PDA

View Full Version : Alltrac sputtering?

buffalohunter7321
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I'am looking to buy this alltrac, but it has a problem. At idle, it runs great, but when you go to take off or drive, it spits and sputters. Does anyone know what this could be?

Shadowlife25
01-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Really need to know more, there are so many things that could cause that, you know?
Any chance you have a bit more history on the car, like maybe any recent service or part replacement?

buffalohunter7321
02-01-2009, 01:42 AM
The owener said he had his mechanic install a new ECU and that it is still doing the same thing. As for me, I'am at a lose. My auto skills mainly come from old school cars. Do not know any thing about turbo's or boost. I only know what the owener is telling me. So I thought I would ask on where the experts our.

Shadowlife25
02-01-2009, 02:12 AM
I'd say it could be a vacuum leak, but it runs fine at idle... TPS is a possible, but I'm just shootin' in the dark here.

CriScO
02-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Agreed, that's one of those "could be 500 things, take your pick" deals. Ignition, fuel, vaccum, etc...

I'd start with your old-school knowledge. The most likely causes are still the same as they would be for any engine. Fouled plugs, vaccum leak, clogged fuel filter, bad gas, ignitor(akin to the ignition control module in those "old-school" terms), fuel pump.

Unfortunately this is one of those problems that will require troubleshooting, it's to general for there to be a likely common cause. Sorry! If you want to pick up the car be prepared for some work before it's reliable.

buffalohunter7321
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you bro's. The car is supposed to be rust free with no dents. The only thing wrong with this car is the clear coat is peeling. Interior is almost perfect and all glass is good. Every thing works, with the exception of running right. Could possibile pick it up for a 1000.00, would that be worth it? Car has 160,xxx on the orignal motor. Car is bone stock with no modes. Would you buy it this way, for that amount? I know it can be brought back to life again. I'am willing to do the work but just don't know about my know how!? I've done a JDM swap on my FX and from help from 4age site was able to get the TPS I needed and set it, to where it now is running fine. Had to figure out how to do away with the EGR valve system and conect the extra vacume lines up. It now runs great and screams with speed. So I have faith in getting the alltrac to run again, and I know it depends on what I think the value of it is! I just want all your oppions on what you think the value of the car would be in the state it's in. Would it be worth that much for you to buy it?

buffalohunter7321
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Just got off the phone with the owener and asked him if the car ran ok befor the new ECU install. He said it ran very good and was driving it daily. Than one day went out to go some where and it started doing the spitten and sputering. His mechanic told him it needed a new ECU because it was throwing a bunch of codes. But after the install, nothing had changed.

Shadowlife25
02-02-2009, 03:34 AM
his mechanic is an idiot. Pull codes, see what they are, then go from there. That should have been the initial starting point.

CriScO
02-02-2009, 04:02 AM
I'd go for it if I had the cash/somewhere to put a fourth one. :) I say do it.

MrWOT
02-02-2009, 07:10 AM
If he'd take an 87 n/a supra with faded paint/toasted clearcoat I'd do it. $1000 is a steal.

I could limp it back :D

buffalohunter7321
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, I'am going this Wed. or Thur. to look at it. At least hear it run to make sure there is no knock in the engine. Maybe even try to just let it idle around in 1st. gear and maybe 2nd. to see if there is any problems with the tranny and clutch. After I get it I'll start doing all you have suggested. I'll keep you informed...buffalohunter7321

MrWOT
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd check fuel pressure/flow, and the entire inlet throttle body-air filter(top and bottom for cracks), all vac/pressure lines. Then clean and lube the afm, carefully.

Shadowlife25
02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
^^ Always a good starting point. Especially when you are at all unsure of the history.
Tune-up is a good idea as well. Cap/rotor/wires/plugs... the usual. :)

buffalohunter7321
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
If the car is what he says it is, than I'll probly be the new owener of it soon. Than I can do and check every thing you all have suggested.

