PDA

View Full Version : remote car start

Mister2T
01-25-2009, 04:14 AM
anyone know anything about them? my g/f has a 7th gen celica (automatic) and im thinking about buying her one and installing it.

Ryan
01-25-2009, 04:21 AM
I dont think they are too hard to put in, especially since its an auto..

They usually come with directions, and as long as you have some knowledge with wiring, you should be able to do it.

:)

goretro77
01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, since we're all in the Midwest its handy to have them during the cold and even hot months. They are very simple to put in. I have experience putting in Valiant and Code Alarm. Just know where the location of your ECU, you'll have to tap into the ECU for the engine tach signal. The directions are usually pretty good. Its an automatic so even simpler.

I would advise to find a remote where the remote keyfob has a little 'bump out' for the antennae. It makes a difference in terms of range. Thats where a lot of remote starters fail since the operator complains he winds up having to get close to the car to get a signal, defeats the whole purpose of remote start. Valiant has a model that has these 'bump outs'.

goretro77
01-25-2009, 07:10 PM
One more thing - (maybe this means more to parents than anyone else) one feature I NEVER thought of but is super handy is called 'pit stop mode'. When driving around running errands, when you stop the car you can press the keyfob button and pull the ignition key out. The engine will continue running for whatever length of time you configured - mine runs as long as 15 minutes. I keep it running with the heater on during these cold months. Come back with the kids and the car is still warm. Engine will cut out if someone applies the brakes so no risk of someone taking off with the car - unless the key is placed back in the ignition and switched to the 'on' position.
Grabbing my kids from the babysitter on a cold day is a little easier with this mode. I use it every work day.

Slider
01-26-2009, 04:10 AM
One more thing - (maybe this means more to parents than anyone else) one feature I NEVER thought of but is super handy is called 'pit stop mode'. When driving around running errands, when you stop the car you can press the keyfob button and pull the ignition key out. The engine will continue running for whatever length of time you configured - mine runs as long as 15 minutes. I keep it running with the heater on during these cold months. Come back with the kids and the car is still warm. Engine will cut out if someone applies the brakes so no risk of someone taking off with the car - unless the key is placed back in the ignition and switched to the 'on' position.
Grabbing my kids from the babysitter on a cold day is a little easier with this mode. I use it every work day.

Wow, very useful feature. I need one on my Celica, but only if I can rig up some sort of neutral safety switch though.

From what some people that have done them told me, it's not hard as long as you have basic wiring diagram knowledge. People's first attempts sometimes end up looking like hack jobs. That's why I would just go and get it done somewhere. You can get one installed for under $200. That's just my opinion though.

Mister2T
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
thanks for your input guys.

donteatbugs
01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
i have the dei valet 562t on both my cars. you tap the tach at the obd2 port. all the wires you need are in or close to the dash. get the wiring colors at 12volt.com. a wiring schematic helps too. solder your conections. it took me 4 hours but i was doing it at work and kept getting interupted. i did the door locks too. you dont need a hood pin switch either. good luck