PDA

View Full Version : Engine Chatter on Start Up

Tecker184
02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have a 91 gt-s with 168k lately i have noticed with it being -2 out side that when i first start my car it makes a little noise for a few seconds. Most likely cause is no oil up top so i was wondering if there was a way to make a pump or something that would prime oil system before a started it and i found this (http://www.autoenginelube.com/ordernow/autoenginelube1qt.html). After searching the web for bout an hour :) i think im gonna buy it.(tax money :) ) This is the cheapest one i could find with the electronic switch i dont need anything fancy seeing how this is a daily driver and im just looking to extend the life of my engine and these cold winters dont help. I figured i would put this out here and see what you guys think. Also was looking for advice on were to tap into a oil galley any advice would be appreciated

-Bruce

Galcobar
02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Have you considered a block warmer? Having a device to pump oil up high in the engine is unlikely to do much good if the oil is too thick from the cold.

Tecker184
02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
ya but that would require plugging it in i live upstairs and have no access to a plug in. This isnt a pump its actually pressurized oil from when the engine is running it will read on a oil pressure gauge when the pressure is released

MaroonST
02-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Wouldnt that just release more oil into the engine then needed?

btw, your car is like 18 years old.... how many winters has it been thru? how many colds starts has it made it thru succesfully?

if it hasnt died yet, chances are its pretty normal for your engine to do this....

Tecker184
02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Not exactly its oil thats already in your engine when the key is turned to the on position it release's the oil priming your system it isn't just the winter this helps with its every start i also plan on doing a swap in the summer and i think this would nothing but extend the life of this engine and my future engine that i swap in i ordered a kit i will let you guys know how it turned out

Tecker184
02-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Well i got my kit today im very happy with it came with everything you need to install it fittings zip ties everything it even has a little oil pressure gauge on it i will install it tomorrow most likely i have to work in a few hours i will post pics and what i think of it

T-spoon
02-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Wouldnt that just release more oil into the engine then needed?

btw, your car is like 18 years old.... how many winters has it been thru? how many colds starts has it made it thru succesfully?

if it hasnt died yet, chances are its pretty normal for your engine to do this....

Heh, not the most sound logic ever I'm afraid. Engine internals do wear out. You should take a look at some 18 year old cam journals and even rod bearings. Even a car well maintained that isn't a lemon.. the internals will wear out at some point, and even if they haven't, the bearings will all be thinner than when the car was new.

OP. I'm assuming you're using a much thinner oil for wintertime?

Tecker184
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
no useing what is recommended for my car and its not alot of noise by any means and it goes away as soon as the oil gets up and moving. Im sure this will solve my problem and will prolong the life of my 3sgte with 52k when it is installed this spring like i said all this does is prime the oil system before start up to reduce wear and prolong engine life check out the website its up top in my first post Amsoil sells a kit just like this for $400 plus idk i think its a good idea

Galcobar
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Toyota actually recommends a range of oil viscosities depending upon the temperature. I'd have to look in my owner's manual to see what's recommended for -18C.

Side note: for the comfort, convenience, and avoidance of headaches of those reading your posts, please look into the use of punctuation and separate sentences.

joe's gt
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
^ LOL. I agree. very hard to read. A lot of newcomers always do that. We could help you a lot better if we understood what you were saying. Not trying to be a dick or anything, just some constructive criticism.

Did you try switching to a thinner oil before buying that pump? That might have been all you needed to do. Let us know if it indeed does work.

Isn't oil in the head and on the bearings still upon first start up. That should provide enough lubrication for initial startup and oil pressure develops pretty quick. As for their claim about the turbo charger spinning at 30,000 rpms when the key is turned off, is that at idle? I though thats the idea of a turbo timer, for letting your turbo cool and lower its rpms so it doesn't cook itself. And any person with a forced induction car without a turbo timer should know to let their car idle for 1-2 minutes before getting out.

Tecker184
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry english was never my strong point. I will do my best. I run 5w-30 didnt think that it was a problem. What i bought wasnt a pump its a container that is primed by your oil system and when the engine is shut off the oil pressure is trapped inside it when the key is turned into the on position the oil is released essentially priming the engine for start up.

joe's gt
02-15-2009, 11:36 PM
It actually seems like a good idea. Unfortunately, if your car is making that noise, it might be an indication that the valve train is going bad. There are plenty of people on here who live in cold climates with 3sgte's that have never complained of engine chatter upon start up (at least from the posts I've seen recently). Block warmers seem to be the most common solution to cold climates, but I am very anxious to see if this solves your problems.

schnee
02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think an oil primer is going to help the problem. Sounds like piston and valve clearances closing up as it warms up. If you were pumping hot oil in - maybe

What's the oil pressure like? Can you listen to the motor and tell if the noise is coming from the top, middle, side or bottom of the motor. Use a stethoscope/ long piece of wood etc?

Ive even had cambelt tensioners that sounded like bad big ends when cold.

5W oil? Surely manufacturers specs no longer apply to an engine this worn or old? That stuff is like water

Tecker184
02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Its cumming from the top and it clears up before i step back out the car

schnee
02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
You need to get out your feeler gauge and check those valve clearances. Piston slap, pin knock usually takes a minute or two to subside.

If it's that cold there in the morning, I would go to a thicker oil and not worry about it

My uncle always said "A loose tappet is a happy tappet"

Just make sure to always warm the motor before driving.
To increase pressure you could also change the oil pump pulley for a 25 tooth GTE item, assuming yours is a 27 tooth.

On a side note, when I was in UK I saw a system which runs off battery power and warms the water (motor) before starting in cold climates, I think it was made by Kenlowe.
Kenlowe.com - but I don't see it listed there

joe's gt
02-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I would think a block warmer would cause the metal too expand, tightening clearances and solving your chatter problem. Just IMO. I have never lived in that cold of a climate, but I think schnee is right in that when the metal is that cold it contracts and causes excess clearance which causes chatter. Therefore a block warmer might cause the metal to expand and tighten up clearances, reducing chatter. Once again, I don't know, just an assumption.

usp45
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Why can't you run an extension cord for a block heater, I'm mean how far are we talkin? Block heater would be optimal for what you described.

if your car doesn't leak or burn oil, you might try synthetic oil, it flows much better in the cold.

MrWOT
02-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Switch to 0w40 and get an Accusump.

Tecker184
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
i bought an accusump thats what this thread was about i plan on installing it my next oil change

MrWOT
02-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Oops, missed that link in the text!

I plumbed mine in right after the filters. If you don't have a sandwich plate I'd invest in one :)

joe's gt
02-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Rob, you really get engine chatter in CA? I haven't had any ever during the winter. Or do you use the pump as just a safety measure?

MrWOT
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I used it to prime the turbo and in case of pressure failure.