PDA

View Full Version : new 2 the celicas world

celikris
03-12-2005, 03:05 AM
first off im a newbie so hello 2 all owners. i recently(3 weeks ago) came into owning a 91 st and am interested in finding ways to improve it. so ive got a few questions,1 what is the blacktop?2 would it be better to swap out the engine or would it i be able 2 get a good amount of horses from parts? and last how hard is it to change the half shafts(oh ya im a newbie at mechanics also).in my owners manual it says something about a tool but only list a part #. ty all and im glad i found this site

91CelicaGT13
03-12-2005, 03:31 AM
1. A blacktop is a kind of engine for the ST because the ST comes with the 4-AFE and the GT comes with the 5sfe (notice the difference between the A and the S in the engine codes) and it is a direct drop in (no modification to motor mounts) as the 3S-GTE is to the GT and GTS. Here is a good article which has a lot of information on it along with the silvertop engine: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479&highlight=Blacktop+Swap

2. Since there is limited aftermarket support for the entire 5th generation family (especially the STs) you would get a considerable amount more horsepower if you did a blacktop, silvertop, 4agze swap, and more that I'm missing swaps into your ST. You could also turbo your 4AFE, search for 4-AFTE in the forums and you should find something.

3. If it gives you a part number then go to your nearest toyota dealer and tell them the part number and they can look it up to see what the part for the corresponding number is and you could also ask them if it would be to change your halfshafts. Because personally I do not know how to do it myself.

Welcome to the Toyota Family!

Peace,

Kevin

creech_r
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
yeah...the blacktop engine has high rev (alot more than the silly 4afe) and also packs about 170hp (give or take). A suggestion i've gotten in the past is to swap the 6spd levin clip (i think that's the car it came in) so you'd be packin a 170hp (with out mods) blacktop 6spd celica ST...but that's going to cost you...the guy that i was thinking about getting the blacktop clip (5spd :( ) was quoting me $1500 and that's because a friend and i constantly bug him for misc reasons...and there'd be no shipping.

You just have to find out what you're willing to spend and what you want your car to be able to do...like my ST is my commuter...maybe pushing a whopping 110hp at the fly...but i get about 40mpg...which is what it's for.

Power is where that 3S-Gte comes in...hehe, i'm now working on gettin an alltrac!

And Welcome to the celica world...and this site is great, the people are friendly and pretty knowledgable. And so far i've not gotten attacked for asking stupid questions....

celikris
03-13-2005, 12:10 AM
what is the numbers for the blacktop (my st 4afe) ty for the input

creech_r
03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
what is the numbers for the blacktop (my st 4afe) ty for the input

I'm not sure i understand the question...

i'm pretty sure that's not the way you wanted to word it...

MoralWarfare
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
as in the engine code.

alltracman78
03-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Welcome :D

The blacktop is a version of the 4A-GE engine. It has a black valve cover, hence "Blacktop"

A little info on Toyota engines.
-First number is the engine size. There is no organized system for this, they just pick a number for it. Just because a certain number, like 4, is a certain size in one family [see below] doesn't mean it's the same size in a different family. So 4 in a A series [family] engine is 1.6 liters. A 4 in a S series engine wouldn't necesarily be a 1.6. It could be a 2.4.
-Next is the letter[s]. A, S, JZ, whatever. This is the engine family.
-Then you have [in newer engines since ~1985]a G or a F. G stands for performance engine. Basically a better head design, with a block to support it reliably, and a ecu mapped for power. F is economy. The engine is designed to be really reliable, and get good gas mileage.
-Then, in some engines you have a T or TT. This is turbo. Or twin turbo. Self explanatory.
-Z is supercharged.
-Last, you have a E. The E stands for electronic fuel injection.
Older engines don't have one. Like the 22R, or 3TC. Both are carbureted engines.

Most of the time parts from the same family bolt on to each other. For example 3S-GE/GTE manifolds [from certain years] bolt onto a 5S-FE engine. Doesn't always work that way tho. A 3rd gen 3S-GTE intake manifold won't bolt onto a 1st or 2nd g 3S-GTE head.
Also, some parts will bolt on, but won't work correctly. For example a 5S-FE water pump will bolt onto a 3S-GTE engine, but it doesn't flow enough coolant for the 3S.
Parts from different familys almost never bolt onto each other.

OK, some examples.
A family.
4A-GE 1.6l 4 performance 4 cyl.
4A-FE 1.6l economy 4 cyl.
4A-GZE 1.6l supercharged performance 4cyl.
7A-FE 1.8l economy 4cyl.

S Family
3S-GTE 2.0 turbocharged performance 4 cyl.
3S-GE 2.0 performance 4 cyl.
5S-FE 2.2 economy 4 cyl.

R Family
20R 2.2 carbureted 4 cyl.
22R 2.4 carbureted 4 cyl.
22RE 2.4 fuel injected 4 cyl.
22R -TE 2.4 fuel injected turbo charged 4 cyl.

2JZ-GTTE 3.0 tubocharged perfomance 6 cyl.

I'm not going to keep going, this is a pretty long post.

celikris
03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
thanks for the help in understanding the engine codes. gave me a lot better idea in what to look for and yes that what i was looking for with my last question.