PDA

View Full Version : You guys might hate me...

celicaGT90_05
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
I was just at a local junk yard seeing what they had in this convertible they had, when I discovered sys 10 door panels. Of course, I was happy, and also that they were in good condition.

So ok yes I have sys 10 panels now, but thats not why you guys might hate me. I also got the speaker housings with blown speakers which I have a spare set, all for $20....what a steal. No pics as of yet, but I am more than happy!

85gtsblackman
01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
how was the top where the back window is?

celicaGT90_05
01-31-2009, 08:02 PM
besides what was covered in snow, the top appeared to be in pretty good shape. I looked at it from the inside, the back window was not torn and didnt notice any tears in the rest of it. I might be going back out there for a couple other things, I can double check if you want

Murgatroy
01-31-2009, 08:03 PM
That is what they would cost from a my local yard. All trim pieces are $5. $20 might have been pushing it.

Good deal regardless.

cms-gt4
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
I wish I could find a vert locally in a junk yard...

METDeath
01-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Do the vert doors say System 10 or something else?

celica9303
01-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Mine says "celica convertible" where it should say system 10.

Was the seals on the top good? If so ill take all of them and the one goes around the a pillars and windshield. Let me know

Ryan
01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Lucky bastard.

METDeath
02-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Ah, well the ones on the door panels I got say "Super Live Sound System" on them :3

celi703
02-01-2009, 02:04 AM
mines say the same thing on the covers as well

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 04:43 AM
That is what they would cost from a my local yard. All trim pieces are $5. $20 might have been pushing it.

Good deal regardless.

Really? They'd consider door panels as trim? I wouldnt but I guess thats one mans opinion haha I'd imagine it'd equal out to about $20 with panels and speaker housings, the problem is locating some there

I wish I could find a vert locally in a junk yard...

Come here haha the car still has quite a few nice parts, yard is pretty cheap on most things.

Mine says "celica convertible" where it should say system 10.

Was the seals on the top good? If so ill take all of them and the one goes around the a pillars and windshield. Let me know

These ones I have say the same, I also know of ones that say "celica system 10" and then list specs about the speakers

As far as the seals go, I think you need to be more specific, do you need a new rubber seal around the door frame? As for windshield they are usually cut out windshields, will probably need to have someone redo it. The yard I got this stuff from installed my new windshield for $50

Ah, well the ones on the door panels I got say "Super Live Sound System" on them :3

Really? That's probably what I'd want to have, its more generic, and with my system clearly not being a true system 10 I'd want something a little more generic

I would also consider trading the convertible inserts for different ones...if anyones interested

85gtsblackman
02-01-2009, 05:58 AM
u didnt ansewr me,ass

92VertGT
02-01-2009, 06:02 AM
I was just at a local junk yard seeing what they had in this convertible they had, when I discovered sys 10 door panels. Of course, I was happy, and also that they were in good condition.

So ok yes I have sys 10 panels now, but thats not why you guys might hate me. I also got the speaker housings with blown speakers which I have a spare set, all for $20....what a steal. No pics as of yet, but I am more than happy!

I got the same shit WITH my car when I bought it. Including the blown factory speakers :D :hehe:

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 06:13 AM
u didnt ansewr me,ass

look right under your first post joe :duh:

I got the same shit WITH my car when I bought it. Including the blown factory speakers :D :hehe:

lol yeah but thats typical with factory speakers, especially with that age. I have some 6th gen woofers, they'll do til I can afford to upgrade

92VertGT
02-01-2009, 06:26 AM
lol yeah but thats typical with factory speakers, especially with that age. I have some 6th gen woofers, they'll do til I can afford to upgrade

Yup that is true. All 6 of my speakers' rubber surround was completely missing when I replaced them lol

Naemion
02-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Man I feel lucky....all my speakers work just fine and they are all stock...except the two 12"ers in the back that I put in.

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 06:48 AM
haha my stockers all were in pretty good shape, I just decided to upgrade. The woofers in the speaker housings were completely missing the surround...which would be nice if it was rubber, that would be more effective rather than the cheap foam crap they use with paper cones...its no wonder they dont last

85gtsblackman
02-01-2009, 08:56 AM
would u be able to get the top 4 me, if not i understand

celica9303
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I I need the rubber seals ths seal the windows to the top when the top is up and windows rolled up. Th a-pillar seal is one big piece that seals the front edge of the wndows and across the top of the Windshield frame.

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmm I can look, but not sure if it would make a difference with Joe interested in the top. And like I said, getting a seal for a windshield would be a pain, most windshields are cut out of place anyway. Have you called to see how much fixing your seal would cost?

Joe I'll give them a call tomorrow and see how much it would cost, then see if its worth while to you. I'd imagine shipping would also be quite steep

Lonestag
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey man, where is that junk yard? Ohio is fairly close to me and there arn't many decent pull-a-part places around here, and none of them have celies right now.

Is the block still in the one where you were?

celica9303
02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't need he actuall windshield seal the windshield is fine. The rubber part around where the top and windows seal is what I need. The a-pillar seals are one big rubber seal. And cr already check for new seal prices and ya screw that only place I can get em is the dealer. And the big one is way way too much to buy new

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey man, where is that junk yard? Ohio is fairly close to me and there arn't many decent pull-a-part places around here, and none of them have celies right now.

Is the block still in the one where you were?

Im in Chillicothe, the yard is about 10-15 minutes south toward Waverly. It does still have the block, but they have written that it has a bad motor, no idea what was wrong.

