PDA

View Full Version : gauges

Grot
12-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Has anyone ever seen or know how one could make a set of gauges where the needle is fixed straight up and down, and in the background there is a disc with the numbers that rotates like the needle moves on a normal set of gauges?

Shadowlife25
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I think there are aeronautical gauges that work in that fashion. Google it or send a PM to the Captain or Schmleff.

Carolina91GT-S
12-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Interesting mod idea. Shouldn't be too tough of an undertaking once you commit to it.

many gauges in the aviation field do use this method. I worked as an avionics guy for army helicopters for while and can tel you that heading and attitude reference gauges do work that way. Altitude and engine info gauges do not.

RedRkt01
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I think there are aeronautical gauges that work in that fashion. Google it or send a PM to the Captain or Schmleff.

I've flown airplanes with gauges that work in nearly the same fashion. But it is the needle that moves.....it's overkill to design a gauge where the numbers rotate; What's more is that it would be hard to identify a failure of the gauge or the system it monitors.

Good luck trying to source aeronautical gauges in your price range.

Carolina...you and I both understand how gyros work, but I fail to see how this could be applied to a gauge in a car.

Carolina91GT-S
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Carolina...you and I both understand how gyros work, but I fail to see how this could be applied to a gauge in a car.

Think about an HSI( Horizontal Situation Indicator)

http://www.harmon.com/hsi.htm

I guess you could use something like this for your speedo. Where maybe you had a window at the top of the gauge and the card rotated through the window always showing your changing speed.

Really though I agree, it would be a lot for work for not much effect. so so cool factor and zero benefit. At that point you would better off switching to digital gauges.

RedRkt01
01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Think about an HSI( Horizontal Situation Indicator)

http://www.harmon.com/hsi.htm

I guess you could use something like this for your speedo. Where maybe you had a window at the top of the gauge and the card rotated through the window always showing your changing speed.

Really though I agree, it would be a lot for work for not much effect. so so cool factor and zero benefit. At that point you would better off switching to digital gauges.

Yeah an HSI or something like the compass card on the DG would be the only thing that makes sense, but to run vacuum for all that is crazy. Even if you spun the gyros electrically it would be a lot for nothing.

Now I'm having nightmares about the days when I had to learn about pendulous vanes, gimbles, and the two0axis attitude indicator......what a bitch that was at the time!

Fuck it........true pilots put ASIs in their cars and measure speed in KIAS!