PDA

View Full Version : Body Work!!! New Quarter Panels???

Tecker184
02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I just got back from a well known body shop in my area noted for doing great work. I went to see about getting my wheel wells fixed the price around $400 a side. He told me that it would be a waste of money seeing how it would more than likely come back and that i should source a rust free quarter panel and have it replaced all together. Then come next fall i could bring it in and i would get the best deal. That would include a complete paint job and i could pay on the work monthly providing i have the quarters and the paint. That would be doing it the right way. I was wondering if any of you guys had this work done if so were did you source your quarter panels from? I found them on first Toyota for $1,300 for both sides. I will buy them if i have to but i would prefer to get them used. Also what paint should i use im gonna go black not sure if i want anything fancy but i do want a good quality paint. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated thanks

Tecker184
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
no one?

19celica90
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
the problem your going to run into with finding used quarter panels is that on most 5th gen celicas, they will have the same rust inside the wheel well and along the rocker panel. I understand that you want to be cost effective, but the only way to guarantee that there will be no rust is to buy new from Toyota. You could sandblast the areas that have rust on yours, as long as its just surface rust, and do a acid wash on the areas. The acid will remove any of the rust that the soda/sand didn't get. Make sure you really clean it and apply a self etching primer to get the most surface area out of the metal. It really depends on how bad your rust is...if you have a rust through, you could make a metal patch to fit the contour of the wheel well. But, with the paint, I have always used PPG. In my opinion it is the best, and most user friendly. I've used Du-pont, Omni, and shop-link too, and they're good, but PPG seems to be cheaper and easier to use, generally. Let me know if theres anything else I can help you with, some pics would help me give you better advice too. If your wondering who I am, my name is Jeremy, and I'm a certified Collision Repair Tech :)

Tecker184
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
More than likely i will just buy new ones i dont want to have an issue with it bubbling back through the paint. My problem has graduated from surface rust thanks to the previous owner. I was wondering what brand to get for paint anyone get anything with metallic in it? I dont really even know were to start as far as were to start shopping or anything. Any one have some pics of there cars with non oem paint some thing that isnt just plain black? Thanks Jeremy for the advice.

KoreanJoey
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Get some panels off a west coast celica.

Tecker184
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Ya i have searched to web to try and source some no luck tried the find parts websites nothing but i have all summer to find some

Galcobar
02-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Try car-part.com, it's a national chain of junkyards. That and keep in mind they won't be listed as separate pieces really, since they're part of the roof structure. Easiest to look for a yard with a few Celicas by finding one listing associated parts (e.g. hatch) and calling them to find out what it would cost, as well as the condition of the pieces.

VikingJZ
02-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Our favorite local yard in my area will cut those panels off for $100 each.

Post pics, and that will help.

If need be, if you could PayPal me, I would be willing to go have them cut off if there are good ones. You could pay for the parts up front and then we could work out shipping later.

Trust me, I know how bad quarter panels on theses things can be. I had a 90 coupe that got smashed on the driver side, and I just never had the effort, time, or money to properly fix it.

Let me know what you think!

But please, do post pics so we can all give better advice.

mr2trd3
02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
To be completely honest, I think you really have to think about how much your car is worth. Maybe you are attached to your 5th gen and will do anything regardless of cost. If so, look for a southern parts car.

I, OTOH, don't find it reasonable to spend anywhere from $800-2,000 for bodywork on my sub-$2000 daily driver. That money can be put towards a better and, possibly, newer car (ie. a 7th Gen GT-S).

Shadowlife25
02-13-2009, 04:16 PM
It would be bodywork + paint. That is VERY reasonable.

You guys really have no clue what things cost here on the west coast. Especially California.

As for it being a sub-$2k DD, that's bull. Pain and simple. You find me a 5th gen (non gts even) here in Cali for less than $2k and I'll show you a shitbox. A well maintained and running 17 y/o car that is mostly problem free is a rarity. Not everyone can afford to go out and finance a new or even new to them car these days. Add to this the fact that he said he would be able to source the parts and paint himself and make payments on the labor, it's a good deal. Do you know of any shop that would do that for you? I know I sure don't.

I realize that the discussion topic had nothing to do with location, but I hope that this puts some things into perspective for you.

mr2trd3
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
It would be bodywork + paint. That is VERY reasonable.

