PDA

View Full Version : You never know if this is going to happen to you tomorrow.

Ghosty
12-27-2008, 07:17 PM
http://images.zwire.com/local/Z/ZWIRE1409/zwire/images/2008/12/story/20081226_142508_2_story.jpg

A reader of the newspaper I worked for sent that cell phone image in of a horrific wreck that occurred Christmas day.

Here's the story the way a different newspaper covered it:

A woman perhaps late for a Christmas party was among two people killed when her van, headed the wrong way on Interstate 44, collided head on with a pickup truck near St. Clair.

Killed in the fiery crash were the van's driver, Margaret Mitchell, 73, of south St. Louis County, and a second woman, said Franklin County sheriff's Deputy Theresa Lustwerk. Examination of dental records will be required to confirm the identity of the second victim, believed to be 20, Lustwerk said.

The accident happened shortly before 4:30 p.m. Thursday on eastbound I-44. Lustwerk gave this account:

Mitchell apparently had been driving west on I-44 when she exited at the rest area west of St. Clair. Perhaps realizing she had passed the exit to get to a Christmas party with relatives near Union, Mitchell began driving her 1997 Ford Econoline van east in the westbound lanes.

At 4:19 p.m., the Highway Patrol began getting calls from drivers reporting the van headed the wrong way on the interstate. Mitchell traveled about five miles before her van collided with the westbound 1994 Dodge pickup driven by the second victim. The vehicles burst into flames and both victims died at the scene.

Lustwerk said relatives who telephoned Mitchell at home about 90 minutes before the crash said they awakened the woman and asked about her attendance at the holiday party. Authorities suspect Mitchell was on the way to the party when she reached the rest area, then turned around.

(link)
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/B7AA9955E8B584B48625752B0057FB95?OpenDocument

From eyewitness accounts, this 73-year-old woman got on the interstate in my area going the wrong way. She was probably going about 80 when she ran into someone going 70 or 80 in the other direction.

Not even getting into the issue of elderly drivers, it just makes you realize that bad shit can happen, and you best be prepared for the worst.

Ryan
12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Thats insane man!! That is really horrible.

MCcelica
12-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Stay vigilant out there people. There was someone headed south in the northbound lanes on I-25 last night when I was on my way back up here. Although I suspect they were drunk as they crossed back over the median after they damn near killed me. I'm lucky I was paying attention and happen to be a fucking ninja. Even so I narrowly escaped. Mine would have been a glancing blow, but at freeway speeds, that's enough to flip you. So yall keep your heads up. There's crazies out there everywhere. Especially this time of year.

MrWOT
12-28-2008, 02:23 AM
I've almost been killed by other people more times than I can count on the road. My single favorite to date was about 6 years ago.

I was home on summer break from college and I was helping out my folks with their pump bussiness. In this case, I was on a trip with my father to do a boost station startup in Hollister. We're in a white 99 dodge ram 1500. We are on I-5 travelling south around Crows Landing? and we exited the freeway to get gas. We're sitting at the bottom of the 1/8 mile long, straight as an arrow offramp, at a red light, when all of a sudden my father says "Oh Fu~" *WHAM!*

A white 90s caddy just rearended us at about 50mph. Bunch of blue haired old ladies inside, driver said she "just didn't see us there", father replied "it's a fucking 6 foot tall white truck!", lady bursts into tears and we part ways and wait for the CHP to show up.....

I'm fucking AMAZED I lived this long considering...... :ohnoes:

CarolinaJr.
12-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Wow that's really crazy. I have only been in one wreck and it did not even leave a mark on the cars. I hope people start paying more attention to what they are doing

MCcelica
12-28-2008, 04:33 AM
I hope people start paying more attention to what they are doing

Don't count on it. It's best that you just pay attention and drive like EVERYONE else on the road is a useless hunk of fuck until they prove you otherwise.

MCcelica
12-28-2008, 04:44 AM
A white 90s caddy just rearended us at about 50mph. Bunch of blue haired old ladies inside, driver said she "just didn't see us there", father replied "it's a fucking 6 foot tall white truck!", lady bursts into tears and we part ways and wait for the CHP to show up.....

Didn't see a ridiculously huge truck that was right in front of you. Ok, fair enough. So I guess everyone here just goes blasting through a red light at 50mph... Either homegirl is full of shit, or just needs her license taken away... or both.

