PDA

View Full Version : My Engine Is On Its Way(56k No no)

Tecker184
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Here are pictures of the engine with compression test. Its the gen 4 Caldina engine
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dhxpi8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/24eqand.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2qtv9lk.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/33p4toi.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/vpc9iv.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2lkpf0o.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7jxog.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2hq4jh3.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/sowhf4.jpg

pitcelica
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
wow, it seems in great shape! Good luck with your swap! Check your email BTW!

zen
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
nice... i remeber those days(memories...) hahah.. have fun with the swap. ill email you the diagrams i have.

grayscale
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice. Now for the standard battery of questions-
Who did you buy from?
What did it cost you?
What's included?

Tecker184
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
1. JDM Engine Depo
2. $1,638.00 USD
3. Includes
- ENGINE
- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
- TURBO
- FUEL SYSTEM
- INTAKE MANIFOLD
- TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER
- WIRING HARNESS
- ECU

grayscale
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
$1638 including shipping?

burnyd
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
oh great deal gl with it!

Tecker184
02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Thats shipping residential and lift gate!!!

zen
02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
wow.. you got a good price on it. the total of my engine package (same as above) was 1850 shipped to residential too..

Tecker184
02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Ya it was the last one he had and he said it was the best one of the litter

Luni
02-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Compression is way high.

220 PSI is ALOT for a turbocharged engine to pull on a compression test.

Hopefully its OK.

Idiot Stick
02-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Also, i thought the caldina 3sgte was the black sheep because of some weird manifolds and turbos and sensors?

GT4SOM
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah the turbo and the exhaust manifold is one piece.

Lagos
02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
Compression is way high.

220 PSI is ALOT for a turbocharged engine to pull on a compression test.

Hopefully its OK.

Its fine. Personally I'm worried that it has 5 cylinders. :bigthumbu

grayscale
02-20-2009, 02:51 AM
:laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh:
Good eye!

VikingJZ
02-20-2009, 06:51 AM

I have five cylinders!

:burn:

That's a slammin' deal you got on that engine man.

Tecker184
02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Ya i don't know why he sent me 2 pics of the same cylinder lol. Ya i looked around for a few weeks and this the cheapest i could find. They were real cool talked to him on the phone he said if i need anything just give him a call. I was just looking for a dead cylinder im not really savy on how much pressure there suppose to have. I chose this engine because its newer, i wanted the coil on plug, and not many ppl have done the swap. I plan on doing a write up on the whole swap with as much detail as i can. Im going to start on the wiring as soon as it gets here. I have 2 spare GT-S harness's that i bought off a member that im going to be using. Im waiting for spring before i even think of putting it in. So i have plenty of time to gather parts do the wiring etc. Thanks for the input and comments much appreciated.

balang_479
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
reason for AT?

Cavanagh
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Awesome! Do you have a E153 or are you going to run the Auto?

Lagos
02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
They only come in automatic awd.
You ditch the auto trans and bolt on your gt one.

Tecker184
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Im goin to use my stock tranny for now. I have a line on a e153 for $400 but its open diff. I would rather just wait use that $400 in a diff area. This car is going to be some what a daily driver so its not going to get beat too bad lol. My stock tranny should hold up until i find a tranny for a good price with LSD. Just got off the phone with the freight company will be delivered monday. The auto tranny a buddy of mine wants idk why. I was half tempted to tell them to keep it lol.

RedRkt01
02-20-2009, 09:35 PM
1. JDM Engine Depo
2. $1,638.00 USD
3. Includes
- ENGINE
- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
- TURBO
- FUEL SYSTEM
- INTAKE MANIFOLD
- TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER
- WIRING HARNESS
- ECU

I bought mine from them for around the same price. Maybe even a bit lower. Too bad my harness was cut all to hell. They also didn't include the dash harness which is needed. I think those guys are fucks and would never buy from them again.

Tecker184
02-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Hmm hopefully i dont get a hacked up harness if this thing is a turd they WILL be getting a phone call.

Tecker184
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
So i got the engine in today. Some what disappointed in what i received. Would rate the level of satisfaction a 6 out of 10. I did not receive the dash harness. All the wires that go to what im assuming is the fuse box are cut. The turbo has play that i can feel and see. The listing they give should be a little more detailed, its Bull as far as im concern. They will be receiving an email promptly after this post. Hmmm here are some pictures
http://i44.tinypic.com/ofbzeo.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/bj9xqw.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/10ymlhl.jpg

grayscale
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Too bad my harness was cut all to hell. They also didn't include the dash harness which is needed.
Out of curiosity, how did you solve these two problems?

grayscale
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Update? What condition was everything in?

