PDA

View Full Version : The Choices We Make With Cars...

Freshnicity
02-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Can sometimes be hard lol.

Whos got stories of old loves they had to let go for whatever reasons?

My current one = 92 ST, first Celica. Shes eating too much money, and is in just too bad of shape, shes got to go, fixing the GT, preparing for swap, and parting out the old girl.

it hurts my soul.

I want to hear others loses. Whos got some?

Grot
02-04-2009, 05:26 AM
MY first car. A 1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria with 47k original on her.

Loved that car, It ate money like no other though.

The first day i drove her, my Trans Main seal blew out, sprayed onto the brakes and my plastic dust cover caught fire.

the Brakes caught fire Twice
had Many many random problems (it sat for 6 years in TN)
All the rubber went bad

She finally died when a Rad hose blew off the block on the highway and i didnt realise it. No fluid no CEL. i continued to drive for 3 miles, it died the second i stopped on the off ramp.

got her running again tho, had a gnarly rod knock, Sold her to some (explitive deleted) for $600.

I dont have any pics of her. She was in Pristine condition too.

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 05:30 AM
none of mine, but my brothers accord that use to be my moms was a tough let go...

We were the original owners and everything, but she took a lot of crap. When my brother recieved her, the interior was getting trashy, he didnt maintain it, got swiped by a staples truck that pushed him into the guard rail, so the car was ugly after that. She was closing in on around 300k miles and still ran strong as a bull, but was beginning to eat too much money. The rear brakes needed work, the body needed severe work, the interior needed a deep cleaning, the front steering was developing a clunk, we had to replace the ignition switch, some other issues, and then the final straw was a fuel leak in the main fuel line. Once that developed, it was time to let the car go, just was not worth fixing anymore.

I learned to drive in that car, took my drivers test in that car, and grew up with that car, it was a sad day when she left.

I was at the yard we took it to the other day, I almost thought I had seen her but it was just an identical accord. I think they crushed her almost immediately :(

Freshnicity
02-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Man, i like these stories, i dont feel so bad now lol.

Grot I bet that crown vic was mad nice, i love those cars.

and yeah Celica90GT, I feel what youre saying about that Accord. But sometimes, its best to, just let go.

(i talk about cars, as if they were women, sorry)

Murgatroy
02-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Don't even get me started...

celica91gts
02-04-2009, 06:34 AM
*slap* they are women! ride them gently and she will purr... ride her hard and she screams. treat her nice and she will let ride her for a long time. =)

Freshnicity
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Don't even get me started...

Ha, tell us about MudHoney bro. I want to hear her story before you trade her in for a Space Wedge.

And yes, you are exactly right 91GTS. Im going to put that on a t shirt

Ryan
02-04-2009, 07:07 AM
My first car was a 1994 Nissan Altima GXE.

My parents bought it in 1995 and it was a salesmen's car that they demo'd.

My parents put just over 200k miles on it by the time I got it in 2004.

By the time I sold it, it had 225k miles on it.

It had a bad transmission, and my mom sold it without me knowing, and kept the money.

I have a couple others, but I dont feel like telling them right now.

I did love that car though. It wasnt anything special, but it was the reason I got into working on cars a lot.

usp45
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I've got some stories, as do all real car lovers. Unfortunatly it seems that heartbreak is inevitable when you love an inanimate object that can't ever return the love or devotion. I think I must like pain or something, And I'm guessing my st162 will break my heart someday too.

*edit Its all worth it though, I guess thats what seperates us car guys from the normals.

Cavanagh
02-04-2009, 09:41 AM
I have only owned two cars, my 93 Celica ST and 93 MR2. Both have been great to me, but i will NEVER EVER own a more reliable car then Celispeed aka my Celica. :hehe: i miss it every day and was the most reliable car i have yet to own. from 118k to around 135k when she got killed, the ONLY thing wrong was an alternator that i paid for and replaced about 3 weeks before her death. :( now im depressed, thanks OP.

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I've got some stories, as do all real car lovers. Unfortunatly it seems that heartbreak is inevitable when you love an inanimate object that can't ever return the love or devotion. I think I must like pain or something, And I'm guessing my st162 will break my heart someday too.

*edit Its all worth it though, I guess thats what seperates us car guys from the normals.

what! You're full of it, cars usually let you know if they like you or not! But theres a difference between that and then crying out in pain from needing multiple repairs

usp45
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
what! You're full of it, cars usually let you know if they like you or not! But theres a difference between that and then crying out in pain from needing multiple repairs

I agree that the better you treat a car the better it will treat you, usually. maybe I just have bad luck. It doesn't help that I have bought almost all of my cars for less than $1000.

