PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy cereal?

grayscale
01-29-2009, 12:17 AM
:wtf:
MR2 for sale (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=240628204&dealer_id=62211441&car_year=1991&rdm=1233188071793&model=MR2&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1990&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=86664&showZipError=n&make=TOYOTA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=30286&advanced=&end_year=1995&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=91&standard=false)

Murgatroy
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Being in the market for one right now, that isn't too far out of the ballpark for an MR2T. :(

Idiot Stick
01-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Location location LOCATION! These cars change values all over the damn place. I bought mine for 8600$ up here. It was for sale for 11900 but i knew the guy and he was having some financial issues (he bought it with a student loan...and needed to pay the school lol) so i paid what he bought it for and a little extra to cover the interest.

That being said, Mr2's generally sell for 10-12k for a turbo t-top. Then again there arent many out here. Less than 25 this side of quebec maybe?

Mr Celica
01-29-2009, 01:48 AM
its clean minus the hideous rims

grayscale
01-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Then why is it KBB says absolute perfect condition retail is only $4235? (other appraisal sites say even less.)

Murgatroy
01-29-2009, 02:00 AM
They don't take demand or collector status into account.

I have seen KBB way off many times before.

grayscale
01-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I just don't see that dropping another $6k into the price.

Murgatroy
01-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Not really. I agree to a point. But you have to remember, anything is only worth what someone will pay for it.

I wouldn't pay that much. But someone out there might.

IMO the price is only about $3k too much.

renegadex
01-29-2009, 02:23 AM
I think he would be better off asking around 6k to 8k for it.

METDeath
01-29-2009, 02:31 AM
That's a 7k car, if the mileage was under 60K... then it could maybe be a 10K car... if it had leather.

But it's single owner, always garaged... so it'll probably be in very good shape.

grayscale
01-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Agreed, it's a fine specimen of a well taken care of unmodified piece, but that only goes so far and he has no one thing that makes it stand out above the rest. If say his mileage were half of what it is, that would at least be something.

Murgatroy
01-29-2009, 02:50 AM
There is an 11k AW11 for $15k out there...

vip09
01-29-2009, 02:54 AM
There's a local guy selling a '91 n/a MR2 that has been swapped to 3S-GTE for $4,000. It looks pretty clean.

VikingJZ
01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I only pay KBB for a car, if they won't budge, its not meant to be. I don't care about "collector car status" on a car like an MR2. Rare, yes, but it isn't a Yenko Camaro or a 71 Cuda AAR, granted they're in way different ball parks, but still.

VikingJZ
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1014046222.html

KBB isn't even $3,000 in excellent condition.

I'd give him $3,500 MAX for it.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1008955970.html

This one has some issues, however, with the rims and the fact that it looks pristine, I'd offer $3,500 and work up a little.

I don't know. The only car worth paying more than KBB to me is a MKIV turbo.

RedRkt01
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
As stated above, KBB doesn't take collector car status into account. This is simple economics. Supply and demand. MR2s are friggin' coveted beyond belief. the demand is out there and it drives prices up. N/A MR2s are really the only cheap ones out there.....those tend to be overpriced as their owners try to ride the turbo's coattails. I'd say an average price for one of these suckers is around $9K.

You guys would be surprised what you you'll find if you start shopping for them.

VikingJZ
01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
As stated above, KBB doesn't take collector car status into account. This is simple economics. Supply and demand. MR2s are friggin' coveted beyond belief. the demand is out there and it drives prices up. N/A MR2s are really the only cheap ones out there.....those tend to be overpriced as their owners try to ride the turbo's coattails. I'd say an average price for one of these suckers is around $9K.

You guys would be surprised what you you'll find if you start shopping for them.

I understand that for the car and its rarity, but like Murg said, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and I'm not willing to pay double for what a car is worth, as sometimes you can find them for KBB.

The SC's are getting that way amongst SC hunters.

To the normal person, I could sell my SC for $3,500-$4,000.

On ClubLexus, Lexus Owners' Club, or ClubNA-T; mine would go easily for $5,000, or more if I fixed the fender and threw a 97+ bumper on the front.

That's why some guys are selling their black on black 98-00 SC300's for $19k to $22k....and getting that much for it. The 300's demand a higher price because they did not make as many of them, since they are trying to project a higher image, and project to owners that you should want the very best.

In 1992, there were about than 1,000 SC300's imported into the States. 250 were Jade Pearl metallic (hunter green), 250 in Onyx Black, 200 in Diamond Pearl White, 150 in Wine Red (burgundy), and 150 in a grayish color. That's all estimated, no one has really compiled numbers.

The 300 is also more desirable obviously for tuning reasons, but for gas mileage. When essentially stock, and babied, with a full exhaust, intake, thicker plug wires, and top shelf plugs, people have reported getting around 30MPG on the highway. I get in between 22-25 combined, but my vac lines aren't in the right spots, throttle cables are kind of maladjusted, and I'm running shitty plug wires, normal plugs (calls for AT LEAST platinum's) and non OEM cap and rotor. So, I can do better, but its not bad for right now.

RedRkt01
01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
I understand that for the car and its rarity, but like Murg said, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and I'm not willing to pay double for what a car is worth, as sometimes you can find them for KBB.

Hey, I totally here ya. And murg is right. I just paid $200 for some JDM 4th Gen corners and some other goodies from the UK....not everyone will do that.

Though the car is not for you, I am pretty much in agreeance with you and Murg. My point is simply that these cars are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, as stated. It's just that in my opinion MOST people ARE willing to pay that much for an MR2. Hence the demand pushing the price. So I think you and I are saying the same thing, but from different ends of the spectrum.

burnyd
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
I cannot get over how much MKIIS are going for this is getting retarded, and to take into account this is winter time imagine what will happen in the summer time when they are big sellers!

I ran into this guy at a gas station...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1007519825.html

what an idiot, that car should not go for more than 2k at most and at that point who knows what it would cost to get that car to be respectable again.....

Luni
01-31-2009, 12:52 AM
Bluebook goes out the door when dealing with cars like MR2s and Alltracs.

That car is worth 7500 at best, I wouldnt pay more than 6 for it though.

However, just cause KBB says x doesnt make it true. You just cant go off book values for these things. Theyve never held true, and they still dont.

burnyd
01-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Bluebook goes out the door when dealing with cars like MR2s and Alltracs.

That car is worth 7500 at best, I wouldnt pay more than 6 for it though.

However, just cause KBB says x doesnt make it true. You just cant go off book values for these things. Theyve never held true, and they still dont.

pretty much, kbb will make a difference for your newer cars but cars with significance that are valued by collectors will always go for more money than a price on some website.....

VikingJZ
01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
KBB only goes out the door for those willing to pony up the price for it. I am not. If someone says no to my Book offer, then fuck them.

It all depends on your car tastes. I wouldn't pay the CL price for an SC, when I know if I wait long enough, I can have a mint newer SC for book price.

VikingJZ
01-31-2009, 05:16 AM
I cannot get over how much MKIIS are going for this is getting retarded, and to take into account this is winter time imagine what will happen in the summer time when they are big sellers!

I ran into this guy at a gas station...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1007519825.html

what an idiot, that car should not go for more than 2k at most and at that point who knows what it would cost to get that car to be respectable again.....

Unless a car on CraigsList is worth it, I won't even read what they post if they can't space things out to make it easier to see.

I would'nt even give him $2k for that thing. Hideous.