PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen swappable engines

Toyota_JDM
01-15-2009, 02:31 AM
like everyone i want something more out of my 5sfe...with that, ive taken into consideration an overall engine swap. just out of curiosity, besides a 3sgte engine swap; what other types of motors would swap easily or with as little customization as possible into a 5th gen ST184? i was considering a 1jz or somthing that can really put out, N/A or turbo'd. RWD conversion will probabbly be tough but id love to have it. i just wanted to know what everyone in the celica community thinks...there's got to be some new combination of celica and motor that hasn't been discovered yet. who knows what we may stumble upon. let me hear your input. im interested in all opinions. thanks! (ps let me know if the 1jz will work out in the st184 with its dimensions..im thinking it wont but i havent found a dimension spec sheet yet.)

Shadowlife25
01-15-2009, 02:42 AM
RWD is not an option for your chasis.

Of all the swaps, the 3S-gte is the most often recommended due to it being the most tried and true. Fabrication is minimal, ad there is a fairly reliable upgrade path.
Support will be most readily available for this one.

Another great option is to do a 20v swap. There are a few on this site that have done this. Colossus20v is one. There is a very helpful write-up on site as well. Not as common, but still great resources available to help you through it.

A 1jz will not fit, to my knowledge.

Best of luck in your quest for POWAH! :D:hehe:

METDeath
01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
You could do a 3S-GE and do a NA build up (increase compression, head work, NOS, etc). Something else to consider is a BEAMS (still a 3S-GE, but 200ish HP, stock).

Any RWD conversion is going to be a head ache since the FWD cars don't have a drive shaft tunnel.

Toyota_JDM
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
thanks for your opinions and info, i appreciate it...i just thought i could do somthing different...other than that the 3sgte is most likely the road i would end up taking but im still in debate over making my gt a project car or buying another car for a project.

MikeST184
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Why not try turning yer 5SFE in to a 5SGE. Take the head off a 3SGE and bolt it on to the 5S block. Increased compression twin cam tuneability. Something I definitely want to try.

bloodMoney
01-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Aren't we also forgetting about the V6 that toyota stuffed into the camry? I know that the mr2 guys dump 6s into their cars.... I don't know if it has been done before, but if the 3sfe, 5sfe, 3sge and 3sgte all fit into the camry with roughly the same dimensions, why not?

KoreanJoey
01-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Adrian stuffed a 1MZ into his celi.

Smaay
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
3S-GTE or 1MZ-FE

Toyota_JDM
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
ive heard about the 5sge with the 3sge head bolted on the 5sfe, however i heard something about it like it wont work? i thought they will bolt right up and work fine. where could i get a 3sge head and how much would it cost? plus besides the non-fe head, what other advantages do i get with a ge head?

Freshnicity
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Wait.

1MZ-FE

I thought that COULDNT work in a 5th Celi though?

And yeah to the OP, the easiest way to go is, swap in another of your original motor, and build that up, or, possibly 3sgte would be another "easier" route.

Wouldn't mind seeing that 5sge build though, that would be interesting.

Kastigir
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Any engine is swappable, depending on how much you want to spend. I'm sure there are 2JZ Celicas out there.

Toyota_JDM
01-16-2009, 07:19 PM
i found a few videos of 5s motors cross bred with 3s. i was wondering if either the 3sge head or 3sgte head will work fine on a 5sfe..if it will what do you think itll cost?