METDeath
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
My first real car, a 95 Buick park avenue white with tan leather, auto a/c, power EVERYTHING (only option it didn't have was memory seats based on the key fob used). I had the car from 150k to 180k. When it committed suicide by ripping the power steering pump off the block and leaving parts of the bolts in the block.

mr2trd3
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
*slap* they are women! ride them gently and she will purr... ride her hard and she screams. treat her nice and she will let ride her for a long time. =)

Umm...no. It probably goes without saying that you have not had any relationships with women besides your mother.

hobbie2k
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I've owned so many cars I can hardly believe it.

I learned to drive in a '95 Altima GXE my parent's bought new. It was purple (I actually really liked the color) and it served us well for some 175k mi with no repairs (that weren't our fault).

The first car I owned was a '72 F-250 with a 390. It blew a frost plug on the freeway, and by the time traffic allowed me onto the shoulder it had thrown a rod. That was a week after I had got it running for the first time in 5 years. I was on my way to town to buy tires (thank God it blew BEFORE I bought the tires).

The cars I miss the most, though, would have to be my '80 Celica LT2000 coupe, the '90 240SX hatch, '91 Silvia Q's, '94 240SX 'vert, and the '06 Jetta 2.0T.

Too many stories...

hobbie2k
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
My first real car, a 95 Buick park avenue white with tan leather, auto a/c, power EVERYTHING (only option it didn't have was memory seats based on the key fob used). I had the car from 150k to 180k. When it committed suicide by ripping the power steering pump off the block and leaving parts of the bolts in the block.

I'd probably commit suicide too, having you inside me every day.

:wiggle:

Freshnicity
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
lol Hobbie you've been through mad cars dude lol.

Man' how do you even go through them so quick.

And im sorry Cav :(

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Umm...no. It probably goes without saying that you have not had any relationships with women besides your mother.

haha believe me some cars do like to get rough once in a while. I've actually seen cars die because they were driven gently before other cars that get rough once in a while. Carbon is a murderer!

bloodMoney
02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
My story starts with a 91 GT... I bought her at 99,000miles and drove her until 110,000. That car was mint inside and out. No rust anywhere. She blew a spark plug out of the cylinder head one night and it cost me 1300 to replace it. 4 months later, the clutch went out on me. Once all of that was cleared up, I started picking up pieces to turbo the ol' girl and I had picked up a spare 5s that I was going to build. The day after I bought the motor, I totalled her. I ran her right up the ass end of a caddy. She was still running and drivable when the insurance made me give her up.

I miss that car to this day... (even after buying the alltrac)

So here goes a long story about my current car. She's a 91 Crown Vic 5.0 and she was bought new by my grandfather. I inherited her at 55,xxx miles and she now has 92,xxx... She's been the most reliable car over the last 5 years and I can't get over just how indestructible this car is. When I got her she was clean (as clean as you can get for 10 Chicago winters). Now she's rusting apart; I've replaced every inch of the fuel/brake lines, new rear main seal, etc, etc... I loaned her to my now-ex gf for a few hours and when she came to pick me up from work, the front brakes were grinding like no other... I figured I'd just drive the weekend out then change them during the week. Well, no such luck. As I was rounding a corner at the bottom of a hill, the fronts locked up on me and swung me around to the guardrail... drivers rear, then passenger front. Now I've got this car smashed front and back that I've lived with for the last 3 years... Last week, I remote started the car and 5 minutes later when I was leaving work, there she was, running like a champ..... knocking her ass off. (this is what happens after 5 minutes without oil pressure)

So after all that I've been through with this car, she's dying. I changed the oil and put in 15w-40 and she doesn't knock anymore :D Unfortunately, its only a matter of time before the motor goes.... It'll be a really sad day when that happens.

hobbie2k
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
lol Hobbie you've been through mad cars dude lol.

Man' how do you even go through them so quick.

And im sorry Cav :(

Hard to say, but I just manage.