I don't need he actuall windshield seal the windshield is fine. The rubber part around where the top and windows seal is what I need. The a-pillar seals are one big rubber seal. And cr already check for new seal prices and ya screw that only place I can get em is the dealer. And the big one is way way too much to buy new

Ohh I got ya, sorry I mistook what you said haha seals for your top basically, right? I'll see what I can do, I'm sure I could get those for free. The top is up on the car, would be difficult to get the one near the windshield til its removed

gerby77
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Damn you lucky bastard ;-)

celicaGT90_05
02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Alright guys I installed the panels and speakers, used all the factory connections and wired in some difference speakers. No pics yet, havent gotten around to it but will tomorrow, but I have a question.

I tested to see if the speakers were working, and neither one has sound coming from them. I made sure they were connected, so is there something I need in order to get them to work? Such as a fuse or something? I am planning to upgrade everything, but for now I want to run them like a factory set up. Could be that the speakers are faulty, but I'm not sure. Before I go and run tests just wanted to know if I was missing something

85gtsblackman
02-02-2009, 04:58 AM
they system 10/vert harness is alot differnt from yours, plus the system 10 had a amp as well your gonna need a 6 ch amp or a splitter or splice the door speakers in with your front dash speakers

celicaGT90_05
02-02-2009, 05:09 AM
ahh got it, I was lookin at the diagram wrong. Hmm me thinks the amp I got off Ryan will be better suited in the celica...

anyway thanks, I'll get em goin soon enough, and will be calling about prices if I remember to lol

85gtsblackman
02-02-2009, 05:19 AM
if it were me id put shallow depth 8s in the doors and use a 2ch amp to push em that way you have trunk space and you still have subs

BTW : when you go back to the boneyard can you see if you can find a 93-97 rolla with a tach cluster

celicaGT90_05
02-02-2009, 06:18 AM
yeah I have been thinkin about doin something like that if I can meet the depth specs properly without modifying the speaker housings. I'd like to keep those as original as possible.

I do want to keep my 12 inch as part of my system, but it also is not in the car all too much because I'm not driving very much currently and I have it set up for easy removal for safety reasons, and that also means I dont need to worry about space. But when its not in, some good solid bass would be nice.

We'll see what I come up with, still going to be a while before I go aftermarket

92VertGT
02-02-2009, 06:22 AM
if it were me id put shallow depth 8s in the doors and use a 2ch amp to push em that way you have trunk space and you still have subs

BTW : when you go back to the boneyard can you see if you can find a 93-97 rolla with a tach cluster

Yea I 6ch isn't really necessary unless he has a HU that doesn't have a built-in 4ch amplifier.

85gtsblackman
02-02-2009, 06:29 AM
i ment if he wanted to amp all his speakers

ive amped my 4 speakers and they sound omg better and cleaner over the high end jvc i have in there now

92VertGT
02-02-2009, 06:35 AM
i ment if he wanted to amp all his speakers

ive amped my 4 speakers and they sound omg better and cleaner over the high end jvc i have in there now

Yea I know, I was just lettin him know it wasn't required in case he realize that.

celicaGT90_05
02-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey guys are there wires for those speakers that go near the head unit? I'd like to splice them in near it so that when I run an amp, I dont have to run wire to the doors, that tends to get messy. Any locations would be great

Oh and yes I'll see what I can locate with the gauge cluster

METDeath
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Kicker SSMB8's work with little modification to the housing (have to cut a bit). Mario has a thread on on how to run the door speakers to a separate amp. You could run a 5 channel amp for them, depends on your head unit though.

I plan to run an Alpine PDX 5.1 to power my car since I won't have any extra speakers in the back.

celicaGT90_05
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
thanks for the tip, I am a big kicker fan so was looking at doing kicker, couldnt remember what the speakers wered called so thanks :bigthumbu
Finally got some pics:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/My%20Celica/000_0483.jpg

Yes, still have a maroon stearing wheel *sigh*

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/My%20Celica/000_0482.jpg

they are just dirty, otherwise they are mint besides the drivers side having a small tear between the very back mounting screws, not a big deal. While on the topic of them being dirty, whats a good cleaner to use on vynil?

Also, I managed to hook the speakers up today, and made a couple discoveries in the process. I will do a write up about that in just a bit

I called about those prices guys but they never called back, I will give them another call tomorrow.

METDeath
02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
You're putting all the available GTS parts on your car... aren't you?

Stealing my idea!

92VertGT
02-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Armor All.

:D

celicaGT90_05
02-03-2009, 02:45 AM
^ was thinking that after I posted, and I might actually have some that I forgot about!

You're putting all the available GTS parts on your car... aren't you?

Stealing my idea!

haha wasnt my original intention, but when 5gen91st parted out his GTS I wanted to snag the interior. Since then grew aware of all the nice GT-S features and a lot of them will end up on my car. Of course, I always wanted system 10 components since I heard about them :bigthumbu I also have the GTS cloth inserts I will be sticking onto these panels at some point

when I went to pick up the interior I was also unaware of the rear disc, he said if he realized I needed it he would have gave it to me :( too late now...

METDeath
02-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Yeah... I'm up to GTS seats, GTS cluster, Alltrac/gts bumper, have the Super Live door panels (waiting on speakers, amp, and time to install)...

I probably should try to find GTS door cloth pieces... since I have the JDM pattern on the doors at the moment.

Now I just need to find a Camry badge to steal the "C" off of and make mine a "GTC" trim level!

celicaGT90_05
02-03-2009, 04:13 AM
currently Im up to GTS seats, cluster, door cloth (not a biggy but still lol), sys 10 door panels with speakers and have the rear tweeters. I believe the last thing I need are the rear disc brakes which will come a ways down the road