PDA

View Full Version : New Pistons?

Metroxfi
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a '93 Gt 5sfe, I've been looking into getting the webcam 294 mild grind cams for it and i'm wondering if it would be a dumb idea to do either some brand new piston or even high compression pistons at the same time.

I had read somewhere that the the piston itself are the same for the 5sfe and 3sgte, is that true? if so it would make it a hell of alot easier to find high comp ones.

But if anyone has some good advice as to what are some good places to get some slightly higher compression pistons (preferably forged) along with rods (also forged) that would be great. If anyone has any in their engine i'd like to hear some feedback about if they like them. They Don't have to be extreme high perfomance, obviously the 5sfe doesn't redline very high at all, but i'd like something that will give a bit of a all-a-round boost as well as have a long life.

If anyone has any feedback it would be great, also throw me some numbers- what cost should i expect for a decent set of pistons, rods, and maybe a light port job (obviously varies from shop to shop) I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks guys!

Roundy
02-23-2009, 01:52 AM
I don't believe they are the same, the 5S has an 87mm bore and the 3S an 86mm bore.

I like your train of thought with this engine :)

Sang
02-23-2009, 05:53 AM
I had read somewhere that the the piston itself are the same for the 5sfe and 3sgte, is that true?
No.

if so it would make it a hell of alot easier to find high comp ones.
Most all companies can make custom pistons. Just ask...

But if anyone has some good advice as to what are some good places to get some slightly higher compression pistons (preferably forged)
Read above.

along with rods (also forged) that would be great.
We carry Pauters for a 5S, as well as Eagles for a 3S. The Eagles are significantly cheaper, but requires money to machine a 5S crank to 3S rod sizes and in the end, it'll cost the same amount of money. The differece? Eagles are some of the lightest rods you can get without going crazy like titanium rods ;)

They Don't have to be extreme high perfomance
OEM 3SGTE rods are dirt cheap. Get them resized and balanced. Use ARP rod bolts and get your crank machined for 3S rods. You'll save about $300 or so over getting pauters, and the rods should be good for 400+whp.