PDA

View Full Version : New to site - Celica has an Engine tick

tloucks
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to this site, but have found that forums can be very helpful in the past. I have a 01' Celica GT with 130K miles on it, and have owned it since 52K miles. At start up the engine ticks very loudly until the car warms up some, it's even more noticeable in cold weather. Whats this caused by? Is the engine not getting enough oil? I've always used the Mobil 1 5w30 oil in it. Is there anyway to stop this? Also when is a good time to change the timing belt for preventive maintenance? Any information with be very helpful.

Thanks,
Tom

Murgatroy
12-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Timing belt should be replaced at least every 100k.

The could be a multitude of things. It could be the pistons warming up, or a simple valve click. It could also be the bearings.

You can try stepping the weight of the oil up a hair, but if you aren't losing any oil, I wouldn't bother.

There are conventional 'High Mileage' oils, you could try using this for your next change, see if that helps it.

Can you describe the tick better for us? Is it a tick, a tap, a knock?

tloucks
12-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Just a tick, a fast tick, never a knock. The car runs and sounds new after it's warmed up some. There isn't any leaks. I always let the car warm up a little before driving it, usually until the tick fades. It was only a concern because the car is getting more and more miles. I've been reading up on the timing belt in different threads on this site. It was said that if the timing belt breaks, it can be replaced and no harm is done to the engine....is this true for my car? Normally if a timing belt breaks lets say on a ford it bends the valves and is pretty much complete destruction of the motor? Thanks for your help.

Kastigir
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
It's valve adjustment time. Typical adjustment interval is 30k miles.

Murgatroy
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
It depends on whether the engine is an interference engine or not.

I know the older engines are non-interference, I don't know about the 1ZZ. If it is an interference engine, the valves will contact the pistons if the belt breaks, thus in effect ruining the engine.

Trance4c
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
2000+ GT's are 1zz's and they are interference, and chain driven, there is no belt. Typically chains are said to be good for 200,000 miles.

I would imagine the ticking is just some valve tapping as well.

burnyd
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
every 100k? Those cars are chain driven and should be good for a very very very very long time not sure how long it is.....

As far as the ticking sounds head related might want to get it checked out sounds like valve tick, just needs to be adjusted possibly?

mr2trd3
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. If the tick goes away after the car is warmed up, look around for an exhaust leak. Maybe exhaust manifold gasket.

Trance4c
12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
^ X2, could very well be that too.

celica91gts
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
+1 for valve tick, try a heavier oil, it might band-aid the problem. if it is lift tick you have, replacing them with new oil squirters might do the trick.