PDA

View Full Version : So my roommate picked up a pathfinder

MCcelica
02-20-2009, 04:27 PM
It's a 91. Had a stripped timing belt. Missing 15 teeth. But he got it for $500. I was helping 'em work on getting the timing belt replaced last night but we had to remove the rocker arm stays to set the timing. One of the rockers was pretty bashed up, so we're taking off the heads to make sure the valves are ok. We had to remove the radiator to get to where we were at the end of last night. It's kind of close quarters in there. When we were trying to get the crank pulley off though, we were having clearance issues with the extractor. Reason why was a huge dent where it looked like one of the previous owners smacked a pole or tree or something.

It wasn't bad enough to crack the radiator. Just enough to move the core support around enough to make getting that radiator out a royal pain. It also put a nice fold in the AC condenser. And that was where our clearance issue with the pulley extractor was. The crank pulley was directly lined up with that fold in the condenser. So he was standing there pounding on it to get just enough clearance to get the pulley off.

Well, I told 'em "Be right back". Went out to my celi, and got the scissor jack. Got back in there, picked up a piece of his old hockey stick, braced one side of the jack against the crank pulley, and jacked the condenser. Condenser wound up crack free and completely straight. We had a laugh at our methods, but more that they worked.

Just had to tell about that. Will post back with pics of the madness whenever he get's 'em uploaded.

Ryan
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Nice man. I hope all the valves and everything are ok. If they are, that is a pretty good deal.

tuner4life
02-20-2009, 05:58 PM
It has the v6 right? If the t-belt broke, there is a 99.999999999999999999% chance that the valves are messed up.

Good luck.

MCcelica
02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
It is the V6. The belt didn't break. Just stripped at the crank pulley. That's why we're hoping the valves are ok. But we're pulling the heads off today to find out.

Murgatroy
02-20-2009, 11:02 PM
The motor is fucked.

They did a build like this on Xtreme 4x4 on Spike. Exact same dealio, the motor was fucked and it was cheaper to buy a crate longblock from what they researched, as it was a budget build.

The V6 is interference. If the timing belt stripped, that means it jumped time. If the rocker was smashed, that is proof enough of what you are going to find when you remove the heads.

MCcelica
02-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Although I frequently say that the perks of being a pessimist are that you're either right, or pleasantly surprised, we were actually quite pleasantly surprised on this one. Not a single mark on any of the pistons or valves, and the cylinder walls were perfect. Makes me wonder why that rocker got smashed up though. Not only that, but everything was surprisingly clean. For a 91 pathfinder with well over 200K on the ticker, there wasn't much buildup at all.

Ryan
02-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice man! That is always good to find!!!

Are you going to just replace that rocker or what?

MCcelica
02-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah. That and all the gaskets of course. But even the gaskets we had were good looking. Even the valve cover gaskets looked great. Should have it running by next weekend, or the weekend after.