You guys really have no clue what things cost here on the west coast. Especially California.

As for it being a sub-$2k DD, that's bull. Pain and simple. You find me a 5th gen (non gts even) here in Cali for less than $2k and I'll show you a shitbox. A well maintained and running 17 y/o car that is mostly problem free is a rarity. Not everyone can afford to go out and finance a new or even new to them car these days. Add to this the fact that he said he would be able to source the parts and paint himself and make payments on the labor, it's a good deal. Do you know of any shop that would do that for you? I know I sure don't.

I realize that the discussion topic had nothing to do with location, but I hope that this puts some things into perspective for you.

Thanks for your opinion, but what does California have to do with my opinion? :eekwtf: FYI, there is a world outside of California (which, you are correct, is a broke ass state right now), and the OP and I just so happens to live in that world.

My opinion was simply....think about if it's really worth fixing up a couple of rust spots on an old and, generally, undesireable car for a lot of money. In MY opinion, I would save that money towards something newer and better. However, the decision obviously belongs to the OP.

Also, FYI, I bought my GT-S for $1600. Definitely not prestine, but not a shitbox, also.

Shadowlife25
02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
You quoted me, so you should maybe READ the whole thing.

You have a bad attitude and I'm really sick of you trolling on here and saying that these cars are undesirable and not worth the time/money/effort/ whatever other bs you feel like saying.

Please learn to stop reading so much into simple statement and explanation. There was nothing personal there.

Which brings me to another point. Did I not warn you months ago that being so blatantly rude would result in your not being welcome? Please be civil. If you can not, feel free to stay on MR2OC.

Thanks

VikingJZ
02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I was able to get my Volvo for an undisclosed price.

Not a shitbox at all. Needed new rear shocks and some other minor things, but I am well under KBB price if I were to sell it.

We can find fifth gens around here for under two grand needing only minimal work.

Shadowlife25
02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I completely understand that Aaron, my point was that for the work involved, the proposed price outlook wasn't bad at all. Savvy?

VikingJZ
02-13-2009, 05:23 PM
No the price is good.

I guess I didn't put that in there huh? lol

I would have done that in a second if a body shop would have taken payments

They must like you!

Tecker184
02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I paid $800 for the car...........there isnt a single new car that i care for. I like the older stuff i dont need to deal with emissions i can modify anything i want and parts a really avalible. I live in NY state its not very long b4 the car begins to start rusting. I have no desire or have ever thought about buying anything newer than a 95. I like my 5th gen celica i like the way it drives, the way everything is layed out and it fits me perfectly wouldnt have it any other way. After paint the motor swap and new brakes and tires i STILL would be paying less than a brand new car i would be surprised i pay 10k all together with brand new paint the way I want it and 200-300 whp depending on how much im willing to spend. Not to mention show me a "project car" that you dont spend a ridiculous amount of money on. Pics will be posted as soon as i get my lazy self into the shower.....i hate working nights lol

mr2trd3
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
My apologies. I was simply giving my sincerest opinion. If stating my opinions (which I made very clear that was simply my opinion) makes me a troll, so be it. Fact to support my opinion are as follows:

You have a bad attitude and I'm really sick of you trolling on here and saying that these cars are undesirable and not worth the time/money/effort/ whatever other bs you feel like saying.

Worth nearly $1000 for body work to fix some small rust? An Alltrac, yes. An ST/GT/GT-S, no. These are a dime a dozen. Just take a quick look on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc.

I wouldn't spend $1000 to fix rust on a non-AT 5th Gen especially if I live in the northern part of the country where it snows for 3-4 months of the year AND if my Celica was my daily driver. The fix is pointless because it will rust again after another couple of years (maybe sooner if the restoration wasn't perfect), maybe not at the same spots but on other areas of the car.

Which brings me to another point. Did I not warn you months ago that being so blatantly rude would result in your not being welcome? Please be civil. If you can not, feel free to stay on MR2OC.

Again, my apologies. I should not have used the term "undesirable". To me, that meant that these cars are not rare or expensive. Apparently, my definition is incorrect and has offended some of you. I'm sorry.

