PDA

View Full Version : What got me into cars...

DblOSmith
01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
So, I'm bored netflixing movies, and I realized what helped me get into cars (especially 5spds) aside from my father and his 4th gen GTS. The first Back to the Future movie. The scene where they introduce the Delorean and it's McFly is racing in the mall parkinglot. Not to mention the BTTF Delorean was hooked up pretty pimp. Nicely done.

So, what were some of the major things that got you guys into cars?

*finishes movie*

Ryan
01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
My dad, uncle, and both grandpas were all mechanics, and I was around them all the time....

I just love cars.

*fast and furious quote* I got that add shit, and something about cars just relaxes me... /quote.

lol

Shadowlife25
01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Seeing my dad build cars.

I'll never forget the Ferrari Dino he had. That car was pure sex.

DblOSmith
01-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Apparently it's the same show that helped me realize I'm gay. Mike Fox was hot in those days, and apparently wore pink calvin klein underwear. :ghey:

3SmeCaptain
01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
my dad got me into cars unintentionally... he hates the fact that i do my own work on my car because he doesn't want me following the mistakes he did when he tried being a mechanic...

guess that's why i'm a machinist... not a mechanic by profession. i keep my hobbies as hobbies.

it's funny because now i'm teaching him... the engines get newer and he gets older :P.

Lonestag
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
This chick i wanted to "suprise sex" had a 4th gen...

Idiot Stick
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I have no idea. Once i got my lisence i realise how much fun it is to just drive.

Ghosty
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for the PS2.

It was 2001, sophomore year of high school, and I was driving a 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage (same as Dodge Colt). Was 16 and pretty much oblivious to cars, despite my dad being a service shop manager.

I remember reading in the video game magazines about how graphic-intensive Gran Turismo 3 was, and thought I would give it a whirl.

A friend had told me about being addicted to the original Gran Turismo, being able to tune cars to make them faster. I gave it a try, but kept running off track, into the kitty litter, and couldn't get a hang of it... so I was hesitant to pick it up. But eventually I got the concept that you need to BRAKE before corners, and I started to hone my virtual skills.

Then I started to learn about the cars in the game as I progressed through it and earned more credits. For instance, one of the cars you can start on is a 1985 Corolla GTS Shigento (sp?) Version. Basically the classic RWD AE85 with the 16 valve 4AGE, but with a carbon-fiber hood and some basic suspension modifications. I had no idea what the car really was, so me and my friends called it the "Piece of Shit Car" (you know, from the Adam Sandler song?), but we were amazed at how freaking fast the car could get up and go.

Learned about imports that way. The GT-R 32, 33, 34. The Supra. The MR2 Turbo. The Miata. The WRX and EVO.

So eventually my dad brought home some really cool cars home to work on in his spare time for some cash on the side, and that's when my interest really caught on.

I remember one time he brought home a gray 300ZX TT to work on. Then he took me for a drive in it. That was one of those moments that got me into cars.

The other was a black 3000GT VR4 that needed a head gasket. I was about to carjack it and cruise through the park, but I didn't know stick, so I didn't know to pop the clutch to start it. Probably a good thing, because I would have wrecked it.

When I eventually did learn stick, it was my dad that taught me, in a WRX hatch from the Subaru dealership he worked for. He also had an EVO VIII in, but he said he preferred the WRX build quality, so that's what I learned on.

Then there was the Impreza 2.5 RS one of my friends had. Nice machine. We went to see the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis in that thing.

Now, what got me into Toyotas was looking for a replacement for that Mitsu. While I was at work, a roofer's van mistakenly backed into my front driver's quarter and smashed it pretty good. Still absolutely drivable, but a nice dent and a nice insurance check.

I saw a yellow 1992 MR2 that I wanted. They wanted too much money, so my dad helped me out and got me this 1992 Celica ST. I thought it was the coolest thing and still do.

Shadowlife25
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for sharing that story. :)

cazlee
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I was an only child to a very mechanically inclined dad. He was a professional mechanic in his 20's, before going into the Army. The earliest memory I have of working on a vehicle, I must have been about 5 and helping dad bleed the brakes of his 1970 Chevy C/10. That truck was a franken-truck, lol. Good memories there. By the time he finally got rid of it, he had disc brakes in front, power steering, a/c, power windows, I think it had a 454 in it? I could be wrong on what motor it had in it when he sold it. We rebuilt that a couple of times. We rebuilt the transmission in the S/10 Blazer a couple of times..

So yeah, I learned me some mechanics as a kid and it kind of stuck with me. He made sure I could do basic things like an oil change, tune up, change serpentine belts, and made me familiar with what sounds meant what coming from the suspension, transmission and motor. The rest I kind of learned by osmosis while growing up, and coz I am unwilling to pay someone else to do most work.

Murgatroy
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I have always been drawn to cars. As a kid, I would draw pictures of them, I learned rather rapidly, that was all I could draw.

I would read Hot Rod Magazine and imagine what it would be like to own one.

When I was about seven or eight, my stepfather enlisted in the Army, we were relocated to Fort Riley, Kansas. One of his friends we met there was Ace. Ace drove an `79 to `81 Firebird Formula. It was white. Has a big blue Screaming Chicken on the hood, pinstriping down the doors with his name, Ace, written under the door on the window.

It was at this time that I would often find myself staring out the windows at school, watching the cars go by. I remember watching in awe as the Second Gen F-Bodies gave way to the Third Generation.

