

Night_Wolf
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering who has converted their car from LHD to RHD?

grayscale
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
The only person here that I know of that has done it is itsoktosmokev8s. His car is for sale here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39503

METDeath
02-23-2009, 11:15 PM
itsoktosmokev8s has done a RHD conversion. He's actually selling the car.

Night_Wolf
02-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Yea i found that thread. It looks really nice.

Mr. Babb
02-24-2009, 12:09 AM
me

Corey Darling
02-24-2009, 01:12 AM
So has "the mad scientist"

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38450&page=1&

Night_Wolf
02-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Well for those of you who did the swap, did you have to swap some floor panels, or did you just swap the firewall, and dash components?

balang_479
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I will never understand RHD conversions.... why would anyone want a car which is inconvenient to drive and weird to shift...(unless it was a Skyline)

Mr. Babb
02-24-2009, 11:20 AM
just the fire wall and the dash components. and it is only slightly inconvenient and not weird to shift

balang_479
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
just the fire wall and the dash components. and it is only slightly inconvenient and not weird to shift

yeah but still.... i see no advantage whatsoever... there are only cons to swapping (unless you live in a RHD country).... it is beyond me..

joe's gt
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
^ its for the rarity of the set up. You don't see many in America and you really just have to get use to it. Its just something different and personal preference. I applaud people who take on such projects because they are making their cars different and unique. I wouldn't do, because I am afraid I'd end up driving on the wrong side of the road or something.

For me, its kind of like the same reason I don't want a subaru wrx. I think they are awesome cars and have great potential. but everyone has a subaru or wants a subaru and they are not rare.

Not everyone has a RHD and it would be interesting to see driving down the road and would add personalization to your vehicle.

You are right in that there is no advantage, its just something different and personal preference. For me it would be inconvenient, but for someone else it is rewarding because it makes them different and not just blend in with everyone else on the road.

Night_Wolf
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
me
So what kind of celica did you take the firewall from?

balang_479
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
^ its for the rarity of the set up. You don't see many in America and you really just have to get use to it. Its just something different and personal preference. I applaud people who take on such projects because they are making their cars different and unique. I wouldn't do, because I am afraid I'd end up driving on the wrong side of the road or something.

For me, its kind of like the same reason I don't want a subaru wrx. I think they are awesome cars and have great potential. but everyone has a subaru or wants a subaru and they are not rare.

Not everyone has a RHD and it would be interesting to see driving down the road and would add personalization to your vehicle.

You are right in that there is no advantage, its just something different and personal preference. For me it would be inconvenient, but for someone else it is rewarding because it makes them different and not just blend in with everyone else on the road.

I suppose in the US its quite rare, but in EU you see UK cars often and its a normal thing, if its RHD its british... ive never heard of anyone converting here in EU... youd simply buy a car with it already... its a huge waste of money IMHO..

METDeath
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, it could be useful for postal drivers, that are used to driving RHD Jeeps all day long. They wouldn't get confused switching between LHD and RHD vehicles.

Corey Darling
02-25-2009, 02:19 AM
They wouldn't get confused switching between LHD and RHD vehicles.

Nope. Comes as naturally as anything else in fact. The only thing that catches me when i hop out of one, into the other is the turn signals lol. At least once I'll end up hitting the wrong lever.

RHD in a big city is inconvenient because of the number of left hand turns that usually don't have advanced green signals, this, coupled with all the traffic trying to turn against you, and it can get stressful quick.

In a smaller city or town with less traffic, its no problem what so ever, and I love it.

As an example for those who are familiar. I will drive RHD in Nanaimo all day long. But 1 hour away in Victoria, I'll take my GF firefly.

Mr. Babb
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
So what kind of celica did you take the firewall from?
I bought a JDM Half cut of a ST185

VikingJZ
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Its cool but not for me.

I wouldn't want to drive one daily or even semi daily.

Safer for cops who stop you I guess. Would confuse the hell out of some of the Indiana cops though. We don't get that kind of stuff here.

a_mounty
02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
id do it just for the look on the cops face when he goes to the left side of the car.

lol

Corey Darling
02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
First thing most police officers do here when you get stopped is "Show me your RHD car is legal" Followed by, "pop up your headlights" to check for DOT stamps.

Mr. Babb
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I have yet to be pulled over in mine since converting it but I have several friends who are cops and they tell me there is nothing wrong with it and they think it would be funny if I got into an accident because they would have to write up the accident report differently.

renegadex
03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
RHD is perfect if you love Checkers or Ralleys, what ever you want to call it.

Corey Darling
03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
RHD is perfect if you love Checkers or Ralleys,

I saw a commercial for checkers a while back. I thought the same thing!

We don't have either in Canada :(

Mr. Babb
03-01-2009, 02:51 AM
or guthries

but who cares drive thru's are for lazy asses anyway! :lolhittin