PDA

View Full Version : New to Celicas

Tihsho
01-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Hey peoples!

New to the Celicas, but not to the Toyota family. I recently acquired a 1991 Toyota Celica from a family member who was just going to junk it. The car has about 220k on its original engine which was the only fall back I have noticed. After reading a lot on these guys it seems the '91 did not come with ABS nor was it offered till '92 models. Is it possible to install it? ABS, to me at least, seems a lot easier in an "OH S***!" situation then pumping would.

Also, reading up on the mods a lot of people have switched out the block to other Toyota models as in the MR2. What other blocks would fit?

In the long run, if it's not already noticeable, I plan on making this a tuner/project car more then anything. So before looking for parts I'd like to have an idea of what my options are if I decide to switch out the block for example.

Just for the sake of browsing any links to reputable places to buy the following would be great:
~Performance Block Parts
~Bodykits/Wings

Thanks for reading, and hope to learn!

~Tihsho~

Shadowlife25
01-27-2009, 05:12 AM
1991 did have abs. it was an option on all 5th gens.

If you are looking into a swap, there are stickies here on the site, please use the search function, as the stickies will provide answers to questions you may not have thought of yet.

For performance related engine parts, we have vendors here on the site who are all reputable and are very helpful in answering questions as well.

As for " body kits and wings " you'll have to look elsewhere.

Welcome to Celicatech. :)

Tihsho
01-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Actually noticed your vendors section :D Glad I stumbled upon here. As for the search, I know it's there. Mainly was interested on opinionated views on whether to swap or not and if so to what.

ansteadallday
01-27-2009, 05:23 AM
swap a 3SGTE in it. if its a gt. if its an ST put a 3SGE in it.

Murgatroy
01-27-2009, 05:42 AM
swap a 3SGTE in it. if its a gt. if its an ST put a 3SGE in it.
The 3SGE in an ST still requires the same amount of work as a 3SGTE would.

If the car is an ST, any "A" series engine will bolt in. This includes the 4AGE, 5AFE, 4AFE (stock) as well as the 20v 4AGEs.

If the car is a GT or GT-S any "S" series engine will bolt in. This includes the 3SGE and 3SGTE. The 3SGTE is the turbo equipped engine that came in the Alltrac and MR2.

If the car is an Alltrac, thank your lucky stars and don't ever tell anyone. ;)

85gtsblackman
01-27-2009, 05:55 AM
if its an st build a 7age, which i may be doing if i sell the poobaru