PDA

View Full Version : convertible rear strut compatibility

celicaGT90_05
02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Was just wondering if the rear strut assembly would be the same as on my GT hatch. I was at the yard again today that I got my sys 10 panels from, so I decided to see what kind of rear brakes it had and it is disc. They told me $75 so I might save up to buy those if they are fully compatible. Also is there anything else I need to know before I make the swap?

BTW Joe I looked at the top again today, its junk

Fuelish
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Was just wondering if the rear strut assembly would be the same as on my GT hatch. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be ...... ASC just cut off the top, added reinforcement, and a modified rear seating area (narrow) for the verts .... I'm sure the chassis in that respect (struts) is identical. Of course, I've been wrong before, so....... hopefully someone else will chime in :cool:

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 03:48 AM
well if anyone could confirm that'd be great. I mean as long as the hub assembly will work that would be fine, but taking out the strut will probably be easier. Any info would be great.

Also this might be a better topic for suspension if mods want to me, I didnt really think about it before I posted

Galcobar
02-04-2009, 04:48 AM
You don't need the strut, or even the hubs.

You need the backing plate assembly, caliper, e-brake cables, hoses and rotors. If you want to take the strut, you'd still have to disconnect the axle carrier from the suspension arms and strut rod. If you just want the axle carrier, you have to disconnect it from the suspension arms, strut rod and strut.

Taking just the brakes, on the other hand, means undoing the four bolts holding the hub to the axle carrier and you can take the whole thing off in one shot (aside from the hoses and cables, which you have to disconnect from the car regardless).

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 04:59 AM
awesome, so just 4 bolts and thats all? Is the cable completely necessary? I could imagine that being a little bit of a hastle getting it all the way out unless there is an area where it disconnects from the main cable. But is that all it will take to get my drums off too and put these on? Sounds like a simple enough task

METDeath
02-04-2009, 05:27 AM
You should get the cable, oh, and the parking shoes, are apparently VERY thin even new. So just get the ones on the donor vehicle. Otherwise it's about $20 per pad or something stupid...

METDeath
02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Oh, and from what I can tell, all the strut mounts seem to be the same bolt pattern between all the trims. However, something is different about the All-trac rear struts... I think they're a different length... not 100% sure on that.

celicaGT90_05
02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks MET, yeah I know about how they dont add much material, they dont figure you need much if all they'll do is hold the car in place, so it saves cost. As long as it only takes 4 bolts (along with the other necessity's) I'm a happy camper, hopefully I can get them some time soon! The only reason I have to delay is that Im trying to put most all of my money toward my student loan, so to get these parts I am going to need to sell some things...unless someone wants to let me have $75 lol

Galcobar
02-05-2009, 03:01 AM
And yes, you want the cables -- unless you want to spend a lot of time trying to reshape the end of the cable.

You'll have to pull the exhaust shields to get the cable stays, but it's all accessible bolts. Check the stickied thread in the fifth-gen forum ("info you should know") for better info.

celicaGT90_05
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
^ Thanks for the tip! I finally got around to going through the guide. I suspected my eyes werent decieving me when I thought I saw my cars front brakes seemed smaller overall than even the rear brakes on the vert. So, I am considering upgrading the front to the larger brakes as well, anything I should know? Would I just need the knuckle, caliper, and rotor or more? I did not see such info in the guide.

Galcobar
02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
The original thread is more comprehensive. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227&page=1&pp=40

celicaGT90_05
02-06-2009, 08:41 AM
ahh I see, I overlooked it, thanks again :bigthumbu