PDA

View Full Version : starter problems

skreem
03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
sometimes when i try and start my car that starter doesnt want to do anything. i hear the click and all of the gauges and clocks go dim in the car when i turn the key but i get nothing. usualy i get out and bang on the starter with something heavy and that fixes it. what could it be?

Galcobar
03-14-2005, 02:11 AM
You have a starter problem. :laugh:

Seriously, you have a bad starter. A starter is a tiny little self-contained motor and if the gears go bad, then all the power going into it (thus the dimming lights) goes nowhere. Banging on it can cause the gears to engage temporarily.

I've had that happen once, and it seems to have been an anomaly since I've kept that starter for another three years. Yours is clearly more serious since it's happening often.

Get a rebuilt starter, $30-$40, and replace it yourself. Nice thing about the 5SFE is its got most of the bolt-on engine pieces right up top.

85gtsblackman
03-14-2005, 03:48 AM
see that would be another bad thing about the 4afe, or "devil motor'' , the starter is behind the intake mani

but yeah soulds like u need to take a trip to autozone

skreem
03-14-2005, 05:39 AM
it doesnt happen too often, maybe once every 2 months. but it happened on a date last night and i was just :owned: