PDA

View Full Version : new here, could use some help

Kobzilla
01-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey,
I am new here to the celica forum and actually to forums in general. I am new to the world of working and modding cars and I'm looking forward to the help i can find on this forum. I currently own a 92 celica ST. Unfortunately the engine just went on it, threw a rod bearing. I was wondering a few things,
How much does it cost to do an All-Trac conversion?
What all is involved in the conversion?
What would I need to get?
Would it make more sense to find and purchase an All-Trac and use my current as a parts car?

Thanks for the help.
me

vip09
01-15-2009, 01:09 AM
It's nearly impossible unless you have very deep pockets and extensive experience with fabrication.

It would be cheaper and easier to find an Alltrac.

andy
01-15-2009, 01:16 AM
the alltrac chassis and yur chassis are very different. like majorly. fix your car and use it as a daily. then buy an alltrac to mod on. that would be the best plan. imo.

celica91gts
01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
yes, even if you had a gt-s and wanted to convert it, it would be a lot of money and heart ache to do this. the st is a light and nimble car. you can mod it in different ways and achieve a great deal of fun. and like andy said. st's are geart dd's because of good gas mileage. and you can buy an all-trac later.

MCcelica
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
If it were me, and times are as tough as they are. I'd stick with either rebuilding your engine, or preferably swap straight over to another 4a. I believe it is the 4afe in the 5th gen st's right? Main reason is, it's better to do a straight over swap to build your practice and experience up for when you do more advanced swaps. The ST's are a hell of a good DD.

METDeath
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
If you want more power, the easier swaps would be a 4A-GE, 20V (A higher performing 4A-GE), a 4A-GZE (supercharged), you could also consider a 7A-FE from a 94-99 Celica. Check out club4ag for more info. (Can't remember the exact address, just Google it).

Or stick with the factory 4A-FE (should cost around $400-$700). Any swap is going to run you at least $2000 for a front clip, and if you don't do the swap yourself add on another $2000 for labor. If you feel you have enough mechanical and electrical skills, or know of someone who will help you, then you can try it yourself.