PDA

View Full Version : exhaust for intake cam

MaroonST
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Is it possible to take an extra exhaust side cam and cut the end off to use it on the intake side like alot of the BP mazda guys do?

reason I ask is kuz one of my freinds was telling me about how he just did this for his engine he is building with ITB's

RedRkt01
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't know if it is possible. I don't think it is something I'd try.

Hiko
02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
On the 3sfe and 5sfe heads, the exhaust is a slave cam to the intake, and so is not as long. It would have to be lengthened and have the distributor point put in. And while the cam specs seem to vary a lot for these engines throughout the years, the exhaust cam is (so far as I have seen) always less aggressive than the intake.

On a g series head they might be physically interchangeable minus the distributor point, but again, the exhaust is probably less aggressive than the intake anyway.

Grot
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
on a first gen 3SGE they are completely interchangable, both are even cut for the dizzy. if will destroy the cam journals though. this happened to me on a rebuilt head.

Hiko
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
on a first gen 3SGE they are completely interchangable, both are even cut for the dizzy. if will destroy the cam journals though. this happened to me on a rebuilt head.

Wow, I didn't think that they'd take the time to cut it for the distributor. What exactly about the exhaust cam destroys the journals? Too big of a diameter?

Grot
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
the clearences are different and the journals dont get oil and it scars them up.

MaroonST
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
ok so bad idea, I guess it works on BP mazdas tho

joe's gt
02-12-2009, 02:57 AM
Yep just did my head and found out all about cam caps having to be line bored onto new heads and such to make the clearances right for the journals. Won't work because clearances aren't right as Grot said. A machine shop might be able to make it work tho but it would involve a lot of extra work and money.