PDA

View Full Version : Radiator caps.

Ryan
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
So what would be the gains of having a higher pressure radiator cap?

Also, do most toyotas share radiator caps? Like do the sw20 and celicas have the same radiator caps?

celica9303
02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Raises boiling point of the coolant. I have the TRD one

Ryan
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you like it? Did you see any improvement over stock at all?

grayscale
02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
It uses an increased pressure to raise the boiling point of the coolant thereby allowing the cooling system to cool just a little better. How much is debatable. Performance wise? Not noticeable at all unless you're running boost and your trying to keep your temps lower than normal. Also know that this increases the pressure and thus the strain on your system such as gaskets, which can sometimes lead to a failure somewhere depending on the condition of your system. This is the mechanical way of doing. You can also do it chemically by using products such as Redline Water Wetter.

Ryan
02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Ic, sweet. Thanks guys!

joe's gt
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Dude, if all your hoses aren't clamped down with hose clamps and gaskets are old, I would not do it. Sure it raises the boiling point ( which is pretty much pointless on your 5s ) but it does that by increasing pressure which causes extra stress on parts that you do not want to have to change. Not to mention the hoses that could develop leaks from that extra pressure.

Basically, what Cannon said.

Ads28
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
yeaaa i 3rd that...stick with a stock one...i had a TRD one on mine for a while and it cracked my rad haha :lolhittin ... :wiggle: It was the original rad soo im sure it would have gone with or without the change to the TRD rad cap :wiggle: :)

celica9303
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I love mine. Did it help? Probably it seems to run cooler. But like grayscale said its not very noticible if I had a true water temp gauge and could visually see it better than the stupid stock gauge I could tell you by how much but I don't. I say do it every little bit helps.

Ryan
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys..

grayscale
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I love mine. Did it help? Probably it seems to run cooler. But like grayscale said its not very noticible if I had a true water temp gauge and could visually see it better than the stupid stock gauge I could tell you by how much but I don't. I say do it every little bit helps.
If you can tell me how many pounds the stock and TRD caps are rated at I can tell you apporx how much yours temps have gone down.

Ryan
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
It says .9 on the side, but I think that is referring to .9 bar.. I dont know the conversion for that is though.

celica9303
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM
stock cap is 0.9kg and TRD cap is 1.3kg

grayscale
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Alright, so a stock cap is good for 14.7psi and the TRD is 18.5psi. Every pound you raise the system pressure raises the boiling point 3 degrees, so you have raised the boiling point of your system by 12.6 degrees.

celica9303
02-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Is that good?

Ryan
02-20-2009, 01:24 AM
I have a Toms 1.3kg cap on the way.. I figured it is worth a shot..

grayscale
02-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Is that good?
Basically it means that it will take that much more to overheat your car. When your coolant boils, that's when your car overheats. By raising the boiling point you allow the coolant to absorb that much more heat. Your car will not run any cooler than it already did, it'll just harder to overheat.
Consequently, if you use a chemical product to raise your boiling point, it will also lower the freezing point.

What this means performance wise goes something like this: the air compressor under your hood uses gas to create energy. The energy is released in two ways-one power your wheels, the rest is released in the form of heat. We know that the majority of the energy is converted into heat, of which a smaller part goes out your tail pipe, but the majority is absorbed by your engine, which is where coolant comes into play to carry that heat away. The more high performance the vehicle, the more heat is generated, thus the need for coolant systems (and parts of it) that can handle more and more heat absorption.

celica9303
02-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow good explaintion. Do you know if the samco hoses for the 185 will work on our 5s? I would assume so.

Tom's makes good stuff Ryan. You won't be disappointed

Ryan
02-20-2009, 02:06 AM
So in all reality, it could be worth it if you plan on doing racing of any kind.. plus, they dont cost very much. And if you get a cap and a bottle of watter wetter, it would be worth the money if you plan on racing.

grayscale
02-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Do you know if the samco hoses for the 185 will work on our 5s?
Never been that intimate with a 3sgte but I should be able to find out easily.

grayscale
02-20-2009, 02:20 AM
So in all reality, it could be worth it if you plan on doing racing of any kind.. plus, they dont cost very much. And if you get a cap and a bottle of watter wetter, it would be worth the money if you plan on racing.
If you like. Of course spending money on other racing items first would seem more logical. :bigthumbu

grayscale
02-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Looking at some radiators and 3sgte engines real quick, I would say you could use them. The oulets/inlets on the engines appear to be right in the same area and the radiators are almost identical, for 5th gens that is.

Ryan
02-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Well, for the prices you cant really complain.. I mean, the caps arent much, and watter wetter is cheap.

I think it would be awesome to have samco hoses, but those things are so expensive..

VikingJZ
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Water wetter is cheap and effective stuff. I have it in my SC. I noticed a slight drop in operating temperature on my temp gauge in the car.

I plan on getting a TRD cap for the SC.

Trance4c
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Water Wetter is great, and should be used!

There really isn't much need for a high PSI cap.

As for the Samco hoses, those will not work. While the inlet and outlets are in the same spot on the radiator, they do not line up with the engine. Specifically the inlet on the top, the 3S-GTE pipe is split into two sections as there is a coolant feed to the turbo.

Best bet, go to Toyota and get some nice new stockers. No need to spend on Samco stuff, the black stock stuff is cheaper and very nice.

VikingJZ
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
See, I should have added Water Wetter to my Volvo before dumping the coolant in.

Its a weird set-up in that car. There is no standard radiator cap. It's the overflow tank with a hose that runs to the radiator.

I'm actually going to flush the system and put Toyota Red coolant in it with Water Wetter.

There's guys on our Volvo Forum that now run Red.

T-spoon
02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Heh, we kind of went over this in another thread, but second "opinions" are good I guess. :hehe:

BTW, as Cannon says, it raises the boiling point, but it does not lower the temperature of the coolant. Using pressure is a way to control the process of boiling, to keep the coolant in the vehicle so that it can continue to circulate and move heat from the motor to the heat exchanger. But again, it doesn't lower the temperatures. This is a way to keep operating the motor at higher temperatures, but it's kind of a band-aid. It's used in racing applications as a way to keep racing when conditions are too harsh for a stock system. So remember, not only is it applying greater pressure to the system, the hoses, etc. but if you actually get to the point where the increased pressure is keeping the coolant from boiling when it would have normally, you're submitting the rest of the engine to higher than normal temperatures.

This means, if you're getting any benefit at all out of it, you're running your car too hard for the intended purpose to begin with because under normal circumstances your coolant is not going to get above the temperature the stock system pressure handles. If you're on a racetrack, that's fine, you know that's a risk, but for a daily driven car this is just a bad idea IMO.

Again, NO reason at all to use a higher pressure cap on a mostly stock car for daily driving purposes unless you daily drive across the Sahara. At best a waste of money.

grayscale
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
.Its a weird set-up in that car. There is no standard radiator cap. It's the overflow tank with a hose that runs to the radiator.
The cap on the coolant overflow tank takes the place of the radiator cap. They are typically rated at 15psi.