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Unsolved at this juncture. I have totally shelved that project. Tweak insists I need that dash harness so I dunno what I'm gonna do when I get around to doing that swap.

grayscale
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Ooo, hm, I'm assuming he needs the dash harness cause he hasn't one of those before and doesn't have all the necessary info to make what is needed.

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Ooo, hm, I'm assuming he needs the dash harness cause he hasn't one of those before and doesn't have all the necessary info to make what is needed.

Quite the opposite, actually. He has done at least three that I can think of and knows that he needs it to make it all work. The dash harness talks to the ECU and gives it information on things that I can't remember right now. I know that starting in the mid 90's ECUs started altering engine operations based on such minute details as whether the A/C was on. That's why so many swappers end up with no A/C; They don't take into account the rewiring of the system. So that is just one thing, though I'm not sure if the ST215 dash harness is connected to the A/C or not......that's just a simple example.

grayscale
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow, well, keep me posted on how it eventually goes. I'm looking at the ST215 myself. I might just spring for the extra and try to get a front clip if it's that much trouble.

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Wow, well, keep me posted on how it eventually goes. I'm looking at the ST215 myself. I might just spring for the extra and try to get a front clip if it's that much trouble.

Def a good idea.......acquiring sensors and the like isn't that hard if you have an EPC; But the wiring issue is a bitch. It almost makes me want to list it for sale and start my process over.....and I might just do that.

I think you should go for it. There's a lot of guys who are scared and will give you excuses as to why you shouldn't do it, but there's more and more people doing it....so that indicates it can be done. Tweak thoroughly endorses the swap based on statements he's made before. I'll keep you in the loop with what I do.

;)

grayscale
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah definitely let me know if you decide to sell yours. Any ideas where to begin looking for that clip? A lot of the places I'm familiar with are starting to close their doors or have stopped importing such things.

T-spoon
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I think there are 2 pictures of cylinder 4 because it's noticeably lower than 1 and two pictures indicate they tried it again just to be sure. It's around 211 PSI and the first is around 220ish. Who knows if the cranked it the same number of times for the first three as the last though.. you can never be sure when someone else does the test.

Actually looking at them again, it looks like 225, 220, 215, 211. Bigger spread than I'd like but again, who knows if they did it right. :shrug:

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah definitely let me know if you decide to sell yours. Any ideas where to begin looking for that clip? A lot of the places I'm familiar with are starting to close their doors or have stopped importing such things.

I don't really know.....I've kinda fallen out of the loop with that stuff since I have what I need at the moment. Talk to KJ...I think he knows somebody that imports motors. And you're right. Engines are getting hard to find these days bc the EPA has gone nuts over this stuff. Expect it to get worse with the libs running the country.

grayscale
03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Have you tried any Caldina forums to see if any of them could get you the harness? Like www.caldinaclub.com (I think it's mostly Malaysian but it's in english)

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Have you tried any Caldina forums to see if any of them could get you the harness? Like www.caldinaclub.com (I think it's mostly Malaysian but it's in english)

Score! No, I have not. That's a great find!

Tecker184
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
i have tried all those clubs looking for parts like the dash harness and some kind of wiring book nothing. I talked to tweak about doing my harness and he said it was no problem. Quoted me $650 for everything including the tach adapter installed. I have decided to go that route. I have a spare harness for my car that i will be sending out to have it done. Dont sell talk to tweak he can hook you up.

RedRkt01
03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Tweak and I have worked together before so I know he's good for it.

grayscale
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
i have tried all those clubs looking for parts like the dash harness and some kind of wiring book nothing. I talked to tweak about doing my harness and he said it was no problem. Quoted me $650 for everything including the tach adapter installed. I have decided to go that route. I have a spare harness for my car that i will be sending out to have it done. Dont sell talk to tweak he can hook you up.
So did the dash harness come in with yours? What condition was the engine harness in?

Tecker184
03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I was thinking of buying another engine set after i get all the parts i need to swap it out just to have all the extra sensors and another harness. I have searched every caldina forum for anything useful. Its seems there all looking for service manuals. There was a website i got off there that translates the factory service manual but i emailed them, requested a copy, all to no avail.

Tecker184
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
no the dash harness was MIA and i asked them why the harness was cut and they were like "um da...it comes like dat from ahh japan ummm daa we like never get dem wit da fuse box." What a bunch of morons there i tell ya. It was a simple as unplugging the harness from the fuse box not taking a set of bolt cutters to it.

