PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Questions

StormyBklyn
01-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I am really starting to hate my Monza muffler. It has a nice deep growl below 3000 rpms, but above it has that annoying "Honda" rattle. Sounds like I'm dragging pots and pans behind me, and don't even get me started about when I get up above 5000 rpms. I don't even want to know how loud it will be in the car when it gets warmer and I take the top down.
If I have heard correctly in the past, the shape of the muffler has a lot to do with the sound, and the Monza is oval. I have a universal round muffler, and I was wondering, I know each car is different, but if I have the Monza cut off (and just leave the catback pipes) and have the round muffler welded on, would I get a deeper, less noisy and rattling sound? There's a place by me that will do it for ~$60.
This is what the car currently sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBbX-fJ6XM

MrWOT
01-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I lol'd at the sound.

Add resonator, that will get rid of the rasp, then put a real muffler on it :P

Internal baffling and material is what really matter.

balang_479
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
wow, does sound quite bad...

METDeath
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Also, you may want to use a real camera, I've noticed that regular digital cameras don't have a sensitive enough microphone (frequency range, not volume/range) to really capture exhaust sounds

StormyBklyn
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Also, you may want to use a real camera, I've noticed that regular digital cameras don't have a sensitive enough microphone (frequency range, not volume/range) to really capture exhaust sounds

Not to contradict, but what you hear is what I get. Believe it or not, that noise is dead on. It was a lot better when I first installed the catback. Now, it's just horrid!

I think I am going to put on the same muffler that I have on the All Trac. I LOVE the sound of the All Trac, and I know it's not the same engine, but it shouldn't sound TOO different. And it had to be an improvement over this. Nasty, just nasty. I am so glad I didn't pay full retail for the Monza, but $215 is still WAY too much for it. My advice, never ever buy Pacesetter. NEVER.

METDeath
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Ouch... well, I'd go with a different muffler then, I have a Flowmaster on mine, and everyone seems to love the sound of it.

StormyBklyn
01-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm going tomorrow to Meinikie. They're installing my RActive MT224, a resonator and my 2.25" high flow cat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solves that atrocious noise that's coming out of my car.
I've got the MT630 on the All Trac, and she sounds awesome. I also had the RActive MT225 installed on the old 92 GT and a MT220 installed on my old 90 GT. They're the reason I fell in love with RActive to begin with. For the money I spent on the Monza, I should have had a custom exhaust made, instead of letting the MT224 sit and collect dust. When I get it installed, I will take another video of the car and post it.
This is the MT224:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/3/1/9/ractivemt224.jpg

Murgatroy
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
All straight through mufflers are going to sound the same. Round, oval or full bodied muffler.

The only way to change the sound would be to add a resonator or get a full bodied 'pathed' muffler, as opposed to a straight through design.

You can try a Dynomax or Flowmaster full bodied muffler, many people prefer the sound of those over a cannister style.

grayscale
01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
All straight through mufflers are going to sound the same. Round, oval or full bodied muffler.

The only way to change the sound would be to add a resonator or get a full bodied 'pathed' muffler, as opposed to a straight through design.

You can try a Dynomax or Flowmaster full bodied muffler, many people prefer the sound of those over a cannister style.
Meh, the material used in the muffler to dampen the noise also has a great affect on the sound. I'm guessing pacesetter probably uses fiberglass or similar material thus the poor sound. Also, a lot of times the actual rattling noise can because by poor construction quality. Consider if you had an oval standard baffle design in which the baffles were made out of very thin metal like 24ga and were not attached very well all the way through, you could wind up with some nasty tones.

StormyBklyn
01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Woohoo! Had the RActive installed today. Listen to the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvyD95HcapY

And while driving (volume is a little low, but you can hear how nice it sounds around 4000rpms):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHarPi5Csws

And finally, from the engine bay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSu_Hlbalz0

grayscale
01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Much better, good work!
I like your dash lights too, where did you get them?

StormyBklyn
01-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Much better, good work!
I like your dash lights too, where did you get them?

Thanks. Got em off of ebay. Reverse indiglo white faces with tht GTS cluster, and a matching climate control panel.

Kastigir
01-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Doesn't sound bad, which is surprising. Ractives are typically pretty shit mufflers as well.

turbo90st
01-25-2009, 03:08 AM
I picked up a 3A Racing muffler from kragen's for my celica and it sounds GREAT!, very deep and throaty, really sounds like it has power. The cool thing was, was it was only $65 lol

Grot
01-25-2009, 03:47 AM
im diggin the gauges, i wants me a set now. and the car sounds much better.

StormyBklyn
01-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Doesn't sound bad, which is surprising. Ractives are typically pretty shit mufflers as well.

Really? I've had Ractives on all four of my Celicas, and I've loved the sound on every one of them. I've had the RActive on my All Trac for seven years now, and I have no complaints.

StormyBklyn
01-25-2009, 03:55 AM
im diggin the gauges, i wants me a set now. and the car sounds much better.

Thanks. $20 on ebay, and I found that if you leave all the bulbs in the cluster and turn the brightness all the way up, the needles still glow, so you don't have the problem a lot of people complain about. It was also a piece of cake to install. I just popped them in over the old faces. One tip, on a 5th gen (I'm not familiar with what a 4th gens cluster looks like), leave the black covers over the dummy lights and put the white ones over them, otherwise it looks like crap and the light shines through the whole panel.

Galcobar
01-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Give credit where credit is due for getting rid of the buzz and smoothing the tone of your exhaust: the resonator. Those little echo chambers make an incredible amount of difference in the sound of the car.

StormyBklyn
01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Give credit where credit is due for getting rid of the buzz and smoothing the tone of your exhaust: the resonator. Those little echo chambers make an incredible amount of difference in the sound of the car.

True, it helps, a lot I'm sure, but trust me, the Pacesetter muffler is a piece of crap. There's a rattle from inside the muffler even off the car.