PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tower Braces...

H8PVMNT
02-04-2009, 03:01 AM
So I'm getting ready to fab some strut tower braces for my 5th gen and make some jigs so we can make alot of them.

I was in chat with Ciento44 and he mentioned the problem with the stock front one is that the firewall doesn't offer much support for triangulation. I was looking at mine today... what a chincy peice of tin! Is that thing just for looks or what? I don't see how it could possibly help at all. It really comes to a point on the firewall and I can see where this could yard on the firewall in this spot making it flex.

Just going from strut to strut isn't very good engineering since it would be hooking a floppy thing to another floppy thing.

Unfortunately as far as I can see triangulating on the firewall is probably the only option unless we want to make an entire full interior cage to tie into, which isn't really an option for most street cars.

On 4x4 applications where we have to triangulate a solid peice to something like the firewall or other sheetmetal we try to spread the load out a little bit with some kind of fish plate, so the contact point is a little bigger than what we see on the stock brace. It seems to work pretty good. Jeep Cherokees are unibody and there are alot of extreme suspension mods that work well under abusive conditions using this theory. Anybody ever seen JeepSpeed racing?

You could tie into the radiator core support, but it's cheasier than the firewall and that would probably send the brace into the cab in a wreck, which is bad...

You could also drop a tube down to the front engine mount on the crossmember, but I think it would kind of be in the way...

My plan is to make something like the stock brace, but with more surface area distributing the load on the firewall with another peice of tubing between the strut towers and a couple peices between to gusset everything making it a stiff brace that wants to hold shape on it's own, so that the triangulation to the firewall is more for fore and aft triangulation instead of the firewall doing the entire job.

I was thinking some 1 1/4 inch in 95 or 65 wall DOM round tubing since I have a tube bender die for that size and it would be reasonably stout without taking up to much space or being to heavy. I thought the tube over the engine should have a slight bend in it so it's not in the way of the oil filler cap.

So does anybody have any pics of something similar? I'd like to see how they do it on rally cars where thy really want it to work. Any ideas, fire away...

Wheel On!

Ryan
02-04-2009, 03:18 AM
I am in for front and rear.

:)

METDeath
02-04-2009, 03:44 AM
I might be down for a front one, depends on what it'll look like

VikingJZ
02-04-2009, 04:49 AM
I still have yet to measure.

Will do before class tomorrow. Promise.

k.beaty
02-04-2009, 05:54 AM
intrested in seeing the designs...

H8PVMNT
02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll make them for my car and a buddies car and post some pics. If you guys like them I'll be happy to make more...

Shadowlife25
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
You should talk to Conrad, he has been toying with this idea for some time now. I'm sure he could give you some pointers. :)

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I'd love to see the idea come into play. RHDJapan offer(ed) a strut bar that also replaces the factory brace bar, but it also takes on the similar shape so Im not sure if its much of an improvement. Any chance in this idea also including a strut bar? Now that I would love to see

H8PVMNT
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd love to see the idea come into play. RHDJapan offer(ed) a strut bar that also replaces the factory brace bar, but it also takes on the similar shape so Im not sure if its much of an improvement. Any chance in this idea also including a strut bar? Now that I would love to see

That's the plan. Like I said I'll post some picks when I make one. Then you guys can decide if it's worth a crap or not...

METDeath
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
One of my old bosses got a crappy eBay strut tower brace for his car (some Nissan), and even though it was a floppy piece of metal that just went strut to strut, he said he noticed a handling difference.

H8PVMNT
02-04-2009, 10:14 PM
One of my old bosses got a crappy eBay strut tower brace for his car (some Nissan), and even though it was a floppy piece of metal that just went strut to strut, he said he noticed a handling difference.

Going from strut to strut would be easy. If I had the mounting plates figured out you could just make one with the firewall peice left out on the same jig if someone wanted it that way. It stands to reason that it would add some stiffness and it would save a little weight...

I guess some SCCA classes don't allow for a three point brace, only a two point.

METDeath
02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Talk to grayscale, he made a few front strut tower braces back in the day.