Tecker184
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
here is the website that offers to translate the service manual i emailed them agian maybe someone can get ahold of them. I will buy the manual if someone will get back to me about it. Then we can put it up in the bgb section.

http://www.jpnz.co.nz/afawcs0131171/CATID=26/SUBID=291/ID=484/SID=63076686/productdetails.html

zen
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
we did have a dispute on mr2oc.com about the interior harness. it seems like the 99 toyota solara should have the same interior plugs to the ecu too. i have not yet found a solara ecu with plugs. look at this apexi neo diagram:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/19.pdf
scroll down to the ecu pinouts for pin locations. the ST215 has the T9-a setup. Look for other cars that has the T9 ecu pinout and those cars should use the same plugs.

grayscale
03-04-2009, 01:07 AM
According to that diagram, the 7gC, 97-993sge MR2, 99^MRS, 00-05 RAV4, and 00-02 1zzfe Corolla all use the T9-plug too?

RedRkt01
03-04-2009, 01:27 AM
no the dash harness was MIA and i asked them why the harness was cut and they were like "um da...it comes like dat from ahh japan ummm daa we like never get dem wit da fuse box." What a bunch of morons there i tell ya. It was a simple as unplugging the harness from the fuse box not taking a set of bolt cutters to it.

See what I'm saying about those fuckers? Who'd you talk to? Will?

RedRkt01
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
According to that diagram, the 7gC, 97-993sge MR2, 99^MRS, 00-05 RAV4, and 00-02 1zzfe Corolla all use the T9-plug too?

I can vouch for my '95 3SGE....which has a different ECU that the 97-99 3SGE, but has the same plug arrangement.

But I don't think that is right. As I recall, my ECU had five plugs and only four of which came from the engine bay.

grayscale
03-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Table also shows the RAV4 and Corolla have the ecu in the same location as the Caldina.

grayscale
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance, but doesn't the Caldina look ridiculously similar to the Matrix?

RedRkt01
03-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance, but doesn't the Caldina look ridiculously similar to the Matrix?

Well sort of. The Caldina is a little bit bigger and built tougher. It is a T chassis just like our Celicas while the Matrix is not........that's why you don't see a shitton of kids swapping GTEs into Matrixs; Though I'm sure it's been done at this point.

Tecker184
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
See what I'm saying about those fuckers? Who'd you talk to? Will?
Ya i spoke to Will he said dude ALOT and was just getting on my nerves so i just hung up on him. Bout worthless customer service and i would never go to them again for anything. The engine it self was in excellent condition just the harness was a mess. Idk Tweak is taking care of my harness i will be sending it out as soon as i get my spare harness in the mail that i bought off member. I will tell you guys how it went.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but doesn't the Caldina look ridiculously similar to the Matrix? I was thinking the same thing about the matrix and the Caldina being very similar.

RedRkt01
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Ya i spoke to Will You're a lot closer to NJ than I am. Do me a favor and get over there for a classic company bitch slap. Make sure you use baby powder on your hands.

Tecker184
03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
To think i was going to pick it up but i figured it would be cheaper just to have it shipped. If i would have went down there to pick it up i would have told them to keep it.

RedRkt01
03-04-2009, 11:34 PM
One way or another Tweak was gonna have to do this for you; Eaten up harness or not. So don't be too pissed. That's kinda how I see it. sounds like you and I are in exactly the same boat.

On the other hand all that I would've asked is that I know what I'm getting in return.

Tecker184
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Im not exactly pissed about the harness being cut because that can always be fixed. Im pissed off because i was told i was getting some thing that i was not. If he had said that it was cut it wouldn't have been a big deal. But it was cut and he did nothing for me, didn't offer any kind of fix for me.

RedRkt01
03-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Im not exactly pissed about the harness being cut because that can always be fixed. Im pissed off because i was told i was getting some thing that i was not. If he had said that it was cut it wouldn't have been a big deal. But it was cut and he did nothing for me, didn't offer any kind of fix for me.

Well........it could've been worse......he could've told you he'd steal it off the next harness that comes in and that he'd send it free of charge only to ignore your phone calls.......that could've happened to you. Be glad it didn't. I take the same stance as you on these things; It's the principle of the matter that counts.

RedRkt01
05-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Hey Tecker......where are you on this?

Tecker184
05-08-2009, 06:28 AM
waiting on funds had some issues come up that were outta my control. Had to move and what not deposits, security. I have a small loan out that i owe $1500 on it should be paid off in july. Then im gonna go again to the bank and get another loan. Then i can get it started again. Sucks, but i did pick up a 85 toyota pick-up so i have something to drive until its done. When i take the loan out and start the project i will start a thread in the projects section keep everyone updated.

RedRkt01
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Keep us (me) in the know, bro. Hope all works out for you.