And for the record, if it will cost me roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of the value of my MR2 to fix some rust issues, I wouldn't do it. MR2's, although much rarer than the typical non-AT 5th Gen Celica, are not expensive. I'd rather save up for another one (if I really wanted another MR2) or buy something newer and/or better. I just wanted to get it straight that I am not partial to MR2's and hate on Celica's. That's just how I weigh the cost and the benefits.

Tecker184
02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
heres the pics only rust on the whole care i might i add!!!!

http://i41.tinypic.com/1q1lso.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2rejt6v.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ef7qiq.jpg

mr2trd3
02-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I paid $800 for the car...........there isnt a single new car that i care for. I like the older stuff i dont need to deal with emissions i cant modify anything i want and parts a really avalible. I live in NY state its not very long b4 the car begins to start rusting. I have no desire or have ever thought about buying anything newer than a 95. I like my 5th gen celica i like the way it drives, the way everything is layed out and it fits me perfectly wouldnt have it any other way. After paint the motor swap and new brakes and tires i STILL would be paying less than a brand new car i would be surprised i pay 10k all together with brand new paint the way I want it and 200-300 whp depending on how much im willing to spend. Not to mention show me a "project car" that you dont spend a ridiculous amount of money on. Pics will be posted as soon as i get my lazy self into the shower.....i hate working nights lol

I'm glad you love your 5th Gen and it sounds like you have some good plans in the works. Your car looks very sharp. What a difference a nice set of wheels can make.

Tecker184
02-13-2009, 05:56 PM
i would have bought a alltrac but up here IF you find they want 5-8k if i find one for less it isnt drivable or isnt worth saving idk i will have an alltrac some day but it wont see a winter and at this point in time i dont have a way to store one.

Shadowlife25
02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
From a cost/benefit standpoint, I agree.

To the vehicles worth, KBB is fairly useless. It's all regional. If you fellas can find vehicles so cheaply, I applaud you. Where I live, however, a beat to hell ST goes for $1800 and has a decent list of needs. If it's running, they get every penny of it too.
The tough financial times have inflated the cost of vehicles with perceived good fuel mileage.

As to the rust issue, I lived in NY for some time and I know how bad it is.
By looking at the pictures, it seems that the salt really did a number on those fenderwells. You should be able to get them from any west coast yard for much less than $1k.

Use google and see about a number for TAP (Toyota Auto Parts recyclers) in Rancho Cordova. There are many other recyclers in that area that have plenty of 5th gens as well. It can't hurt to try.

Have you tried electrolysis to remove the rust? It works well.

mr2trd3
02-13-2009, 06:10 PM
i would have bought a alltrac but up here IF you find they want 5-8k if i find one for less it isnt drivable or isnt worth saving idk i will have an alltrac some day but it wont see a winter and at this point in time i dont have a way to store one.

Sad, but very true. People still want $5000+ for AT's that are completely rusted, poorly maintained, and barely running. A rare car, yes, but too much to spend on a shell/parts car.

I, too, would like to own an AT one day, but when I do, it won't be a daily driver. My GF's sister's BF's brother owns one, but he's been in prison for years. The car has been sitting in their driveway and slowly rusting. I've been bugging my GF's sister to ask them if they want to sell.

Tecker184
02-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Nope never tried my last 5th gen was just starting to rust on the wheel well and i sandblasted it primed and painted it and one winter it was cumming back through the paint. Thats why i went and spoke the the body shop i mean i would get it fixed for the $400 a side its not a bad price but i dont plan on keeping the car red. I bought a AT style front bumper and im currently working on a AT hood so just having it fixed the other pieces poorly match to my faded paint i would rather just have the whole car done. The guy was very cool about what i wanted done and how every thing i asked him he was cool with. He said get the paint and the parts and give us how long you want it to take. After the body work is done and all of the prep im goin to have POR15 spayed on to prevent this from happening again. Then when i get it back everything under the car is also getting coated with POR15.

Shadowlife25
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
POR15 is the hands down BEST rust preventative/protectant around. Good choice.

Tecker184
02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
im not too worried about getting the quater pannels right away just want to see whats out there if anyone has replaced them and were they got them i have all summer to find me a set so no big rush im ordering my 3sgte prolly wednesday :burn: so that is my current priority thanks for the advice everyone its getting done no matter the cost :)