PDA

View Full Version : Finally! New Suspension

airman0404
02-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Ok, after almost 2 months of having all the parts, I got out in the garage and worked on the Celica. Here are the following parts that I replaced:
-All 4 struts with KYB GR-2's
-All 4 springs with new Stock Toyota Springs
-Front strut mounts with Monroe mounts
-Rear strut mounts with KYB mounts
-All new upper and lower insulators
-New KYB strut boots
-Rear sway bar links with Twos R Us rear links
-Lifetime Wheel alignment from Firestone

This consumed about 7 hours of my day. The one tool I say you should definately have when doing this is a Die Grinder, or cut-off wheel of some sort. The whole install was pretty easy, only one strut gave me problems. I had to cut it all up to get it out. I only had one casulty, a 14mm socket cracked on 2 sides.(good thing its a craftsman). Everything that I took out was completely shot. It was all original with 125k miles.

I just have to thank everyone that has done previous write-ups on this, it was a extreme help on setting me in the right direction for parts, and hints on making this easier. Heres a few pictures of the left overs
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww132/airman0404/Celica%20parts/IMG_1217.jpg
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww132/airman0404/Celica%20parts/IMG_1214.jpg

joe's gt
02-11-2009, 02:46 AM
I have to do my suspension this summer. Could you give some more info on how you got the cartridge out and how difficult it was? It would be much appreciated.

Sean
02-11-2009, 02:48 AM
How much were new factory springs?

Isn't new suspension fun :)

Simonhla
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Nice work. I did mine too a couple of months ago. I replaced the insulators (an often over looked part but they make a HUGE difference), all 4 springs, all 4 struts, all 4 mounts and the strut boots. I used the KYB mounts, KYB struts and eibach proline springs which give the 1" drop. All I will say is that it is an unbelievable difference compared to the 150K parts I took out. Night and day. Makes it feel like a new car.

Shame on me that I haven't done an alignment yet. SO I guess I might have some uneven tire wear. Candidly though it's nowhere no as big a deal as people make out. The car runs straight and true, doesn't pull in either direction so i'm in no rush.

I didn't replace the sway bar links as I ran out of cash. I would love to do it though, i get that thunking sound everytime I go over a rough road. I guess I'll do it in the summer and replaced the sway bar itself at the same time with a thicker one.

Good work mate.

Galcobar
02-11-2009, 07:24 AM
The one thing to keep in mind that a car which runs straight but is misaligned will suffer in the handling department. You might not notice it due to the improvements made to your suspension, but it cannot help.

Technically, you could have two wheels pointed sideways. As long as they point in opposite directions at equal angles, the car will run straight.

MaroonST
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
wow those old parts look like shit, id hate to see what the parts on my 88 look like....

airman0404
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I have to do my suspension this summer. Could you give some more info on how you got the cartridge out and how difficult it was? It would be much appreciated.
What made it easy for me to get my cartridges out was that I had a vise on my work bench. I slipped in a couple sockets where the mount bolts go, so you don't bend it all up. Clamped it in the vise, and used a pipe wrench to get the gland nut off. It took hardly any force to get the gland nut loose. Then I just pulled the guts out of the strut, saved a little of the oil that was inside(very little). Cleaned up the base, and painted it. Then poured a very little of the oil back in, and slipped the new cartridge in, tighted the new gland nut. Now you have a new strut. The vise helped alot.

airman0404
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Those old parts where pretty bad. You can see on the struts that the rear sway links had to be cut off. That was probably the hardest and most time consuming of the whole day, beside beer breaks. The links were actually siezed in the sway bar. I had to grind the link smooth with the sway bar and hammer and punch the link out. The new ones from Twos R Us, are great, all stainless and no allen wrench needed.

