PDA

View Full Version : is this a head gasket leak?

zmile06
01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a oil leak coming on the left side of the manifold, it appears to be leaking from the head gasket. I'm just wondering if there is a gasket around there it could be. And if it's leaking a quart or less a month from there is it a huge deal?

Oh and should i resurface the head when replacing the headgasket for sure?

hobbie2k
01-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Which manifold? Intake or Exhaust? It could just be a bad manifold gasket. Or maybe it's a bad valve cover gasket and the oil is just draining around the manifold... I'm not too familiar with those Toyota engines, but I would imagine if it were a head gasket, the oil leak would be lower, below the manifold.

What type of engine is it? A 5sfe? 4afe? 3sgte? 3sfe?

zmile06
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry for the late reply exhaust manifold. Directly to the top left of it dripping down. 4afe. All of the gaskets were replaced including the manifold gasket (manifold done 2 weeks ago). Only gasket i haven't replaced was the head gasket.

Has anyone replaced the headgasket on these things? how big of a pain is it?

hobbie2k
01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking it's the exhaust manifold gasket, because the head gasket would be BELOW the exhaust manifold, so if it were the head gasket, you would be leaking oil from right below the manifold.

It's fairly common for new gaskets to be damaged during shipping or installation, or maybe it's just a bad gasket. When did you notice it was leaking?

Are you losing any coolant, or seeing any coolant in the oil?

Doing a head gasket really isn't that difficult if you have the tools, the time, and a place to do it. You've already replaced all the other gaskets so you already know how to do most of the hard work, so it's just a matter of setting the crank and cams to TDC and pulling the head, which isn't too bad. Having a repair manual will help a lot with getting the proper bolt orders and torque settings.

If you do decide to replace the head gasket, be aware that it is common to get a bad gasket, or a bad seal, so you may have to replace it more than once, that's why I would recommend just trying the exhaust manifold one more time first. If you still want to do the head gasket, take this opportunity to get the head cleaned, checked for cracks and warping, and get the valve seals replaced. It might even be worth it to get some head mods done, since it's off anyway.

zmile06
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I thought the exhaust manifold gasket was just to keep the exhaust flow sealed? Would a bad exhaust manifold gasket really leak oil? I may be sounding like a noob, but i really though the only purpose of it was the flow of the exhaust.

zmile06
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
There is coolant leaking but thats from the rear and it's a pure coolant leak from the metal piping. I am leaking enough oil to be annoyed though.

andy
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
clean it off real good, go drive for a lil bit and reobserve.

hobbie2k
01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
To be honest, I'm not very familiar with these later Toyota I4s, but I do know that on some engines oil and coolant leaks can develop because of bad manifold gaskets. I'm just trying to find a simpler solution than a head gasket.