PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance and swaps?

eatdirt40
02-06-2009, 04:26 AM
How is car insurance and swaps? Do you guys tell them? Has anybody ever been in an accident without disclosing to the insurance they had a swap? What would happen?

Murgatroy
02-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Call your insurance provider and ask them.

eatdirt40
02-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Looking for personal reviews/opinions.

Murgatroy
02-06-2009, 04:39 AM
If you get into a wreck with it, it can be considered an 'illegal modification.' It would put the car into a different insurance bracket, say from 'Subcompact' to 'Sports Car.'

I have never reports my mods though. I am not even sure that it would matter unless you were carrying full coverage.

Grot
02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
From what i understand, if the company is not informed, they will only replace what you claim your car is. not sure about insurance fraud issues or anything about that.

METDeath
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
It depends on the policy issuer, mine will cover up to 2000 in mods... which I'm probably sitting on without counting any of the stuff I have waiting to be installed... and since some of my stuff is paypal/cash and self install, they don't insure that.

19celica90
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
i have a 3s swap and i have state farm insurance. They told me if i wanted to claim modifications they would cover it, but my rates would go up obviously. Insurance companies dont seem to like to replace non oem parts such as aftermarket rims, bodykits and stuff like that.
You're best bet might be to document all your modifications with a digital camera so you have proof. Try to keep receipts so they can see the price too. I've always wondered what would happen if I got hit really good in my gts. Im sure the car would be considered totaled because a 5th gen runs about 2500-3000 in KBB, so id hate to see my celica in the junkyard and some punk wrenching on my 3s. You can always buy it back tho for 500 i think

Nitro_Alltrac
02-07-2009, 01:44 AM
The buy back thing varies from state to state. Here you don't get the option of buying it back. After they pay you, the insurance company picks the car up and it goes to the salvage auction. They are supposed to notify you when the auction will be and you can go and bid on the car. I went through this about 14 years ago with a 72 Monte Carlo that got caught in a flood.

Trance4c
02-07-2009, 02:08 AM
From what i understand, if the company is not informed, they will only replace what you claim your car is. not sure about insurance fraud issues or anything about that.

Ding, you got it.

Your policy is only for whats written in it. If your policy takes into account mods, then it is written for it. If it is written so you can claim any items, keep receipts.

If you have a swap most likely you'll not get out of it what its worth in any instance, so I don't claim it. Seriously, if something happen to it it would be a complete loss for the most part and suck, but a 3S swap Celica is not of the price tag I couldn't do it again. These are not overly expensive setups in my perspective, so thats why I don't claim.

Your insurance will always come down to what you choose the policy to be.

joe's gt
02-07-2009, 04:06 AM
^ which is why i didn't notify my insurance.

VikingJZ
02-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Most insurance companies see a 1990 Toyota Celica GT.

I know someone who wrecked a a Volvo 850 built for about 650whp and tried TELLING the insurance companies about his modifications and they basically told him, "Sorry, you drive a 1997 Volvo 850 with blue book price of $x,xxx."

He bought the car back for just the engine and parted the rest out.

Ended up on top in the end, but he still had to part it out.

Just be aware of that. It probably depends from each company to company, but for the most part they just see what you drive and generally horsepower won't affect them unless you have some kind of special policy, or collector car insurance.

That's how mine is. I could have a GTE swap into my SC pushing 900HP, and they'd still give me $4,500 for the car.

Which is why if I sold the SC, it would return to bone stock condition.