PDA

View Full Version : 90 Celica GT help

TheCosmikshame
01-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I'm new to this site and I just bought a used 1990 celica gt.
don't know much at all about toyota's, and I'm not too experienced with modding cars but I work as a mechanic and I am very interested, was just wondering if you guys could help me out on some specs and easy ways to give it some more power.

It has the 2.2l engine in it which I believe is the 3sFE ? I want to put some money into it, nothing too much, just enough to make it noticably faster than it is, and give me something to do. I was thinking of
intake (short ram or DIY cold air)
header
high-flow cat
2,5" pipe all the way back

just wanted on some opinions on some cheap and easy ways to do it, and if its worth it, the car has 177,000 miles on it but it runs great, engine hasnt given me, or the old owner any problems.

thanks

Freshnicity
01-29-2009, 08:42 PM
You have a 2.2L 5SFE motor.

All the mods you listed will you get a little more power, nothing crazy though, noticeable, meh yeah probably.

You can also look into forced induction, and fabbing a 5SFTE, which is the motor you have now, just turbo'd. Wouldnt recommend it on THAT motor in your car, because its a REV1, which means no knock sensor. But another 5SFE from a later year, like 94+ would be good, since they are REV2 i believe.

But if you arnt looking for forced induction, and just want some decent/low cost mods, you got it all covered.

Maybe look into more aggressive cams, or getting yours grind.

Hope that helps, welcome to ctech

burnyd
01-29-2009, 08:55 PM
unfortunately theres not much you can do with cheep power, just intake header, exhaust really... you can make decent power off of a 5sfte turbo setup might want to look that up in the forced induction forums... 412 are you from pgh?

METDeath
01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
You could also look into handling improvements, go faster around the corners and what not.

If you want straight line power, intake (custom CAI), header, 2.25" exhaust (larger isn't really needed on the 5S-fe), and a 50 wet shot of spray (in second gear or higher)

TheCosmikshame
01-29-2009, 09:10 PM
thanks for the help guys, and ya i know not to put anythign crazy into it casue of all the miles, the body is good tho, and the whole car is pretty clean, it had a nice paint but the kid who had it his friend spun into him, so the fender and right door dont match. Burnyd, ya Im in pittsburgh. West Mifflin to be exsact

TheCosmikshame
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
ya, becasue of its condition and what i got it for im thinking down the road theres a chance i can drop a new engine into it, most likely forced induction, but I'm not gonna spend the money on spray now, I don't know anything about it and I don't plan on touching anything i don't know about. what would the round about prices be for the ups i want, I was thinking
header 50-100?
intake (short ram - 30)(DIY CAI 30-50?)(name brand cai 200ish?)
high flow cat??
2.5" pipes??

Freshnicity
01-29-2009, 09:19 PM
ya, becasue of its condition and what i got it for im thinking down the road theres a chance i can drop a new engine into it, most likely forced induction, but I'm not gonna spend the money on spray now, I don't know anything about it and I don't plan on touching anything i don't know about. what would the round about prices be for the ups i want, I was thinking
header 50-100?
intake (short ram - 30)(DIY CAI 30-50?)(name brand cai 200ish?)
high flow cat??
2.5" pipes??

First of all, you can fab up your own CAI, which i would recommend.

Second, header i would say $100-300 (yeah its broad, thats my point)

High Flow cat, meh do you have a decent muffler shop? im sure you can get a good deal on one, im getting mine for about $180

as for forced induction swap, i would go with the 5SFTE, theres guys/girls on here making good power with that set up

burnyd
01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
you honestly want to lookinto a 5sfte setup... its basicly taking parts from a 3sgte and putting it on your car...

All you really need is a ct26 turbo, a 3sgte manifold, 3sgte oil pan , Intercooler piping and enough fuel which isnt much... you could prolly get this setup for under 800 done here... Fuck I will sell you a 3sgte exhaust manifold and oil pan for 30 bux!

Cavanagh
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Or all you need is my 5SFTE Kit :)

TheCosmikshame
01-30-2009, 05:03 AM
lol as much as i would like to drop a new engine into it first i got to pay my bills, and finish the savings for my vaca in june, should be getting a 3rd job next week so after that money wont be that big a deal. Freshnicity, thats what i meant by DIY do it yourself, i saw the thread for it on here and definately will look into it, also I work at a shop and am about to work at another, plus I have many friend who are connected with hook-ups and such, this week im having 2 struts, a control arm, sway bar bushing, brake light, put in and tightening my e-brake cables, all parts and installation will run me a total of $170. i would do most myself but i really dont have the time right now. so i can def get a deal on a cat, i just got no idea what they normally run, i never looked into it casue i didnt have a car. and i would def be interested in the swap but the car needs some work, first i need to make sure the frame and all main components are good to go and i'd like to fix the truck, and the fender / hood gap. the new fender isnt sitting fluch after it was hit.

celica91gts
01-30-2009, 05:18 AM
i believe rev 2 5sfe began 92 and up. and in all honesty no mods for n/a cars do a real noticable gain of power. if you want real noticeable power like everyone suggested it's either boosting it, swaping it, or spraying on it. cavy has his 5sfte kit for sale, and i have a nitrious dry kit for sale =) might i add dirt cheap?

TheCosmikshame
01-30-2009, 05:47 AM
I don't know anything other than what I've been told, I've been told throwing a turbo on a car usually don't workout unless you spend tons of time / money tuning it or the engine was made for a turbo, and that spray just isnt good for an engine. now I don't believe that, but I'm not just gonna put it passed myself either, thanks for the help tho guys, thats why i cam in here. so will only 90' parts fit on my car or could i say drop a 94 5sfte under my hood and run an intercooler. or where are good places t get good cosmetic parts, i really want blacked out tail lights but cant find anythign anywhere