PDA

View Full Version : Tail lights; its whats for dinner! *56k warn*

celicaGT90_05
01-24-2009, 12:14 AM
So I decided to cook up some tail lights today, if you ever wanted to see the inside of a 90-91 tail light, here you go

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/My%20Celica/000_0467.jpg

So why did I do this? Well I had a tail light with a busted front piece, and a good backing, just the opposite for my other tail light. So I heated them up, pried them apart, and stuck them back together. It took roughly an hour to perform, mostly because of fighting with the glue.

Heres the finished product

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/My%20Celica/000_0468.jpg

And here are the pieces that were messed up

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/rangerxlt91_05/My%20Celica/000_0469.jpg

Maybe I should do a write up? I unno

dups90gt
01-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Cool! always wanted to see the inside.

manu
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
coincidence...i ripped apart my tail-lights yesterday too...thinking of doing an led conversion...or something crazy like that...they're a bitch to rip apart though..and the plastic is so brittle you have to be carefully forceful...even so i had lots of tiny cracks appearing...i'm surprised yours is so clean...

UndaGrwnD
01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
hehe nice !

celicaGT90_05
01-25-2009, 12:09 AM
coincidence...i ripped apart my tail-lights yesterday too...thinking of doing an led conversion...or something crazy like that...they're a bitch to rip apart though..and the plastic is so brittle you have to be carefully forceful...even so i had lots of tiny cracks appearing...i'm surprised yours is so clean...

Really? Did you heat yours up much at all? Mine were borderline hot (not enough to mess up the plastic but enough to get the glue nice and gooey). It also allowed some give in the plastics which is why I had no cracks appear. The glue is extremely tough I found out, so much that I sat the bad pieces back together without pressing them together, half way cooled, and now they are really stuck together.

I did it in steps, heated it up, got them starting to come apart, heat them back up as they started cooling off, work them some more, did that until they finally just pulled apart.

Clear plastics are always more brittle, have to be more careful with them. BTW I am going to do an LED conversion with LED bulbs, could consider that instead

manu
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Well mine's been in the tropical sun and rain for 19 years, so maybe that's made them more brittle. I heated mine until the surrounding plastic started becoming too soft. But yeah, maybe I was too impatient (despite taking an hour to do it). Gonna smoke the lens now, so it shouldn't be too noticable. Still unsure about the led conversion, cuz it wont be led bulbs, but a custom led panel.

celicaGT90_05
01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
That may have, we dont get sun too bad around here. Could have just needed to heat them more than you did, but oh well. The one thing about smoking them that I could see being problematic is the paint getting into the cracks and making them stand out by being darker, but I dont know if that will be very noticeable. An LED panel? Hmm I wonder how that would work, I dont know if youd be able to notice it much though because of how the inner part of the clear plastic is gridded, but I certainly want to see it! I'm just taking the easy route haha

manu
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
i dont think the paint'll get in the cracks, cuz they're all on the inside of the lens...and i'm meaning to do just that...just so they're brighter...my brother did it for our jeep and it looks pretty cool...problem is he's the electronics expert of the family...i just break things...so we'll see how it goes...

celicaGT90_05
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
lol well good luck! Make sure you post pics when its done