PDA

View Full Version : VC Question

solarinsocal
12-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi guys, I posted this on alltrac.net but the responses have been a little slow. I was wondering if someone on here would be able to give me some insight if possible. I didn't know where to post this so if it's in the wrong spot please move it. Thanks.

I had an incident the other day that I'd like some clarification on if possible. I was going up a driveway that was a little deep. Actually deep enought that when entered at an angle I lifted the passenger rear wheel. I had to stop there to wait for a gate to open. As the gate opened and I let out the clutch, the wheel that was off of the ground was spinning but I had no movement. If I recall, the VC should be able to send power to the front if one axle is spinning correct? This would mean to me that the front should have had some sort of power to move the vehicle forward. The only thing I can think of is that the incline I was on was a little too steep for the VC to be able to move up. Anyway, I put the car in reverse and let it roll back a little to gain enough traction on the loose wheel to move forward again. Any insights into this? Thanks.

Shadowlife25
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Send AllTracman78 a PM and ask him. He'd know more about that. :)
I'd love to answer you, but I honestly have no idea why it would not engage.

-Mario

Trance4c
12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
91 Alltrac you say? stock it was an open rear diff. though I believe it was an option, but I believe no USDM cars got a torsen rear end.

The front should have been able to power through though. How many miles are on it? The VC front/rear might be worn.. but it should be the front to spin, not the rear. Should be all time AWD

Sounds like a bad deal.

solarinsocal
12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Hey thanks guys for the response. Since the rear doesn't have a lsd the other rear wheel with traction will not provide forward movement but why not the front? If I recall, I read somewhere that when the VC begins to go bad it will lean toward locking. Anyway, kind of lost on this one. Car has 186K miles at the moment. Thanks.