PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP! 4AFE Drive Shaft Removal

Halfspec
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Hello,
I'm in the middle of a 5th gen 4AFE to 5AFE swap and I'm just a few steps from pulling my engine. I've removed both axle hubs, but I'm stuck when it comes to removing the axles from the transmission. I don't see how they are being held in but they are locked in pretty good. I would reference the BGB, but the 5th gen body, etc BGB is down :(
I have removed drive shafts from from my mr2's 3SGTE transmission, but they were bolted on with 6 hex head bolts... The Celica's drive shafts don't have bolts :(

I have been searching for the last 1/2 an hour but perhaps I'm asking the wrong questions. I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could shed some light on this situation so I can get back to work :)

Lane

david in germany
12-28-2008, 10:09 PM
They are held in with locking rings inside. Take a pry bar in a good position and pop them out. That is all you do.

Halfspec
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks David! I'll give that a shot. I also figured out how to get into vol2 of the 5th gen BGB with a little URL dissection :)

Thank you SOOO much for jumping in so quick to help me :)

Lane

zmile06
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Use a good pry bar, or i ended up buying a sliding hammer and the axel puller attachment. There a pain to get out.

Halfspec
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
That did the trick! I feel stupid now because it was so simple. I just don't like hammering/prying on anything without knowing how it comes apart :)

Anyway... Now on the the AC Compressor, PS Pump, and underbody brace :)

Thanks again David & zmile06

Lane

Mister2T
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I always had a problem getting mine out as those clips seem to be super stiff, i always took a 1/2" rathet and put the handle between the axle and tranny and tapped the other end with a hammer and they come out, everything else I have ever dealt with came out fearly easy.