PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant Electrical Prob. Help!

brveagle
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Got a problem on my 5th gen Celica GT-S.

The following is what will happen: When driving, I'll lose all interior power. The gauge cluster will go out. All the needles will go dead. The radio/interior lights/fan buttons will all not work. None of the lights in the cluster work (CEL/Airbag...etc)

However the car will continue to run/drive just fine. Sometimes it will last for 5 seconds, sometimes for 5 minutes. When this is happening, and i turn off the car, I am unable to start it via the ignition switch, however I can bump start it just fine. I checked all the fuses under the hood and they all were clean/tight. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RedRkt01
12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
You might be grounding out. That happened to me once with very similar results. Check the condition of the rubber coating on your battery tie-down.

anachranerd
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
unable to start it via ignition switch, meaning you turn the key and nothing happens?

or it just clicks, or what?

MrWOT
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Check all of your grounds. You SHOULD have three grounds connected directly to bat-,
Engine, Transmission, Body.

brveagle
12-29-2008, 10:30 PM
unable to start it via ignition switch, meaning you turn the key and nothing happens?

or it just clicks, or what?

Turning the key to the accessory or start does nothing. No click. Nothing. It doesn't even light up. The guage cluster does not turn on either, no matter which position the key is in.

Thank you for the replies so far. I will go home tonight and start checking the grounds under the hood.

brveagle
12-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Well I want to thank everyone for their help. I found the problem to be the 100amp fuse in the fuse block under the hood. It was really discolored from heat and hadn't been making a good connection. I replaced it and bolted it in place like it should have been and now everything is good.

RedRkt01
12-30-2008, 03:02 AM
congrats!