PDA

View Full Version : Flex Pipe??

airman0404
02-20-2009, 02:20 AM
Now I'm begining to get mad at the Celica. I just did a bunch of work to her and now she pops a exhaust leak on me. I thought I spent enough money on her. I drove my truck today because Mother Nature decided to drop all ice on us last night, so when I got home this evening I was like I'll start the Celica up and see where the leak is. Since its cold, like 13 drgrees out, It was easy to find the leak. Steam coming out of the flex pipe.

So does anyone know where I can get a new flex pipe, from cat to resisnator flange, for the best price? Its my DD work car, so no custom exhaust systems. I found some on ebay, around $120-shipped. Its for a 90' GT

grayscale
02-20-2009, 02:29 AM
I paid like $35 shipped for mine from ebay but I reused my old flanges and put it in myself. Your best bet is just to take it to a muffler shop and let them get the part and do the work. $120 seems way too high to me.

airman0404
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Let me clarify what i was talking about. When I say $120-shipped for a flex pipe. I mean the whole pipe from the CAT to the flange after the resinator. I didn't even think of just replacing the flexible part. So is the flexible part removable from the rest of the pipe? Because if it is that, it will make me feel a whole lot better. If it does come off, how? Does it just pull apart from the other pipes, and the new one slip on? When it comes to working on exhaust, I haven't done it, done just about everything else.

acidice333
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
You gotta cut it off and weld the replacement on. I just had an exhaust shop do that to both of mine for $60 Canadian. Might have been more if I had to have them remove the pipe.

Wicked Toys
02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
When I had my GT, and my flex pipe started to leak. I also just went to a local muffler shop where they just cut and weldid on a new piece like said above. And only cost me $50. That's your best bet to me.

airman0404
02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Well, I was stuck in traffic yesterday after work, and the celica just got retardly loud :laugh: . I just began to laugh as I knew that the flex pipe had broken completely off at that time. I had people starring at me in traffic, rolling windows up, so i just turned the radio up louder. It now sounds like a really big chain saw when I drive. I can't make it to the muffler shop until monday. I just sit back, laugh, and jam out to Sirius.

taibones
02-23-2009, 01:23 AM
when mine went, i took my car to a local shop, they told me i would have to wait a couple of days for a new one to come, one of the guys that worked there said he had just finished a custom job and for 30 bucks he would cut the flew pipe of and weld the used one on so you could always ask if they have a used one laying around

airman0404
02-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, I went to 3 muffler shops today but intended to get the exhaust fixed at the first one.
1st shop - $110 flex pipe/labor
2nd shop - $70 flex pipe $60 labor
3rd shop - $65 flex pipe $62 labor

:wtf: I can buy the whole pipe from flange to flange on ebay for $120/shipped. The shops by me are ridiculously priced. Looks like I order the entire pipe on ebay, unless anyone else has any ideas. The rest of my stock exhaust is in great shape. What a bunch of crap.

grayscale
02-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah man, that's ridiculous. What kind of shops were they? Like Midas? Usually the best prices are found at little hole in the wall exhaust shops.

taibones
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
you could take a hack saw to a u pull it take the pipe off and cut the flex pipe off yourself you would want to leave 3 or 4 inches of pipe on each side then take your exhaust off from flange to flange and cut the same length of pipe off take whats good to a welding shop
from your name to me implies that you may be airforce or military if so see if you have and automotive skills center on post
or find a friend with a welder and see if he can do it

airman0404
02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
All the shops I went to were hole in the wall shops. The first one my I went to, Hammond Muffler, like half my family worked there before and I got great deals. Now it has a new owner and evidently his price went way up too. The other shops were just other redneck shops. I went to the few local junk yards and looked for celicas but I couldn't find anything a few weeks ago. I found a couple st's but thats it.
Taibone - I was in the Air Force, and I miss the Auto Skill shops. Being able to rent a lift for the day was great. I'm out now and have been for 2 years. I use the s/n Airman0404 for everything still. No imagination I guess, or lazy.

taibones
03-02-2009, 04:14 AM
just wondering if you have had any luck

airman0404
03-02-2009, 01:25 PM
just wondering if you have had any luck
I just ended up buying the entire pipe from the cat to the flange after the resinator. Stainless with the gaskets, and 5 year warranty for $117 shipped to my door. Then I got all new hardware from Toyota, for $12. If I would have went to a shop it would have cost me the same for just the flex. This probably wasn't the cheapest route but it was the most practical for me.

Rick89GTS
03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
^Nice solution and you can just bolt it up yourself.

Ryan
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Did it include the resonator as well?

airman0404
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I haven't gotten it yet, but it is suppose to be identical to stock. Flanges, flex, resinator, and gaskets included. I just had to get new bolts and nuts from toyota. After it all, I saved a couple bucks.