PDA

View Full Version : EGR block off plates

tooch
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Anyone know if there's anyone who makes (or can make) plates to block off the EGR? Wanting to clear some space in my engine, and wouldn't mind pissing this off. I could always make something up, it's just that taking the IC and all the other shit off takes a while, then I gotta measure it up, put it all back together, make the plates, then take it all off again to fit!

Any ideas?

ChrisD
03-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I had one on my old 165 engine. It's a really simple peice. My advice, just get a peice of steel/aluminum that's flat and somewhat thick/stiff, cut it into a rectangle sort of shape, and then measure and drill out the bolt holes. Voila, your own custom EGR blockoff.

:)

Team_Weall
03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
would there be any adverse affect to getting rid of it?

Jaemus
03-13-2005, 02:54 AM
legal issues

tooch
03-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Easily reversible if you ever need to get an RWC on the car though....For daily driving though, is there much of a problem? Not likely that a cop will ever notice it, but will the car run worse, and is the risk of detonation really increased?

trd_st162
03-13-2005, 03:58 AM
Hey Tooch its Adrian here..
Ermm u may have a bit of a problem as if u get pulled over, the EPA can do a emmission test right there and then, and i VERY VERY much doubt u'll pass with EGR blocked off...

I'll just mention something i've been told, ur gonna have to remove more than just blocking ur egr off because it will actually put ur engine in a suspended mode unless u actually disable EGR from the valve.

EGR is only enabled when ur cruising, the second u put ur foot down it disables it, thats why the valve is there and there is a vacumn hose that goes from ur throttle body to the valve.. U will have to remove this hose, the ecu knows when the plate is blocked and thinks somethign is wrong with the engine as the EGR valve is not getting any gas..

Personally its not worth the bother/risk..
I put a plate on mine which was exact to the old gasket, and yeah it didn't even do anythin, i felt the car actually run worse.. My recommendations is not to do it, i'll give u my template that i made out of tin if u like, if its the same as the 162 but yeah it won't do much unless u remove the whole thing..

tooch
03-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Adrian: Not sure about that suspended mode thing, thats the first I heard of it...Will look into it tho.
The main reason I wanted to piss it off tho is just to eliminate the amount of filthy carbon and shit it pumps into the intake/engine, so I hoped to remove the lot anyway.

Thanks for the comments tho man

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
03-14-2005, 01:25 AM
as ChrisD has said already, get yaself some thick aluminium/steel, and drill and fit as required.

Emissions should be fine, we don't have as strait emissions as the states do. Aslong as your CATS are in good working order you should pass fine.

trd_st162
03-14-2005, 04:16 AM
Yeah i heard about it from a good source..
A note on the CATS,
It will reduce the life of ur CAT quite a bit, so yeah u gotta be careful.
So although they maybe in good nick now.. they will wear out eventually.
But yeah u gotta make sure u can't see the gaskets, because if u block it off and u can see it, the cops/epa would have done it so many times they will know a blocked off EGR..
BIG fines for having it blocked off!