PDA

View Full Version : Toybaru update: direct injection, codenamed 086A.

Ghosty
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Over the past few months, rumors have circulated that the joint venture between Toyota and Subaru to develop an affordable, front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe has been delayed. ToMoCo president, Akio Toyoda, sought to address those concerns at last month's Tokyo Auto Salon, and according to Toyota's new overlord, development is still underway.

Toyoda told the assembled masses that the new FR sports car is an essential part of the automaker's "rejuvenation" efforts to bring younger people into the fold, and a large part of that is price. The coupe is still expected to cost around 2,000,000 yen (a little over $21,000 US) and is set to go on sale in 2012. According to Toyoda, the production postponement has nothing to do with the delay in construction of the Toyota/Subaru factory, where the two-door was due to be built next year. Instead, Toyoda claims that the hold up is due to the adaption of Toyota's new D-4S direct injection system for the flat-four engine. Currently, the FR sports car is codenamed "086A," and for those of you schooled in the world of Hachirokus, that spells good things to come.

The Autoblog Article (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/toyota-subaru-fr-sports-car-code-named-086a-will-include-direct/)

Most recent rendering:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/02/086a_toyota_subaru_580op.jpg

Interesting, no?

Shadowlife25
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I like the design. :)

I think that whoever writes Autoblog is an idiot for not even being able to spell.

It's TOYOTA not ToYODA.

Ghosty
02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
He was actually referring to the Toyota president, whose last name is "Toyoda."

The brand's name was made slightly different from the family name for a reason... which I do not know.

Murgatroy
02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Toyoda is the name of the guy that was doing the speaking regarding the automobile.

In actuality the Toyoda family founded Toyota, they changed the spelling of their name to be Toyota because it is considered a luckier spelling.

BTW, reading comprehension pwns you.

cms-gt4
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I think that looks find except for the rear fenders. The remind me of the oldschool fender flares that people rivet on. I prefer nice blistered flares. So you can either pay 21k for a rwd suby or you can pay 23k for a stripped track version genesis coupe with a turbo and brembos that might as well be a rwd evo due to the engine.

Kind of interesting to see how the two awd competitors might be going head to head in the rwd market under different badges.

RedRkt01
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I like the design. :)

I think that whoever writes Autoblog is an idiot for not even being able to spell.

It's TOYOTA not ToYODA.

Convensional wisdom would support your statement, but the family name behind the textile company turned auto maker is Toyoda. ;)

EDIT: wow.....everyone pwns Mario.

Ghosty
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I was just thinking that -- this probably is taking a direct stab at the market for the Genesis coupe. Which, BTW, is going to be all over the new season of the TV series "24" for obvious marketing purposes.

I think the car is very reactionary. Toyota was slow to comprehend the market, and only when they saw that the Genesis Coupe could possibly make a big splash in the automotive world did they decide to jump in. Shows a big lack of foresight for the automaker and puts into question the amount of research put into this effort.

Speaking of which, doesn't this platform have some sort of horrendous suspension issue due to the Subaru Legacy platform on which it is based?

MarcusM2007
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Toyota is 7 strokes to write in Katakana, which of course is a lucky number. Looks like things worked out pretty well for them.

I'm surprised I remember that, the first week at Toyota is training and its all about their history. I wish the 086A was being designed here.

Shadowlife25
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
You can all blow. :cool:

I didn't get pwned dammit. They usually refer to corporations as 1st person, so it was an honest mistake. :p

P.S.

I did get pwned.:laugh:

cms-gt4
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
You can all blow. :cool:

Goddamn, I said goddamn!
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1994_snorting_cocaine.gif

RedRkt01
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Goddamn, I said goddamn!

Foghorn Leghorn?

grayscale
02-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Boo, looks too much like a tC that's been kicked in the teeth.

Shadowlife25
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Goddamn, I said goddamn!

THAT was SWEET!!! :D

93cc
02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Boo, looks too much like a tC that's been kicked in the teeth.

yeah I agree... I don't like it...

90CelicaST
02-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Have they confirmed whether or not we are getting the Toyota version?

geebes
02-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Goddamn, I said goddamn!

Haha...pulp fiction! Yay! I'm glad someone else likes that line in the movie too.

Ghosty
02-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Have they confirmed whether or not we are getting the Toyota version?

Judging by the fact that America typically gets the bottom of the barrel in terms of selection, I'll go with a no on that one.

And I do remember reading something about this being Japan only, so my hunch isn't unfounded.

90CelicaST
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah I haven't read anything saying the Toyota version would actually make it over here, just the Suby one.

extremeskillz
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
I like it but remember that is a concept drawing. It will change. I'm looking forward to this!

cms-gt4
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Just to confirm, toyota stated that the toyota model will be japan only and the Suby will be global. Not long after there was mention that this could be the next tc. So it is possible this could fall under the scion name in the us as well considering our scions were toyotas in japan.

Cavanagh
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Ugh, no more Scions! Toyota NEEDS it's own badged sports car! and NOW!

Lemuel
02-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Looks like a Hyundai Tiburon IMO.

GT4SOM
02-20-2009, 01:49 AM
I like it as long as its a rwd car. I've been thinking about selling one of the celicas and getting a mr2 or old celica/corolla/ supra. If this is definately going to come out then it will probably be worth the wait. I wouldn't have to worry about replacing parts for a while or sourcing out parts.

wizzards581
02-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Looks like a Hyundai Tiburon IMO.

its like the new redesign honda insight that looks like the toyota prius.

usp45
02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't think I like it. but I'll decide when they unveil the final poduction model. I just wish we could get some new mr2s, supras, and rally inspired celicas... surely, that would be the day.

andy
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
on the toyoda thing. if you have a metal power steering pump cap look at the name on that joker. to******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pwn. thats the 80s power steering pumps ppl.