PDA

View Full Version : May be time to sell my baby

Simonhla
12-17-2008, 05:53 AM
So I have been giving it some thought and after consulting with my wife we have decided it is time to move on sooner rather than later to a new car. It's painful to do because we are both attached to the Celi but we've got our eye on a 2000-2003 BMW or Mercedes. It's just time to modernize.

So Celi will be going on the market very soon (once the winter is over) and here is what I am dealing with:

1992 White GT Coupe Auto Trans
Eibach Prokit springs (150 miles)
GR2 Shocks & Mounts (150 miles)
Rebuilt original engine (3,000 miles - with supporting documentation) including timing belt/water pump/oil pump etc etc
New (OEM) engine mounts (10 miles)
Replacement transmission with less than 75,000 miles on it.
Genuine Leather seat covers & leather arm rest.
H4 headlamp housings w/ Osram Silverstars
Sound deadening throughout trunk and cabin.
JDM Clear corners and clear bumper lights.
4 x High performance Summer Tires (Hankook Ventus RS-2) (215/45/16) on 16 inch Sport Edition 5 spoke rims (3,000 miles)
4 x High performance Winter Tires (General Altlimax Artic) (195/60/15) on 15 inch Sport Edition 6 spoke rims (Brand new)
CD Player
Power Windows
Body in mint condition (Spent last 13 years in California in dry, dry weather, no rust)
Recently professionally detailed paintwork to restore near original factory condition appearance.
Momo Aluminium pedals and footrest.
NGK Iridium plugs & wires
Custom CAI
New floor mats (still have originals too)
New carbon fiber trim on front of hood (still have old peices too)

This is all I can think of that may be of value. I have put a fair amount of money into this baby in a quest to make it perfect. I stil have the odd niggling issue like a fuse problem and a small oil leak but nothing that can't be fixed in a weekend. So, the question is......am I going to regret this (i'm probably asking the wrong people as you're all biased!!!) and how much can i realistically get for the whole package? I have an idea but am curious ot see what others think. I live in Chicago.

I'm going to post some pics soon, but only once I have given it a wash and the weather isn't heinous.

Slider
12-17-2008, 06:25 AM
It's a tough time to sell a car. Just post up some good pictures and list it on autotrader and craigslist for $3300 OBO. Just be ready for some low ballers on craigslist. If there's no biters lower the price, should sell eventually if you have the time.

If you want to get rid of it sooner, I would list it for around 2k with one set of rims, no jdm corners and lights, and regular halogen headlights. Sell the parts off seperately if the buyer does not want them.

Simonhla
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
It's a tough time to sell a car. Just post up some good pictures and list it on autotrader and craigslist for $3300 OBO. Just be ready for some low ballers on craigslist. If there's no biters lower the price, should sell eventually if you have the time.

If you want to get rid of it sooner, I would list it for around 2k with one set of rims, no jdm corners and lights, and regular halogen headlights. Sell the parts off seperately if the buyer does not want them.

Bah Humbug.
I'm not in a rush to sell it.
With all the work i've put into it and how well it runs and looks (especially with a rebuild etc) I am aiming to get $4k for it. I guess I may be being optimistic. I am waiting until the spring/summer until I put in on the market because that is the best time for a car like this. I suppose $3500 ish wouldn't be bad.

ciento44
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
If this was manual, i'm sure GT4RCDude would be very interested. :(

Good luck with whatever you choose!

theorhetoric
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
nobody is gonna give you 4 grand for that...

ciento44
12-18-2008, 09:47 PM
nobody is gonna give you 4 grand for that...

ERmmm..... why not?

METDeath
12-18-2008, 11:29 PM
4k is a fair price for a freshly rebuilt car, sure it's a coupe and an auto, but some people like those things.

85gtsblackman
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
i agree to a point, 4k during these time u can buy a newer faster factory car that hasnt been modded

Simonhla
12-19-2008, 05:05 AM
I agree 4k is probably pushing it but I would rather keep it than take anything less than 3k. Rebuilt engine and new suspension etc. this car has a lot going for it. Looking through used car listings there is little else I would prefer to spend 3k to 4k on. Plus no-one wnating a fast car would buy a celica anyway. It's merely a reliable car that is fuel efficent, looks cool as hell and is nicely peppy.

Murgatroy
12-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Keep it, you will be happier.

The only way someone would pay $4k for it is if they were buying it from a Buy Here Pay Here.

Trade in won't get you more than $500.

If you aren't willing to take $2500 (being realistic) I would keep it. You will be happier in the long run. Plus you can never have too many cars.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, or be short and rude like others. But you have a lot of time, effort and love put into that car that someone frankly isn't going to care about. All they are going to see is an 18 year old used car.

I think you would be happier keeping it than going through the insulting process of trying to sell it in this market.

theorhetoric
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Keep it, you will be happier.

The only way someone would pay $4k for it is if they were buying it from a Buy Here Pay Here.

Trade in won't get you more than $500.

If you aren't willing to take $2500 (being realistic) I would keep it. You will be happier in the long run. Plus you can never have too many cars.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, or be short and rude like others. But you have a lot of time, effort and love put into that car that someone frankly isn't going to care about. All they are going to see is an 18 year old used car.

I think you would be happier keeping it than going through the insulting process of trying to sell it in this market.
^^^^^^^^^^

really what I was trying to get across...didn't mean to be rude..

Chris
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Might as well keep it. Save up, and just work a bit harder for that BMW or Mercedes. The Celica will make a good winter beater, or if nothing else, just a good backup car.

Simonhla
12-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I guess. It's make or break time for a sale because if it has any real value then it has it now when the car is rust free and engine brand new. But give it a few winters here in Chicago and it's going to become a rust bucket....so sad.

I guess upon reflection I'm just going to drive her into the ground.

Ghosty
12-20-2008, 07:35 PM
With a rebuilt engine in an 18 year old car, keeping it DD is probably your best option.

You're only talking about a matter of $2k here, really. Like Murg says, you could work just a little harder for that $2k and still keep the celica.

That way, you won't have to abuse your nice BMW or Mercedes in the Chicago winters!

You even got snow tires for that car. It's a really good winter beater!