I'm not just pickin on old ladies though. I'm also talkin about drunksasses, friggin fools with their cars overloaded cause (they can't stop as well), assfuckers that can't maintain their vehicles (cause if they replaced their brakes from time to time they would actually be able to stop). I'm talkin about those fricken teenage girls who text and fucking drive at the same time. The friggin weirdos that curl their eyelashes and shit on the damn freeway. The GUYS who are deliberately assholes and block you up in traffic just so you can't get in front of them (And actually maybe get up to the speed limit from time to time). Honda drivers, Subaru drivers (Around these parts anyway). Road ragers, although I'm one of those... not everybody is perfect. The list goes on and on.

revv_head
12-28-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm pissed off that some old careless slut can just come and turn someone elses life upside down because she is too lazy to go all the way around and come back, that is another example of a pathetic excuse for human beings that are out there.

Ghosty
12-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I forgot to mentioned that the day I received that random email/ cell pic, I was almost involved in an accident.

I was headed back to my hometown for the weekend on I44 -- the same interstate, it cuts through St. Louis before becoming I55 -- when I looked in the opposite lane of traffic to see debris strewn about, cars in the median, and an SUV propped up on the safety divider.

Shit, I thought. Someone fucked up.

Look back ahead, because I realize I can't be all distracted by whatever the hell is going on over there. And just as I do that, I see tires flopping about, mangled front bumpers hanging off cars as they slow down to the left and right of me.

Some ass in a pickup way to big for his own good gets hard on his brakes unexpectedly, and his rear end nearly brakes loose. Shitty thing about that is, the truck was so damn big, I couldn't see what was happening in front of him, so I was only just able to react when I saw him get heavy on the brakes, to put on my breaks and prevent me from slamming into him.

But I did stop before slamming into him, and I just drove off cautiously.

The rest of the drive home I kept hearing traffic alerts about a wreck on both directions of I44 over the radio, and how the road was backed up for miles. All because some dumb fucks couldn't do what I did: pay attention.

Driving is a privilege. Always has been. This country needs to get serious about reckless, irresponsible and impaired drivers... this ain't the wild west for chrissakes. Also that not all vehicles are created equal, and with the purchase of a bigger, heavier vehicle requires a higher burden of responsibility (SUV, trucks, semis, etc).

Transportation is a necessity, obviously, so mass transit should get some funding. Maybe there wouldn't be as many dangerous people on the road if there were alternative ways of getting to the destination.

I don't know why it is that a person has a waiting period for a firearm, but the only waiting period to get behind a 4,000-pound hunk of steel, glass and plastic is how fast you can write a check.

zmile06
12-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Cops don't always enforce traffic laws is my big beef... I hear of idiots who deserve to be put in jail, drive off from major incidents. I had some piece of shit in a old MR2 cross 3 lanes of traffic and nearly clip my front bumper going 75 mph on the highway, just to get off on an exit that was clearly marked a mile ahead of time. He cut in front of a semi truck and me, and i was accelerating, i obviously watched for him, because he looked like a jerk off.

MCcelica
12-28-2008, 11:55 AM
None of the scenarios above were caused by the cops. They can't be everywhere. Even if they could be everywhere, traffic laws are not an effective deterrant. You can't blame all of your problems on cops. I mean I know it makes ya feel better to do so, but there are situations when you just can't do it.

revv_head
12-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Cops don't always enforce traffic laws is my big beef... I hear of idiots who deserve to be put in jail, drive off from major incidents. I had some piece of shit in a old MR2 cross 3 lanes of traffic and nearly clip my front bumper going 75 mph on the highway, just to get off on an exit that was clearly marked a mile ahead of time. He cut in front of a semi truck and me, and i was accelerating, i obviously watched for him, because he looked like a jerk off.

and also big fella im sure you do a fair bit of speeding since you are on a car enthusists forum and all.

hobbie2k
12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I've been rear-ended twice (two Nissan S13s totaled as a result), both times I was completely stopped at a traffic light. I can't count the number of times I was nearly rear-ended on the freeways of Minneapolis, just because I watch 2-3 cars ahead of me and watch the amount of dive to determine how much braking is going on. As a result I almost always end up slowing or stopping with plenty of room to spare.

I, personally, would love to see some more comprehensive driver training to get a license. In Finland, you actually practice spins and slides on a skidpad. I've also read about tests where people in identical cars follow each other a "safe" distance apart, then split into two lanes while maintaining that distance, then the car in front slams on it's brakes and the car in back has to try and stop without passing the first car. Most fail that test. I also feel that continuing education should be mandatory, not just for the elderly, but for all drivers.