All the cars I've owned, in order I bought them:

1. 1972 Ford F-250 Ranger Custom Trailer Special, 390ci V8, 3spd Auto
2. 1990 Nissan 240SX hatch, 2.4L SOHC I4, 5spd Manual
3. 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon, 3.1L V6, 4spd OD Auto
4. 1994 Lincoln Continental, 3.6L V6, 4spd OD Auto
5. 1991 Nissan Sentra SE, 1.6L DOHC I4, 5spd Manual
6. 1981 Datsun 280C, 2.8L SOHC I6, 4spd OD Auto, Australia
7. 1980 Toyota Celica LT2000 coupe, 2.0L SOHC I4, Auto, Australia
8. 1991 Nissan Silvia Q's, 1.8L DOHC I4, 5spd Manual, JDM in Australia
9. 1988 Nissan Cima Cedric, 3.0L DOHC V6 Turbo, 4spd OD Auto, JDM in Australia
10. 1982 Datsun 200B Wagon, 2.0L SOHC I4, 3spd Auto, Australia
11. 1994 Nissan 240SX convertible, 2.4L DOHC I4, 4spd OD Auto
12. 1993 Toyota Camry LE, 3.0L DOHC V6, 4spd OD Auto
13. 1986 Buick Regal, 307ci V8, 4spd Auto
14. 1993 Honda Accord LX Wagon, 2.2L SOHC I4, 5spd Manual
15. 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS, 3.5L OHV V6, 4spd OD Auto
16. 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T, 2.0L DOHC DI I4 Turbo, 6spd Manual
17. 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LS coupe, 2.2L DOHC I4, 5spd Manual
18. 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Wagon, 5.0L OHV V8, 4spd OD Auto
20. 2008 Ford Fusion SEL, 2.3L DOHC I4, 5spd Manual

Here are cars that I didn't own but drove regularly for work or otherwise:

1. 1995 Nissan Altima GXE, 2.4L DOHC I4, 4spd OD Auto
2. 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country, 4.0L SOHC I6, 4spd OD Auto
3. 1990 Hyundai Excel, 1.6L DOHC I4, 5spd Manual
4. 1988 Ford Ranger, 2.9L OHV V6, 5spd Manual
5. 2005 Kia Spectra, 2.0L DOHC I4, 4spd OD Auto
6. 2007 Toyota Corolla, 1.8L DOHC I4, 4spd OD Auto
7. 2007 Ford E-150 Econoline, 4.6L SOHC V8, 4spd OD Auto

Just don't ask Murg how many cars he's owned. I don't think there's enough bandwidth on the internets.

Waffles!
02-05-2009, 03:27 AM
My Mom gave her beloved BMW 325i to my idiot older brother who has a drinking problem. One night he got behind the wheel after having "a couple" of beers, passed out, tore a metal sign off 2 feet from the ground, ran into a ditch and totaled the car. The bitch about this? I was going to buy the car from my Mom before she gave it to the idiot brother.

My parents recently (today) traded in their Saturn Sky Redline to get something more practical.

My previous car, a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, was my baby. I loved that car. Then one day a girl I went to school with pulled out in front of me. I couldn't get out of the way in time, so most of the front driver side of the car was crunched to Hell and back. She was totaled and I bought my current car.

DudeMan
02-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm 19, been driving a little less than a year and I have owned 12 to date.

The only one I really hated to let go was my first car, a 91 Celica GT. I drove it for 4 or 5 months and put $2,500 into it. Tinted windows, rims, HID etc. A little too much maybe but it looked cool and I loved it.

The engine started making an ugly noise and I had a feeling it would only get worse. I also got the braking cable fixed and the mechanic said it was very rusted underneath, all my brake cables were at risk of snapping. So I put it for sale for $5,000 (stupid high, I know) and didn't get any bites for a while. Then some guy offers me a 98 Infiniti Q45 in excellent condition, pearl white with tan leather interior, beautiful car. Had to do it, traded the guy on the spot basically...But that was the hard part, good deal or not it still sucked driving away, with my Celica in the rear view mirror.

A few weeks later I traded the Infiniti for my GT Four.

Here's pictures of the cars mentioned.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P6010085.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P7210231.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/frontangle-1.jpg

Grot
02-05-2009, 03:37 AM
My dad has an 01 Q45t Its a fuckin badass car. I would rock that given the chance. Fucker is fast as hell

92VertGT
02-05-2009, 04:45 AM
All good stories.

My first car was a '93 Camaro Z28, owned it long enough to put a good sound system in it and change the oil a couple times and then the head gasket went. Got an even trade for the Celica at a local dealer. Good memories with that car. Too bad it went so fast, I had some nice plans for it.

I saw a girl driving it the other day and it brought back memories. I guess someone must have fixed it between then and now. :shrug:

Ryan
02-05-2009, 05:44 AM
I have had...

