PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a 2000 Celica GTS ?

mlwmlw
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey there. I would be looking for a celica to tow my CBR600RR here or there. At most, 3 bikes at a time on an open trailer. The max towing weight would be 1200 LBS. I don't have enough money to get a special tow vehicle, and, consequently, I would like something to double as a car I want, and a bike tower. Towing would be very rare, just to track days, and maybe to and from college or so.

Opinions please!!!

mlwmlw
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah it would be the manual transmission, 6 speed :)

Ryan
12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
DEAR GOD, please dont.... i mean, putting a hitch on a celi makes it look hideous.

Why not just get like a corolla or something cheap like that to tow with.

mlwmlw
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Hidden hitch :wiggle:
You'd never know unless I were to be towing. It could also be ground off.

WHy not by a corolla, you ask, is because, I like celicas :) I also want to take the car on some twisties !

Ryan
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I mean, yes, get the celica, but I dont know that it would be good on the transmission and clutch to tow with it. They really arent meant for towing.

I meant for you to get the celica, but also find a cheap rolla or something of the sort that is reliable and not quite as nice as a celi to tow with. Tuner4life towed vikingjz's 72 celi a few miles with his geo prizm.. it was a $900 car with a shitload of miles and it towd the car pretty well.

mlwmlw
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
oh I got ya lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't want to get a celica and mess it up, I was actually hoping someone had towed with a celica before. I don't have the money to dispose of another car like I did my last one. I really hope a celica could handle towing, but if not I will just get a cheap car like you suggested.

Galcobar
12-30-2008, 11:56 PM
If you have the owner's manual, it will tell you if towing is advisable and up to what weight.

I could tell you for the fifth-gen, but that wouldn't help you much.

MCcelica
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
If you want a celica and a tow vehicle. I'd get a 6th gen GT. The 5s with the S54 is good for it. I mean. It's not MEANT for it by any means, but I'd rather pull something in my 6th gen than my 7th. In my 6th gen I did tow my buddies loaded ass Jeep Wrangler (Lifted and on 35's) all the way across town with no problems at all. Would I even try that in my 7th gen?? No friggin way.

Shadowlife25
12-31-2008, 01:32 AM
For towing a motorcycle or two at most, I think it would be fine.