PDA

View Full Version : Checking in

wagonis
01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Just joined this morning and thought I would introduce myself. Name is Nis and I just bought a 1990 ST 3 weeks ago. I actually bought her as a temp car because I live in Tampa but work in Chicago, so instead of renting a car every week I decided to buy a beater, drive her up to Chicago and drive her until I'm done with the contract. She has 221K on the dial and cost me $500...but surprised the hell out of me when she made the 1200 mile trip with 0 issues and 35.5 MPG, so now I may keep her after the contract. I also have a 1991 MR2 that I am addicted to (I'm on the mr2.com site) and I know how reliable Toyotas are, part of the reason I chose this car as the beater.

Anyway, decided to join this site so I can research her, get info and speak to fellow Celica owners. Speak to you all soon.

METDeath
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you got yourself a steal of a deal!

wagonis
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks METDeath. I didn't realize how good of a deal I got until I started driving her up north. I only had a day to test her before I started the 1200 mile trip. Now if I can only find some nice wheels...didn't realize she has a 4x100 pattern, I thought ALL 5th gen Celicas had 5x100.

extremeskillz
01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Good luck with it and welcome.

extremeskillz
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks METDeath. I didn't realize how good of a deal I got until I started driving her up north. I only had a day to test her before I started the 1200 mile trip. Now if I can only find some nice wheels...didn't realize she has a 4x100 pattern, I thought ALL 5th gen Celicas had 5x100.

Well no the lower base models did have 4x100 lug pattern and drum brakes.

wagonis
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Well no the lower base models did have 4x100 lug pattern and drum brakes.

Yeah, kinda realized it AFTER I bought her. Does any one know the stock offset of the wheels on the ST? I found a nice set of Rota Boost 16x7 with an offset of +48, but wanted to make sure they would fit before I got them. They are a steal at $420 WITH brand new Kumho AST 205/60/16 tires.

METDeath
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
The 90/91 STs had 4x100, however, if I remember correctly, the 92/93 had 5x100, not sure on the all disc brakes though, maybe Murg or one of our more ST aware members can chime in.

extremeskillz
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Met yea your correct the 92/93 ST did have 5x100. And no they only had drum brakes on those models.

tuner4life
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I Dont think the 5th gen st ever had rear discs. And Im pretty sure they only came on the GT in 1992-93

hobbie2k
01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Welcome.

I wouldn't bother with getting new wheels just yet. If it's a beater DD and you aren't even totally sure you're going to keep it (after your temporary work contract is over), I'd focus my efforts (and money) on making sure it is mechanically sound before I start fiddling with it's appearance.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, if you really need new wheels, than by all means...just be sure you consider the practical issues when making your decision. After all, the nicest wheels in the world won't help you one bit when you're stranded on the highway.

Sounds like you got an excellent deal, though.

hyoctane
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Another Florida guy! Glad to see you made your way to the site... Where in Bay area are you located?

wagonis
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
hobbie2k, you're probably right, and the only thing I need to do to her is a tune up since I think she needs it. If she sits more then a few hours and gets cold, she'll take a few cranks before she'll start, but once she starts and is warm theres no issue. So I figured since everything is okay, might as well make her look a little better. Also, I can't stand the 13" wheels/tires.

hyoctane, I live just north of the Bay up in New Port Richey. I'm a member of the tampabayracing forum, but I can't stand going there. Glad to see there's other from the area that are here.

Ryan
01-22-2009, 06:30 PM
If I were you, I would go through and do a thorough inspection and tune up since you are traveling such long distances.

Make sure you check the timing belt and make sure it is not cracked. Then do the basics like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.

Also, Welcome to the site man!

If you ever want to swing by this area on your way to or from Chicago, let me know!

wagonis
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
If I were you, I would go through and do a thorough inspection and tune up since you are traveling such long distances.

Make sure you check the timing belt and make sure it is not cracked. Then do the basics like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.

Also, Welcome to the site man!

If you ever want to swing by this area on your way to or from Chicago, let me know!

I bought the car from my ex-brother in law who owns a shop. He got the car from a customer of his who gave him the car as payment for work on his other car. So I got the last 4 years of records of what's been done to it. The timing belt was done, water pump, brakes all around and front suspension (shocks) and a ball joint, head job and radiator. The brakes/shocks were done less then 6 months ago, the head/rad was done over a year but less then 2, ball join...last week and timing belt/pump was when the head was done.

I only did the drive once, and only other time I will is when I go back to FL either in March or July. I driven through IN this past Monday on my way up here so I'll let you know when I make the trip back.

Ryan
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok sweet man. There are a few ctech members in this town.

me, vikingjz, tuner4life, and my dad(he owns a 5th gen gt that is the same color as your car).

We are about 20 minutes south of south bend.

wagonis
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
You guys hook up with any MR2 owners in the area?

Ryan
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I havent gotten on mr2oc really much at all...

I know of a few mr2's in the area, but I havent talked to any of them.

Are there a lot around here that you know of?

wagonis
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Not that I know of, I was just curious since I'm a member of the mr2.com site.

Ryan
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Ahh i gotcha. I know of this badass white one that rolls around Mishawaka quite a bit.