-1994 Nissan Altima GXE- Sold with 225k miles
-1993 Mazda mx-3-Put the most work into this car, paid $550 for it, and sold it for $2000
-1992 Celica GT hatch(i bought it from my dad, wrecked it, sold it to tuner4life, and bought it back after the infiniti)
-1991 infiniti Q45-loved the car, but sucked gas, and had a nasty rear main leak)
-and now I got the celica back. :)

I have also had a 1994 Dodge intrepid as a backup.

And now I have the 6th gen ST. :)

celica91gts
02-05-2009, 05:54 AM

whoa! someone can't take a joke. this sour patch needs to pull a stick out of his ass. also i have to disagree with you as i've had my fair share of women and am currently taken in a 3 year relationship. sorry friend.

andy
02-05-2009, 06:07 AM

your hostility is not approved.

92VertGT
02-05-2009, 06:11 AM
your hostility is not approved.

+1

celicaGT90_05
02-05-2009, 06:39 AM
I quite honestly didnt understand the purpose of the comment...a bad day perhaps?

Ryan
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
^Its not the first time. I seem to remember a certain thread a month or so ago asking advice on getting a new car...

Cavanagh
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Not trying to start anything serious, but my buddy had a cobra, trying to learn more about why i love Celicas joined the site, made a simple question and got Perma banned. He's been a douche (mr2trd3) , made several unnecessary comments and is still here.....

hobbie2k
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I want a Q45t too, I'd probably rebadge it as a Nissan Cima, though.

I almost had a nice one in San Diego, too. Sage green in perfect condition, 70k mi. But the bank was late getting the check out and the seller moved to Sacramento the day before I got it. So I ended up returning the check and payed cash for the Camry.

celica91gts
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
q45's are badass. look like vip cars

Freshnicity
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Man Hoobie youve had a lot of cars man lol.

Some good stories in this thread, cool contributions.

Great stuff

Ryan
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Not trying to start anything serious, but my buddy had a cobra, trying to learn more about why i love Celicas joined the site, made a simple question and got Perma banned. He's been a douche (mr2trd3) , made several unnecessary comments and is still here.....

Yeah, its got me stumped too cavy..

theorhetoric
02-06-2009, 12:11 AM
here's my list

1.1965 Chevy Nova 4dr I-6 Powerglide This was my grandfathers car and it sat for like 10 years. Then one day my parents said I could have it! I think yaaa for me.. well fast foward a year later ( I'm then 14) and my parents say I have to do something with it.. What was I supposed to do? I had to sell it. Still hate them a lil for that whole situation.

2. 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe I4 5spd What a piece this thing was! Smoked like a freight train. Power windows didn't work, no a/c, leaked oil.. Last time I let my parents buy me a car

3. 1987 Toyota Celica GT Hatch auto I was looking for something to replace my Tbird at the time and saw this for sale for $1200 one owner, almost 200k on the clock, shot paint job but in great condition, loaded, pwr windows/locks/mirriors/sunroof,cruse, electronic a/c the works. So I go to guy's house for a test drive. As we are on the test drive I am in my neighborhood when BOOM..the radiator blows. I park it at my dad's cause it won't make back.. 2 days later the man calls and says give me $200 for it. So I did. I then put a new radiator in it and proceeded to drive it for the next 3 years. After a few years I sold it for 300 to build........(the guy that bought it from me let someone drive for a few weeks and they somehow ran it out of oil which cause a fist sized hole in the side of the block) :(

4. 1987 Toyota MR2 5spd MY BABY.. I literally built this car from nothing!! When I found it it was in a hole with no wheels with a dog living in the engine bay and the engine in the seats. I paid $200 for that one. I then paid $300 for another 87 MR2 that ran, but who's front end had been run over by a semi.. So my stepdad and i made 1 car out of 2. and all was fast and handling well until I hydroplaned one night and spun twice almost flipped and destroyed the passenger side! But I'll be damned it it didn't drive me home!! I was so heart broken!

5. 1986 Toyota Celica GT Coupe 5spd(current) My stepdad's parents originally bought this car for his sister to drive but she could not drive a manual well and one day stalled it on some train tracks.. After that she refused to drive it anymore. Then his dad decided to rebuild the engine. He ends up getting the head off and then let it sit for the next 2 years..So then my stepdad gets the car for nothing, finds another 2se in a junkyard, rebuilds it and gets the car running again. Well when I wrecked my MR2 it left me with no vehicle at all. So my mom and decided to sell it to me for $600(small price to pay considering he spent almost $1000 in parts rebuilding the engine). At first I HATED it (cause it was so heavy compared to the MR.) but after a few years of driving it and it taking me all over the southeast and back I have grown to love it! I better considering I have replaced the following since I have owned it..

transmission
both axles
inner/outer tie rod ends
ball joints
steering rack boots
rear breaks
front breaks
front struts (which I'm going to have to do again soon my mounts are cracking)
plugs/wires/cap/ect.
alternator
3 wheel studs

and I may have an addition soon as I think I am buying a 95 Camry this weekend for $500!! If I do it will be the newest car I have ever owned!!!

