PDA

View Full Version : Engine replacement problems

ddyke2000
01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
I have a 1990 Celica 1.6 and I bought a 91 engine 1.6. They swapped fine but I am stuck now because I have everything back in place and when I put the key in the ignition I have no power what so ever and the battery is fine. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

joe's gt
01-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Either a fuse, improper grounds, or don't have the ecu power wire on the right pin. Just to name a few.

Shadowlife25
01-26-2009, 07:23 AM
You must have left something disconnected. It's the only possible explanation, since everything between 90-91 on both the engine and wiring harness are identical.

Go double and triple check your work and then post back. ;)

Mister2T
01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
check your main fuses, they are big ones, if you pop of of those this will happen, could be a disconnected wire as well.

ddyke2000
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I put another ground from the frame to the firewall and still no power and fuses seem good. I am going to checke the ecu for voltage but I am still stuck, do I need more than one ground wire on the engine? Since it is automatic do I need to ground the transmission also?

Freshnicity
01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
just work it backwards, takes forever but it works.

start at the battery, if it has voltage, go from there.

Fuses(check em alllllllll)
wiring(check it all, one bad wire can cause serious headaches.)
etc

let us know what you find

joe's gt
01-28-2009, 04:46 AM
More than one ground? uhhh.... yeah. First off there should be a ground directly from your negative battery terminal to the body. There should be a tranny to body ground. There might be a ground on the intake manifold too. There is also one near the alternator. There should be a few grounds from the wiring harness to the body.

Grounds everywhere. But main ones are negative terminal to body, tranny to body, one from the wiring harness to the intake manifold I believe, and a few from the harness to the body.

ddyke2000
01-29-2009, 05:25 AM
I found the problem, I worked all night and found a positive wire that goes to the battery that I thought was a ground wire because it was black. Thanks for all your help. Now I need to set the timing but I dont have a timing light. Looks like I will have to do it by sound. Thanks again everyone.