buffalohunter7321
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey Bro's went to see the alltrac and got the truth about it. The car starts but only runs about 5 to 10 sec. befor it just dies. It starts right back up but again dies after just running about the same amount of time. There is no down pipe on it to connect to the exhaust and I did notice a vacume line missing from on the tvis where the throttle cable connects to the tvis. It's the one on the bottem where the T. cable is connected on passinger side or front side of motor where timing belt is. There is no noticable knock in the motor but was not able to get it to run long enough to test drive it. I did notice that after the car would start and run that if you retried rite awayto start it back up it would take it's time to start. And when it did start, it would not run but just a couple of seconds. If you let it set for awhile, about 20 seconds, it would start rite up, but only run for 5 to 10 second's. When it was running he would let the clutch peddle out and it would die rite off, but also would try to move alittle! Kinda like the clutch might be wore out, or slave cyclender could be low on fluid or maybe a bad clutch. Anys the body is perfect as far as i could see. No dents or rust. Could not get under it to look for rust there. All class is good, interior is good, driverside seat has no rips or tears but it does have wear signs. Windows are tented, hatch shocks hold real good, but head lights are stuck in up right possition. We agreed on a price of a 1000.00 for the car and as soon as he gets the tittle streight, It's mine. The paint still has a nice shine except where the clear coat is peeled. Also it has a new st185 turbo on it. So what do you all think? Is it worth that much or should I just back out of the deal?

Trance4c
02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
For 1000.00.. thats a deal if the body is in that good a' shape!

Either way, an alltrac for 1000 is a deal.

From the sound of it though, sounds like it could be the AFM is not giving a signal to the ECU to fuel correctly. This is what happens when the AFM is unplugged.

Though its really hard to say, it sounds like with the hose issue, downpipe removed, etc.. there could be a lot going on in that engine bay.

buffalohunter7321
02-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks Trance4c. Wont know how much is going on till I get it to Ohio and start working on it.

Shadowlife25
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
It's a good price, Clayton is right. :)

You should basically plan on doing at least a clutch on it though.
(This is after the troubleshooting of the other stuff)

buffalohunter7321
02-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Yes I planned on doing a clutch job with presure plate, throw out bearing. The works. Probly infest another 1000.00 to get it perfect again

Shadowlife25
02-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Plan on 2k and you should come out under budget.

buffalohunter7321
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok. So 3000.00 for a perfect 88 alltrac isn't bad.

93formula
02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
good find, i know on fmic/smic setups a boost leak can cause some of the symptoms you mentioned, but im guessing with the celica tmic setup its not that much of an issue due to the minimal piping. i was gonna throw it out there but it seems there are other problems at hand. keep us posted on the repairs you make and hopefully the cures to the problems.

buffalohunter7321
02-10-2009, 01:49 AM
You bet, just as soon as it's mine. There is still a chance for snow here in Ohio and don't want to drive it when there is salt being used on our roads. Want to get it all treated befor I drive it in the snow. Probly next winter. My little FX-16 handles the snow alright, just have to watch tail wip around corners. Kinda like dirfting, but with fwd.LOL

buffalohunter7321
03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Well it looks like I'am going to be the new owener of that 88 alltrac. Picking it up on the 13th. Will soon be needing help on getting it to run.

buffalohunter7321
03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Ps. Can anyone tell me how to pull up old treads on this site? I'am trying to retrieve a tread on towing a alltrac.

Naemion
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Put it in first gear and pull the brake lever up as far as it'll go. Then all you have to do is tie some chains to the exhaust muffler and you're good! (j/k)

RedRkt01
03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Well it looks like I'am going to be the new owener of that 88 alltrac. Picking it up on the 13th. Will soon be needing help on getting it to run.

Congrats dude! I'm glad to know someone else has joined the ranks of the 4th Gen brethren. Cheers!

buffalohunter7321
03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Alltrac is home. It seemed like everything was fighting me to get it. Frist I went to get a two wheel dolly to tow it with and U-haul said my truck was too lite. So I went and borrowed my pastor's 97 F-150, but the bumper was bent, so they turned me down again. Finaly borrowed my church'es 98 F-250 van, and they finally rented me the two wheel dolly. Than I seen there car transporter and asked what that rented it for?! It was only 10.00 more than the two wheeler. So I rented it instead. Now the good news. This car is not rust free. Yeah I know, how is that good news. Well I crawed under it and it has some surface rust underneath at different places. But nothing that can't be taken care of with a wire brush and some por-15. The sun roof is rusted as they all do but not that bad. Just a notch up from surface rust. The worst rust is on the rear left wheel well on the front part. It is bubble rust about the size of 3"X6". One spot on the hood the size of a dime where it looks like some one lowered the hood down on something pointed. The paint is poped off and bare matel is surface rusting. The clear coat is a mess on the drivers side on the front finder and D. door. Also on the hood and left front finder. Also on the driver side, under where the door closes, the Fiber glass is all scratched up and weak and wore thin from something rubbing on it. The Kid who use to own it said the mechanic probly done it getting it out from behind his shop. Now for the good news, I told him it wasn't a rust free car like he said it was and that I didn't want it and was about to leave when he asked if I would buy it for less? I asked him how much less? He than offered it to me for 500.00 plus the car he wanted me to bring with me. That was a 97 ford aspire with a bad miss in the motor. Only had a 100.00 in it and 10.50 for thirty tags. I think that comes too, 610.50. Now that is good news but the real gooooood news is it is MINE. Will soon be needing help on her, I'll be in touch. buffalohunter7321

alltracman78
03-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Congrats :)

