PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum jelly = temporary rust protection?

anachranerd
01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey all,

Im working on stripping paint from my engine bay. Its slow progress, either my discs wear out or the battery on my drill. So Ive got a couple sections with stripped metal already. My question is, can i cover those areas with some petroleum jelly for a couple days while they wait for me to finish the whole bay? Im thinking the jelly will keep the rust away while i finish other areas...

Thanks,

Brian

Ryan
01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
You should be able to, I dont know why that wouldnt work... Or you could prime those areas.

Murgatroy
01-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Have fun getting the jelly off of it...

anachranerd
01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
here's another question. I used a stripping disc, and it left a perfectly smooth surface. i used an 80 grit sanding disc, and it left a rough surface. do i want a rough or perfectly smooth surface for priming?

anachranerd
01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Have fun getting the jelly off of it...

True. But this thing is going to be doused with cleaners and wiped down so much, im not all that worried.

joe's gt
01-14-2009, 02:40 AM
You want it a little rough, but not too rough in order for the primer to adhere properly without scratches showing through. I would go a little higher than 80 personally. Like 120-150 before priming, but I am not there to feel or see the finish so I couldn't possibly tell you. 80 might be fine as well. It should be roughly smooth if that makes any sense. lol.

KoreanJoey
01-14-2009, 04:15 AM
You can just spray some primer... I mean, that's the end result your going for anyways so why not just start?

anachranerd
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, good suggestions all around.

Three words-

Aircraft paint remover.

For the muthafuckin win!!!!

I picked up a stripping disc, and it worked wonders. Took the paint off with not a lot of effort. While im playing with that, i had some aircraft stripper soaking in on another section. After spraying it, I used the stripper for 10-15 minutes. Smoked a cig and drank a beer. After that ran my wirebrush over the areas with chemical. Shit just peeled off. Im sold.

One of my friends had the idea of stripping it to bare metal, polishing it, and then just clear coating the SOB. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea...

extremeskillz
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Well is will become a rust bucket in now time with just clear on metal lol!

anachranerd
01-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Why? If I use clear primer and clear paint?