PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

Ryan
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Last wednesday I was on my way to college, and my car was running great. Well, I get about 5 miles away from school, come up to a stop sign, and I see a lot of smoke coming out of the engine bay.

I pull off on a side road, and it was spewing steam and coolant out of the overflow tube next to the battery.

I took the radiator cap off, and it was really low on coolant.

I tried to make it back home, but it overheated and almost pegged, so I shut it off, and waited for aaron to bring me coolant.

Well, I figured maybe when I had the coolant hoses on the throttle body disconnected I got an air bubble.

I filled it back up, and drove it home.

Since then, I havent had any problem. I havent taken any longer drives, but going around town etc. it is fine.

Well, today, once again, I was on my way to college.

I got to the same stop sign.

It wasnt smoking this time, but the temp gauge went just a little above half.

So I pulled to the same spot on the same road as before. I opened the hood, it was barely dripping out of the overflow tube. I took the radiator cap off, and it was a little low.

I put some more coolant in it, and it was fine all the rest of the way.

I checked it when I got to class, and it was still ok.

When I was on my way home, it was just fine, and made it home just fine.

I checked it when I got home again, and it looked ok still.

It isnt blowing any smoke out of the exhaust.

Both upper and lower radiator hoses get warm, so that means the thermostat is ok.

It isnt leaking out of the radiator.

I just replaced the radiator cap.

When tuner4life had it, he replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and did a cooling sytem flush, and replaced the radiator.

What could be causing this?

Does it matter which way the coolant lines go on the throttle body?

Any ideas would be much appreciated guys.

hobbie2k
02-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you're losing coolant somewhere. Have you checked for coolant in the oil? It's also possible that it's leaking out of another part of the engine. Perhaps the TB bypass is leaking.

I would make a point of continuously checking the coolant for a while to get an idea of how fast it's leaking (or even if it's leaking). Then when you have that figured out you can start narrowing down your options.

Ryan
02-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, the coolant and oil are both clean. I also smelled the exhaust and it smells normal.

It is not smoking.

The only place it is leaking is the overflow.

I just went out and checked, and i had to add a bit more. And then I attempted to burp it more. It did burp a bit.

It doesnt have any signs at all of a blown head gasket. I mean, the coolant is perfectly clean, the oil is perfectly clean, it runs good, and pulls through all rpms, and like I said, no smoke.

It just slowly drips from the overflow.

It only went a bit over half this time, but then on the way home, it was fine.

I got rid of the TB coolant bypass and put it back to stock.

Does it matter which way the hoses go on the TB?

Trance4c
02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
You could have had a bubble in the coolant system when you disconnected the hoses to the throttle body. It is the hardest location to burp due to how high it is compared to any other component in the engine bay.

I would say just keep an eye on it, I bet you'll be alright. You probably had a bubble, it got super heated, you blew out a lot of coolant and it overheated. The hoses to the throttle body do have a correct orientation (I know, I doubted myself once but had it right).

Have you checked into your radiator fans? Are they working correctly?

Ryan
02-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Ok, the coolant hoses going to the throttle body are connected like this right now... The one that comes from the front of the engine is connected to the nipple closest to the front, and the other is connected to the back...

The fans are working...

I know when the previous owner(tuner4life) replaced the radiator he put in stop leak, I dont know why.. I dont know if that would affect anything..

Also, it seams like both upper and lower hoses are getting warm, but it seems like the top one is warmer...

I have a full gasket set on the way(my dad needed a valve cover gasket, and the whole kit was like $10 more than just the valve cover gasket), as well as head bolts.

I also have a 97-01 camry metal head gasket, new thermostat, and thermostat gasket on the way from 1sttoyotaparts.com.

I just figured I would get the stuff on its way just in case, and if it ends up not being that, then I will have it all around if it ever does happen...

I just pray that it isnt the head gasket because I dont have a transmission for the 6th gen yet, and so I dont have anything else to drive.

andy
02-10-2009, 01:11 AM
check yur rad cap. if its leaking it will push coolent out until it overheats. also leave yur cap off and let your car warm up to release any air do this while squezing the hoosets!

Ryan
02-10-2009, 01:36 AM
I just got a new radiator cap a few days ago...

I am going to burp it again tomorrow...

Ryan
02-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

RedRkt01
02-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Tuner may have replaced the thermostat, but that is what I'm betting on. I know that if it gets stuck in the closed position the radiator will appear low. Meanwhile the coolant inside the engine can't get out so the temp spikes. I could be wrong. I usually am, but that's what I'm going with.

Ryan
02-10-2009, 03:15 AM
I am going to replace the thermostat with an actual toyota one, and flush the system and refill it with actual toyota red coolant...

RedRkt01
02-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Good deal.....hopefully that takes care of it.

92VertGT
02-10-2009, 03:31 AM
I am going to replace the thermostat with an actual toyota one, and flush the system and refill it with actual toyota red coolant...

lol.....?

Ryan
02-10-2009, 03:35 AM
What?^

92VertGT
02-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Do you not have a Toyota thermostat or Toyota coolant now? Lol

Ryan
02-10-2009, 03:39 AM
No, its on its way though.

92VertGT
02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
That's good. Toyota quality only comes with Toyota parts.

Ryan
02-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Yup. That is why I am getting it.

Ryan
02-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, a quick update.

I went out this morning and and started it up and tried burping it. It did burp some more.

Well, I had it running for about 15 minutes and the once it warmed up completely I felt the hoses.

The upper one got warm, but the lower one did not. Also, the fan did not kick on.

So I think it was a combination of air bubbles, and I think my thermostat is staying shut.

What do you guys think?

RedRkt01
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
You already know what I think ;)

Ryan
02-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks kevin!!