PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Mounts

Lonestag
12-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok,
I just got my 95 Tercel back from the shop. I got a new tranny and clutch put in becasue the last one was going south fast.

Since I've had this car (since it was maybe 100k miles) it has been having a real bad vibration problem which is very bad when accelerating on right turns and is worst in 3rd and 4th gear. An entire new transmission did not fix it, and I've had the rest of the suspension looked at several times, to no avail.

I'm worried that the intense vibration is going to end up tearing somthing else in my car up, which I can't afford.

Given that I've had most of the more obvious things checked like the axle and tie rod ends, i'm thinking it might be the transmission mounts.
My problem is that I'm retarded when it comes to transmissions and suspensions so this isn't somthing I've been having an easy time going at on my own.

Any help would really be great, this is my one running car/DD and its a great car except for this one fairly major issue.

To summerize, the vibration is the worst when:

-Accelerating on a right curve
-Accelerating in 3rd and 4th gear
- It will occur in 2nd and 5th to a smaller extent
- Happens to a lesser degree in streight line acceleration in 3rd/4th

It does not happen when:

-There is no torque going to the wheels (IE coasting)
- If it happens in 1st and 2nd gears, it is not major enough to notice
- If the wheels are getting reverse torque (IE in low gear doing down a hill)there is no vibration, even on turns

Thanks guys!

Edit - If I decided to change the tranny mount (mounts?), is this somthing I could do with jacks and a ratchet set?

Lonestag
12-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Nothing?

ciento44
12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
It's possible... but i'm not convinced.

Reason being, if the mount was THAT bad, you'd be able to tell by looking at it, and it would lurch and rock under accleration.

mwracing
12-28-2008, 01:59 AM
I came here for almost the same reason.

My celica... it has a noticeable vibration.

start the car, and you can feel the Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... shift gears from P to R.. Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Drive down the street... during light acceleration it isnt that noticeable, coasting and engine slowing down the car it is very noticeable.

also if i shift the gears myself, and rev higher in each gear it is really noticeable at higher RPM.

Also mild bumps in the road make it vibrate more as the car dips alittle and my guess is rock the engine/tranny.

If i put the car in first gear, and give it gas, and let go quick.. i can feel the engine and tranny rock back and forth fairly loosely.