My Stepfather, who was the only male role model I had, and for a short time at that, was a mechanic, it wasn't until nearly twenty years later I would realize that he wasn't that competent, but it was enough to get the bug started. I remember helping him pull the motor in our `66 Valiant, or helping to rebuild the engine in my father's `69 Elkie, the first automobile I ever piloted.

Through my highschool years, due to strict rules at home, I wasn't allowed to obtain my driver's license, so I was forced to ride with friends, David's `79 Monte with a small block, Eric's `70 Ford F100 with a 390ci.

I remember stealing Creed's (my newest and last stepfather) vehicles, from a `72 Bronco up to an `88 IROC. This was how I learned to drive a manual transmission vehicle.

The passion for automobiles has always been there, for as long as I can remember. However the passion was to drive, not work on them.

It was when I first obtained my own cars that I learned that harsh reality.

I was drawn to power, the rumble, the glory of the car. My first car was an `82 notchback Mustang, starting a love affair that continues to this day. I had it for a handful of months before I lost control in a foolish race and was nudged off the road into a tree. Baby was totaled. I was without wheels. I then purchased a `70 F250 with a homemade 302 BOSS and a three speed on the column. Within a couple of months, I grenaded the engine to the point that it was hardly salvageable. It was at this time that I decided to learn how to work on the automobiles, and as such, keep them running reliably for longer periods of time. I was seventeen.

By the time I had turned twenty-one, I had owned nearly fifty cars, many of them highly desirable, and almost all of them fast. It was somewhere around this period that I built my first purpose built race car. It was a `75 Camaro. The best et it ever turned in was a 10.91 that it never backed up. However, it would run 11.20s all night long.

My Uncle now owns that engine, and he refuses to sell it back to me, saying only, 'That is the best engine I have ever owned.'

That is a great source of pride for me, because when I was growing up, his `68 C-10 with it's 400ci smallblock was the envy of nearly everyone living in town.

I don't know, I have just always been a gearhead. I can't pick a date was the day that started it, it has just always been there.

It is not a hobby for me, it is a passion.

If it has wheels, an internal combustion engine and seats, I love it.

hobbie2k
01-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I used to draw trucks on my old Mac LcII. I loved trucks as a kid, not the big ones, but the small off-road ones. (I still like off-roading and would have a small pickup or SUV for that purpose, but I would never use one as a daily driver, DD trucks are for assholes). When I got older I kinda inherited my dad's 240SX, and then bought a new game that just came out called "Gran Turismo." I instantly fell in love with cars, particularly Skylines, Fairladies, and Silvias.

As I got older I began to pickup more and more knowledge about cars and mechanics from wherever I could get it. Online, games, books, magazines, personal experience, but it wasn't until I began to make connections between my physics education and the mechanics of cars that started to get seriously interested in the details.

joe's gt
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Knew nothing about cars at 16. My first and still only car is a 92 celica gt. Crashed it a year later where I bent the fender, cracked the bumper cover, and snapped a tie rod. So in now way was it totaled.

Dad was like, "Might as well do a 3sgte swap and repaint it". That is when my adventure started. Delved into it knowing absolutely nothing about cars. finished about 2 and a half years later, learning as I went.

My Dad knows a lot about cars, but is no where near a mechanic or anything like that. I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage without someone extremely knowledgeable to go to, but I learned as much as I could and did what I could with what I had. My parents helped me out a lot with money which is what allowed me to continue to learn and I thank them for that.

Pretty much been learning about cars ever since. I am still searching for someone to be that very knowledgeable mentor that knows almost everything about cars, but this site I think is better than that, because you get a variety of opinions instead of just one.

rizin
02-06-2009, 05:04 AM
What got me into cars? Not just cars but trucks just about anything with wheels and a engine. The first time I remember doing anything with a engine I was nine, feet against the firewall of my dads 69 chev pu and both hands on a torque wrench pulling as hard as I could to get that click. From there it was on, I wanted to know more. Imagine it will run 18s with that engine now with a topper, full carpet kit, and tow chains, and you name it to fix it on the side of the road. My first go kart wasen't fun till I bolted up a small dirt bike carb and a smaller pulley on the axle, it sucked when I had to push to get it moving but it was faster. I have had a 82' oldsmobile cutlass in high school what a boat, a 62' bug ,85' camero, 79' chev pu, now a 92' celica GT, now a kia so I can mod the celica. Oh ya and the 47' ford I just picked up for 150 dollars. So ya for me cars just dont do it. If it has wheels I seem to like it and like it more if I make it faster.

Blackcloud
02-06-2009, 06:44 AM
because riding my bike was getting old

MCcelica
02-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Lol Amen PC. But for me, it was moving away to college and not knowing jack about cars. Plus being pretty broke and in anther municipality, thus needing to commute, plus car starting to show signs of age. I learned a lot and real quick just by reading (On here and elsewhere), asking, and doing.

celicaGT90_05
02-06-2009, 06:55 AM
What got me into cars? My natural spirit. I have been into cars since birth to be quite honest, just always had a passion for it. I am quite a black sheep of this family, I am the only one who is into cars, and have had to teach myself many things. Now, my family relies on me for car advice, and I have pushed to learn more things. Now that I have my own cars, I have learned from experiences, nothing very bad, never ruined anything (unlike some people) and it feels good to the soul. When I work on my cars, Im in a different zone that gets me away from the stresses of life. Damn I love cars lol this is also why I have so many projects, I just can't quit

A funny thing was my 3rd grade teacher found out about my love for cars, whenever I had something to do with cars, she found it as no surprise.