PDA

View Full Version : Since it is winter time...

Ryan
02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
For anyone that is in a location that gets a lot of snow, I think we should make a thread about what your cleaning habits are in the winter time.

I know some of us only have one car, and we have to drive it all year around.

-Lets post what we do to keep the interior clean, how we clean it..

-How we keep the exterior clean.

-What we do for the engine bay.

1. I try to keep my interior as clean as possible. It is very hard to do, especially the carpets, because of the snow, and the sand/salt they use to keep the roads clear. I usually try to make it to the local car wash once a week to sweep out the interior. Then I go back home and clean the panels and dash with a new product I found that gives the interior a nice shine, and protects it. It also resists dust. I think it is made by UV2.

As far as glass, I use Invisible Glass, it works great, and keeps the windows clean for quite a while.

I also clean the leather with one of 2 products. I have found that Zymol makes an excellent leather cleaner/conditioner set. It makes it look like new, and smells really good.

I have also found something by Meguiars. It is Foamy leather cleaner. It conditions it, cleans it, and leaves it looking great. It smells very good as well. I have used it a few times on my car, and it lasts for quite some time.

2. As far as the exterior goes. I know it gets cold in the winter time, but I force myself to go to the car wash at least once a week. I dont like seeing my baby dirty, and I never want to see rust on her.

Usually, before winter comes, I check and make sure the undercoating is holding up ok, and if it is not, I touch it up, or put a new coat on it. I found this stuff at Advance Auto that is a spray on bed liner. It works good, and doesnt chip off like undercoating.

Other than that, during the winter time, I make sure and thoroughly clean my car, including the underside. I also use either Purple Power, or Meguiars hot wheels for wheel cleaner.

By cleaning your car regularly, it shows that you care about your car, and it also helps prevent rust.

3. As far as my engine bay goes, I try and keep it as clean as possible. This isnt just for looks though.

When working on your car, you dont want to have to fight through layers of dirt, grease, and grime.

By keeping the engine bay clean, it will make it a little easier on you when you are working on your car. And it will also give it a nice little touch and tell others that you care about your cars appearance.

I usually use some sort of degreaser to keep it all clean, and after making sure it is nice and clean, I use Meguiars Hot Shine tire shine and give all of the hoses, and plastic pieces a nice coat to make it shimmer.

I also like to use black wire loom to cover wires up, and give it a nice factory look.

For any polished metal on the car, I use Eagle 1 Nano Polish wheel polish. It works very good. I also use this on the headlights.

Before winter comes, I also wax my car with Meguiars Gold class Paste wax. I have found this to give the paint the best finish.

So post up what you guys do/use.

92VertGT
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm a little less complex, I just vacuum out the interior about once every other week and use Armor All pretty much everywhere that there isn't carpet, cloth or glass and just rinse the exterior off with high pressure water, don't even bother drying it. Lol.

goretro77
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
just a tip: to take silicon and spray it into a rag then use that rag to go over the weatherstripping for your doors. Prevents icing up and frozen doors - especially when rain freezes over - or in this case - after washing your car then its sits outside overnight.

VikingJZ
02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
My habits are pretty lax in the winter.

I usually just condition the leather TONS during the warm months. I vacuum the car every few weeks or so.

I also have color matched rubber floor mats in both my cars. I just pick a set up from WalMart or where ever.

Meguire's Number 45 Professional Cleaner is the best interior vynil/plastic/leather cleaner and conditioner I have used. It smells like "new car" and works well, too.

Ryan
02-24-2009, 05:26 AM
just a tip: to take silicon and spray it into a rag then use that rag to go over the weatherstripping for your doors. Prevents icing up and frozen doors - especially when rain freezes over - or in this case - after washing your car then its sits outside overnight.

Good tip!!!!

VikingJZ
02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Some people say you can use stuff like Vaseline for the door seals.

Ryan
03-01-2009, 04:23 AM
I wouldnt use vaseline on a car like ours that dont have a frame around the windows for the simple fact that it would get on the glass and then be a PITA to clean off..

On a side note, post #2500!

joe's gt
03-01-2009, 05:04 AM
^ that's because your a post whore. lol. If we took all your one word posts you'd have about 500. lol. j/k Ryan.

For cleaning in the winter......my cleaning habits are waiting till summer ;)

Ryan
03-01-2009, 06:29 AM
I dont like to leave the one word posts.

I just try and help people out as much as I can. Being unemployed at the moment, I dont have much else to do.. :hehe:

brak
03-03-2009, 09:29 AM
As far as keeping the interior clean...

Since i live in Snow Central, good floormats are key.

I prefer rubber mats that have deep tread, so that as the snow on my shoes (inevitable) melts, it collects in the mat, and not on the carpet.

Cavanagh
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
^ that's because your a post whore. lol. If we took all your one word posts you'd have about 500. lol. j/k Ryan.

For cleaning in the winter......my cleaning habits are waiting till summer ;)
:lolhittin :inout:

slycoco
03-07-2009, 07:50 AM
it rains alot where im from so i just vaccum the interior and wait to wash my car untill it doesnt rain for a whole week. i dont need water spots all over my car.