PDA

View Full Version : Valves

CPincy
12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
So i already have a boosted 5s and im going to rebuild the head this spring and i know alot of you NA guys have 1mm oversized valves...i was curious as to what valves would fit..help me out guys

Hiko
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
As the Celica switched to the 2nd gen 5sfe in 92, your best bet for valves is to use 2jz valves (they are 1mm OS). That's where a lot of the people around here get their oversized valves from.

85gtsblackman
12-19-2008, 12:30 AM
fwiw when i pull my engine when it goes back in i will have 1mm o/s vavles

RedRkt01
12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Got me some Ferrea units.

greenmachine87
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
id like to know what exactly needs to be done to fit the 2jz valves i have plenty of port work done and i think i may need bigger valves to see the full potential of my port work.

grayscale
12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, you need to pull your head and take it to a shop to have the valve seats cut larger to accept the new valves.
What I can't remember is if you have to cut the valve stems or if was the 3sgte valve stems that have to e cut for the rev1 head.
Other than that, while you have it at the shop you might as well have them go over it and straighten it out.

MrTurrari
12-30-2008, 01:06 AM
All that really needs to be done for 1mm OS valves is for the seats to be cut to fit the new wider valve and a reshim. But you should also enlarge the bowls and ports a similar amount to see much increase in flow. Also don't forget to deshroud the valve inside the chamber. Just remember that everything from the plenum down is there to maximize flow through the valves so it needs to be consistent. A professional will use a flowbench to gauge how big to go and where. When all this is done right it simply makes the engine flow better at a higher RPM. If you are still using stock cams you will gain a little power but this mod really starts to shine if you add cams and/or more displacement.

CPincy
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
thanks guys and another question is stiffer valve springs..any idea where i can get these or are they the same size as the 3sgte or similar motor?

MrTurrari
01-07-2009, 12:39 AM
2jzgte valve springs are a bit stronger and will fit the rev2 head. That is what I am using and my engines spins up to 7300rpms with no problems. You are limed to just over 0.350" lift with those or stock 5s springs though.

CPincy
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks MrTurrari I'm probably gonna end up picking up a set of springs and titanium retainers from crower....oh and one last question. Im gonna do the webcams regrind any recommendations on that? it seems like the most popular grind is their 294 but im doing a turbo and there was a 791 grind or something like that..what should i be looking for?

MrWOT
01-08-2009, 06:36 AM
I can't believe I just did that, I actually just googled "webcams" before I realized what I was typing. Guess what results I got? :laugh:

37e (http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/automobile/toyota/install_data/tc_27659.html)