Fuelish
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Would have to add my old first car to the list - '75 Celica ST ........ I dunno what I had done to it, I think I threw a rod/cracked the block...something not good and, being a northern car starting to rust in several spots badly, was easier to trade her in on something that I didn't have to fix. Knowing what I know now, I would've kept it and brought it back up to snuff ..... was a fun car, even with the weird black vinyl roof that it came with (dunno if it was a factory option ?? dealer option ??? was kind of weird, having a Japanese car with a vinyl roof - have never seen another). My dad bought it new in '75 and I bought it from him in '79 .....had it 'til like '94 or so. Was a great car, other than no a/c ....

VikingJZ
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
My first vehicle was technically a 1991 GMC Sonoma.

It was rusty to all hell, wasn't very reliable (typical GM), and just was an overall POS. Not long after, I acquired my 1990 Celica GT. Super Red II coupe, five speed, clean body at the time, and a mint interior. I got into an accident with it that would cost so much to fix.

The final straw was the fact that it needed an entirely new suspension. The oil pan gasket was leaking, the rear main seal was leaking. It needed a new PS pump and steering rack, along with the lines and hoses (As I had capped everything off and deleted the PS pump belt.

The money I would have spent investing into the car would have been way over what I could afford.

I really miss that car. I was trying to find a 92/93 GT with the same options as my 90 in excellent shape, but I couldn't find it.

I wanted a red, five speed coupe (I don't like hatchbacks--third, sixth, and seventh excluded). Just couldn't find what I wanted.

Ryan (92-GT) knew I was contemplating an SC series Lexus. He found the one I currently own on the Chicago CraigsList for me. I really enjoy that car as well, but it doesn't really have the same memories as my Celica did.

My 72 Celica hit its last straw this past fall when I realized that the wiring job was going nowhere (I kept getting bad harnesses, as I needed the plugs mainly). It was also rusted to the point where it would have required significant, time consuming, and costly rust repair. It was more work than I could handle and afford, just wasn't meant to be. I parted it out over the course of two months and made close to $2,000 on it. I traded my Sonoma for the Celica and $100 (Owner gave me $100 and the car). It ended up being a great deal as I had next to nothing invested into that car. I bought a 1995 Volvo 850 GLT with it, and then sold that to Tuner4Life and purchased a 96 Volvo 850 turbo wagon. I'm happy with the car, but if I found the right 92/93 GT, I'd sell the Volvo for it.

The SC isn't really going anywhere for a while. It fits my personality well and is very reliable, fun to drive, and reasonably quick. That's "my baby." It replaced the first gen as my project car.

Eventually, when I own my own home with storage space, I will own, along with the SC and Volvo, a fifth gen of my choosing resembling my old 1990, along with another early first gen. And, if I land the right small business ownership and am modestly succesful, the only car I'll ever take out a loan on will be a 1998 Supra TT six-speed red on tan/black.

I'm, for the most part, content with the cars I own. The Volvo is a niche car and you have to like the way it looks to enjoy it. It's very quick, fun to drive, and practical for some of the things I do.

The SC is just a great car all around.

Ryan
02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
^Ass, hatchbacks are just too manly for you.

celicaGT90_05
02-06-2009, 06:24 PM
^ I concure!

VikingJZ
02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Its just style preference.

I think the coupes are the most aggressive looking after an RC bumper and vert skirt upgrade, along with the three-piece wing.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, my 1991 ST is my first car and have been driving it since I turned 16. (I will be 21 in Aug). Shes on her second motor and is in the shop ATM waiting to be looked at on Monday. I hope and pray that whats wrong with her is an easy/cheap fix because ive spent more than triple what we bought her for in repairs and such. If not well idk, I guess Ill have to try and sell her somehow.

Simonhla
02-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Still have my first car. 1992 Celica GT Coupe. Last summer the head cracked and it leaked oil every where. I had to choose to do a 3sgte swap, drop in a JDM or do a rebuild. As it was daily driver I decided to do a rebuild and for the same money I would have spent on doing a 3sgte swap properly I got a rebuilt engine, a replacement tranny with only 40K on it, new rims and tires and a new suspension set up. Definitely made the right choice.