The Celi rides so much better like you said, Simonhla. Its night and day. No more clunking from the rear. My car drove straight and true also after I changed all of this, but after looking at the alignment sheet, it was off. It wasn't too bad, but enough to wear a tire irregular I'm sure. I just shopped ebay for best prices and made out pretty good I think. I could have done better, after i bought all of this parts I found a few cheaper on ebay, but oh well.
I'll post prices so people could have an idea:
4-KYb Struts - $184 shipped - Ebay
2-Front Monroe Strut mounts - $80 shipped - Ebay
2-Kyb Rear strut mounts - $94 shipped - Ebay
4-Toyota stock springs - Lets just say they were collecting dust on the shelve at the local dealership. Couple cases of beer to my buddy, who happens to be the Parts Dept Manager.
6-Toyota insulators - $70 - Dealer(had to pay for those)
2-Twos R Us rear links - $81 shipped
2-Rear KYB boots - $24 shipped - Ebay
Lifetime Alignment - $170 - Firestone
Grand Total: $733 w/the beer

In the end it was all worth ever penny.

RedRkt01
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I suppose that about par for the course when dealing with a stock suspension.

mr2trd3
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice to see you didn't cheap out much. However, for those who are on a budget (like me), is it completely necessary to replace all of those? From my research, I've found it that most people agree that only the front strut tops need replacing and not the rears.

Thanks for this post. I'm getting ready to overhaul the suspensions on both of my cars, too.

airman0404
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Nice to see you didn't cheap out much. However, for those who are on a budget (like me), is it completely necessary to replace all of those? From my research, I've found it that most people agree that only the front strut tops need replacing and not the rears.

Thanks for this post. I'm getting ready to overhaul the suspensions on both of my cars, too.
Well, The pic of me holding the mount is the rear mount. It was toast. My front on the other hand looked pretty good, but the bearings looked in bad shape, seal was gone. My recommendation would be to replace everthing I did. I know it seems like alot but it pays off. My original lower insulators didn't look to bad, but they had some noticable cracking. As for the boots, my original front ones looked good, but the back were complete wasted, in a couple pieces. Your rear sway bar links probably will have to be cut out, so go ahead and buy new ones. If you are looking to save money, I'd say just go ahead and re-use your old springs if they aren't cracked or broken. That's just my opinon, the springs are the least likely to be worn out.

Trance4c
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Yep, I can't wait to do this! I have everything, including control arms and bushings. I just need the 4 strut mounts and I'll be doing the same.

Glad to hear it turned out so well!

k.beaty
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Yep, I can't wait to do this! I have everything, including control arms and bushings. I just need the 4 strut mounts and I'll be doing the same.

Glad to hear it turned out so well!

theres no aftermarket control arms for 5th gens correct? are you just using oem ones?

RedRkt01
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
theres no aftermarket control arms for 5th gens correct? are you just using oem ones?

I think Cusco made some for the ST185......I think.

Trance4c
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Correct, OEM. When it comes to these parts, specifically the rear, you'll end up having to buy new ones as the spherical bearings are pressed in from Toyota. Currently, there are no replacements (unless you want to try some poly bearing, but those have lateral movement and will provide a small degree of slop compared to the correct spherical bearing).

Ads28
02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
congrats on the install...that list looks pree similar to wat i did a lil while back...just all 4 mounts were KYB and i used H&R springs:) i bet it feels damn good to drive now

METDeath
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
If you need to do this on a budget, purchase parts as you can afford them, and don't worry about getting them all at once.

joe's gt
02-12-2009, 02:45 AM
What made it easy for me to get my cartridges out was that I had a vise on my work bench. I slipped in a couple sockets where the mount bolts go, so you don't bend it all up. Clamped it in the vise, and used a pipe wrench to get the gland nut off. It took hardly any force to get the gland nut loose. Then I just pulled the guts out of the strut, saved a little of the oil that was inside(very little). Cleaned up the base, and painted it. Then poured a very little of the oil back in, and slipped the new cartridge in, tighted the new gland nut. Now you have a new strut. The vise helped alot.

Thanks for the info. Never done suspension work, so it should be interesting.

airman0404
02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
congrats on the install...that list looks pree similar to wat i did a lil while back...just all 4 mounts were KYB and i used H&R springs:) i bet it feels damn good to drive now
It feels almost like driving a new car. No more clunking, creeking, or sounding as if the wheels are going to fall off.