PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen build Research

Grot
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
im doing a little research on how to build my suspension.
DD comfort isnt a huge factor, and there is a possibility of Autox.

What would be the best (on a slight budget) springs and Shocks?

These (http://www.prostreetonline.com/a/toyota_intrax-lowering-springs.asp) are what im looking at.

Are they decent? is there something better in the same price range?

Also what is a good set of shocks to pair with them?

Konis are a little out of my budget at the moment.
What are some alternatives?

Also is a rear sway bar needed for a Coupe?
If so where can i locate one?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 02:27 AM
No, those Intrax springs are not priced well. Once again I'll shamelessly plug myself and say that you can't beat my prices on a 4th Gen. From me:

Eibach 1.0": $189.50
Suspension Techniques 1.4": $178.32
B&G 1.6":$152.10

I don't do Intrax because 1)they are overpriced, 2)they have a gay pricing structure for dealers, and 3)their units apparently are a 1.8" drop. I also know the reputations of the other manufacturers, which I'm sure most here would agree are decent.

I can set you up with KYB GR-2s on all four corners for $228.

Edit: forgot the swaybar info......18mm Whiteline unit for $136.08

At order we might be able to fudge with the number a little bit or work out free shipping or something. It depends on the order and the distributor.

Grot
01-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Thats a much mor reasonable price than the Konis you quoted me a while back.

Whats the Drop on the 3 sets of springs you listed?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Thats a much mor reasonable price than the Konis you quoted me a while back.

It's not reasonable compared to the Konis because you can't compare the two. The Konis are not a stocker replacement. The KYBs are; Hence cheapness. You either stay where you are in terms of performance or you move ahead. A while back you balked at the Konis so this time I offered the KYBs. But make no mistake; They ARE different animals altogether.

Grot
01-19-2009, 02:40 AM
i know what you mean... Trust me, i found that out with rebuilt engines.

Just 500 bucks for a set of shocks is a bit out of reach for right now.

But whats the drop rates on the 3 sets of springs you listed above?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 02:47 AM
^UP

I'd recommend the Eibachs with the Konis for sure, but I'm unfamiliar with how they would be with the GR-2s. You'd be the guinnea pig as far as I know. There are guys out there with that setup; I just don't know any of them of the top of my head.

Grot
01-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks man. i didnt see them.

The ST springs look good to me. those and a set of the KYBs should do me. i may look into the Sway bar if the install is fairly simple.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 02:54 AM
It is simple, but can be frustrating because of clearances and what not. You have to drop the gas tank just a little bit. There is a thread on the install of a ST rear bar on a 5th Gen around here somewhere. Read that and you'll understand what I'm saying.

Grot
01-19-2009, 02:56 AM
aight. like i said, im just researching it for now. will let you know when i decide something for sure.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 02:59 AM
You know where to find me.

88st165
01-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow I paid less than $200 for Intrax springs for my red 165 from summitracing but that was over 3 years ago.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 03:18 AM
There was a time when Intrax were the both the cheapest for the 4th Gen and the lowest drop. But that was when I started out 12 years ago. How do you like those? What is the rest of your suspension set up like?

88st165
01-19-2009, 03:45 AM
I think that the intrax are a great spring for street driving but a bit on the soft side for autox.

My current suspension setup:
-intrax springs
-KYB AGX's all corners (rear strut insert conversion)
-whiteline front strut bar
-whiteline rear strut bar
-whiteline rear adj sway
-speedsource custom adj endlinks
-whiteline/superpro full poly bushings kit (rear still needs to be installed)
-whiteline/superpro anit-lift/caster bushings

Im still trying to decide what my next setup will be. Its either ground control and koni setup or ksport/megan coilover setup. I know the gc/koni setup has been proven so Im just wainting on more reviews on how the ksports/megans do for autox and street driving. They would cost around the same amount but the advantage is the pillow ball mounts so Im still debating.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 03:50 AM
How do you like the anti-lift kit? I bought one for myself but I'm nowhere near building the ST165 as of yet. When I do I'll be sporting DMS coilovers for competing.

88st165
01-19-2009, 04:06 AM
I did notice an improvement in steering response and I assume its from the added caster. Also the "anti-lift" seems to work also since I have seen videos of my car launching at autox events with and without the bushings and with them the car seemed to stay more level.

Id love me some DMS coilovers but way out of my price range. Maybe one day haha.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 04:09 AM
way out of my price range.
It helps to be a DMS dealer ;)

Are using KCA342 from Whiteline or a different Whiteline kit?

Grot
01-19-2009, 04:10 AM
are there any brands you dont deal?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
are there any brands you dont deal?

Um.......lemme think.........NO! My goal when I started was to strike out a dealer arrangement with every manufacturer of 4th Gen parts. That isn't 100% done, but I'm pretty close. That's why I claim to be the resident 4th Gen philanthropist.

Grot
01-19-2009, 04:23 AM
lol. so you deal intrax just dont like them?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 04:39 AM
lol. so you deal intrax just dont like them?
Nope. I tried to hook up with them, but they wanted me to sign away my soul to obtain dealer pricing. It wasn't even that good of pricing to begin with. So even for me it would've been overpriced. I was shocked to see that price at your end. I also remember doing all the shopping you're doing right now back in the day; I was just never really impressed with what I had heard about them....at least back then I wasn't. I'm glad 88st165 is rockin' them and having a good time, but even he said they're too soft for autox. At this stage I'm into performance with looks as an added bonus; Not the other way around.

So, all in all, I don't like them for several reasons.

Grot
01-19-2009, 04:44 AM
good to know. so the Eibachs and the KYBs would be a decent setup until i can afford the Konis?

then do bushings and sway bars as funding allows?

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah I think that would be okay. Or even the Suspension Techniques liek you originally stated. The only thing I don't know is what it performs like and what it feels like. Ask Carlos about the KYBs and Eibachs....I think he's running those together.

We can definitely do the rest one piece at a time if you want.

Grot
01-19-2009, 04:53 AM
aight mang.

theorhetoric
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
that is the best price I have seen on Eibach yet! Red I may be hitting you up for a set of KYb's as well.. Did that price include shipping? and can you also order the mounts and boot/bumpstop?

METDeath
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I run Eibach Sportlines (1.5") and KYB GR2s all around, it's a little rough, but I hear people run the Prokit (1.0") and GR2s just fine. However, you may want to spring for the AGX (adjustable) if that's in your budget.

RedRkt01
01-19-2009, 04:02 PM
that is the best price I have seen on Eibach yet! Red I may be hitting you up for a set of KYb's as well.. Did that price include shipping? and can you also order the mounts and boot/bumpstop?

Shipping varies depending on what warehouse they come from. My guy on the west coast usually hook it up, but not always. I can get the stops and mounts too.

88st165
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
It helps to be a DMS dealer ;)

Are using KCA342 from Whiteline or a different Whiteline kit?

Hmmm I didnt know you sold parts. Maybe I will contact you about those DMS in the future! :bigthumbu

As far as the bushing kit, I bought it from a buddy of mine and he bought every bushing seperately thats why some are superpro brand and others and whiteline brand.

In my opinion unless you get custom coil springs, any off the shelf spring, intrax, bg, eibach is going to be too soft if you are really into autox. They are however great for griving around town b/c thats what they were designed for. I need every advantage for my 21 yr old trac to keep up with evo's and sti's so thats why Im thinking coilovers haha.