85gtsblackman
12-28-2008, 03:30 PM
jacksonville is dangerous as hell people allways drop shit on bridges, case in point i hit a california king sized box spring in my tib and flipped it,i was going under the limit because i saw a trooper way back in traffic which ended up good cause he saw exactly what happened

oh and a semi came over on my subaru and smashed the front end a few months back

thats just the main shit ive gone through

and my friends wonder why i havent gotten another motorcycle yet

vip09
12-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I was driving my old '91 toyota pickup on a 5 mile long stretch of I-10 that goes over the Mobile Bay (it's a really long bridge). I was in the right lane and the semi in the left lane came over on me. He hit me right in the driver door and made the rear end of my truck get loose and swing the whole truck in front of him. He T-boned me in the driver door at 60mph and didn't know anything was going on until he was pushing me down the interstate. It's probably a good thing he hit me as I spun in front of him because there's a good chance I would have gone off the bridge.

Ghosty
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Of course property has no comparison to loss of life or limb, but reading all of the accidents above makes me think I'm crazy for being a car person.

I mean, my Celica could be totaled two seconds after I get in it this morning. Bye bye Celica.

Are we a bunch of masochists?

Chris
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
and also big fella im sure you do a fair bit of speeding since you are on a car enthusists forum and all.

I think there's a difference between go five or 10 over the limit and jumping across three lanes of traffic.

zmile06
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
None of the scenarios above were caused by the cops. They can't be everywhere. Even if they could be everywhere, traffic laws are not an effective deterrant. You can't blame all of your problems on cops. I mean I know it makes ya feel better to do so, but there are situations when you just can't do it.
I never said all accidents were caused by cops did I? I know they can't be every where. The lady who rear ended me without car insurance walked away from the accident, the cop didn't even issue a citation for driving without insurance. I don't hate cops, but I'm tired of cops who don't enforce the laws when they should.

zmile06
12-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I rarely speed in the ST, it's a MPG machine for a reason ;)

revv_head
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
I rarely speed in the ST, it's a MPG machine for a reason ;)

that and its top speed is 60mph :P :D

RedRkt01
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
i obviously watched for him, because he looked like a jerk off.

That's profiling, bro. Shame on you.

MrWOT
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I was driving my old '91 toyota pickup on a 5 mile long stretch of I-10 that goes over the Mobile Bay (it's a really long bridge). I was in the right lane and the semi in the left lane came over on me. He hit me right in the driver door and made the rear end of my truck get loose and swing the whole truck in front of him. He T-boned me in the driver door at 60mph and didn't know anything was going on until he was pushing me down the interstate. It's probably a good thing he hit me as I spun in front of him because there's a good chance I would have gone off the bridge.

Bet that was exciting :eek4:

RedRkt01
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Fuck...........That kinda shit happens to me all the time. No biggie......

hobbie2k
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Just the other day I was taking my wife and daughter into town for a doctor's appointment. We were on the main highway because I figured it would likely be clear of ice by now (all the other roads have been solid sheets of clear ice for the past week). Most of the highway was fine, but there were still icy sections. I was driving in the right lane going the speed limit, and saw in front of me that the right lane was getting really icy, so I switched to the left lane because it was clear. Pretty soon, a pickup came right up on my ass and sat there for a minute. I was going to get out of his way as soon as the right lane cleared up (it would be stupid to try and switch lanes onto glare ice at 60mph), but the truck driver was apparently in a hurry because he switched lanes and floored it to pass on my right. Sure enough, I saw his tail start wagging, so I floored it to try and stay ahead of him, right when he spun into my lane.

On the way home, on the same stretch of highway, I saw a car in the ditch and an Explorer that had gone so far off it had smashed into a tree a good 50 yards off the highway.

And the day before, my wife had spun her car out and went into the ditch on the way to the grocery store. Only to look up and see another Explorer on it's roof in the other ditch. My wife's power wheels were still on the shoulder, and the rear wheels were only in soft snow a couple inches deep, but the road was so slippery that a 4x4 pickup couldn't pull her out. It just spun the wheels, so we got a couple guys and were able to push it right out...

When you're driving in a northern state in winter, ALWAYS assume it is much slipperier than it feels. What I do is I guess how long it will take to stop, then I start braking at 2-3 times that distance, or I guess how fast i can go around a corner and take it at only .5-.75 that speed.