Don't ever tow with just a 2 wheel dolly, you can damage the drivetrain or possibly knock it off the dolly.

I needs to be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Shadowlife25
03-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Congrats man. It's about time you got her home. :)

buffalohunter7321
03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok started going over the car today. From visual inspection I found a wire broke loose on a little black box on the driver side wheel tower close to the afm. Has two wires comming out the top and more wires out the bottem. One of the wires out the top is broken loose. This box is about 1"x1"x1/4". Anybody know what that is? Next, installed afm hose all the way on and tightened clamp up. Found a 1/2" hose capped off with a bolt in it. Comming from a vacume valve under neath the exhaust manifold and under the turbo. the capped hose runs back toward the block. Found a vacume hose connection just under where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body with no vacume line on it. Did not find any loose vacume line though. Pulled plugs and #1&2 where failed bad and #3&4 had black carbon or soot on them. Car tryies to start but just runs about 2 seconds at a time. When I went to get the car it did start and run about 5 to 10 min. with me haveing the peddle floored untill the turbo would spool up and I would than let off the gas and it would start to die. Plus had no power either. So if any one can help, Please jump right in with orders and I'll do my best to get it done.

Corey Darling
03-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Pictures of the wires, vac lines?

buffalohunter7321
03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Got some pics on photobucket so how do I get them on this site?

Corey Darling
03-20-2009, 12:02 AM
make a post using the "go advanced button"

Along the top should be a little button for inserting photos.

Click it, and copy and past in the address of your photos.

buffalohunter7321
03-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Ok we tried to put the photo's on hear but apperently there to big to post on hear. we have them over on Alltrac.net under the same tittle [alltrac spuddering] in the general maintance section. maybe you can go over there and check them out there. Thanks buffalohunter7321

MrWOT
03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't ever tow with just a 2 wheel dolly, you can damage the drivetrain or possibly knock it off the dolly.

I needs to be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground.

You know, it never occured to me the few times I had to tow my 165, but doesn't the tranny have a lever to disengage the rear drive?

buffalohunter7321
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
I have no glue if the tranny has that lever or not. But would love too know if it does! And where it is exactly located.

Shadowlife25
01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Jack, I will contact you this weekend.

We need to make arrangements.

I am hoping for sooner than later, as I may not any longer have a car to get out there.

God bless.

- Mario

4thgenceli
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Jack, I will contact you this weekend.

We need to make arrangements.

I am hoping for sooner than later, as I may not any longer have a car to get out there.

God bless.

- Mario
Picking up another alltrac eh Mario?

And yes, you should never tow a AWD vehicle with rear wheels on the ground. You'd need to disengage the rear driveshaft, or as Mario said a car dolly.

Shadowlife25
01-07-2010, 10:12 PM
No, I'm going to fix his. :)

4thgenceli
01-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Then mine?

Shadowlife25
01-08-2010, 03:09 AM
If you're going to pay me as well, then sure. ;)

buffalohunter7321
01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
All right. Call or email? Can hardly wait. I've owened this car for almost a year now and have yet been able to drive it. My wife mentioned to me just last week if it was running yet because we where getting 5" of snow. I told her no, but can see I'll have to get her to trade her 07 corolla in for a suby with awd. There's no way I'am driving my All-trac on salty roads. Woman go figure.

Shadowlife25
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Haha, I can totally picture that. "Just take the AllTrac" ..."Woman are you INSANE?!" lol

Shadowlife25
01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I'll give a call on Monday Jack. As per usual I work through the weekend.

- Mario

buffalohunter7321
01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Sounds good. I have my two grandsons this weekend, they are age 7 & 5, but love to play the ATV play station ll game along with the Dangerest Hunt of 2009. They set in front of that setall day and Race and Hunt. Monday is good. Talk to you than. Jack